• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support Legacy SmugMug Customization Simple blog = Gallery with style of "journal"

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun-18-2007, 06:22 AM
#1
Protographer is offline Protographer OP
Big grins
Simple blog = Gallery with style of "journal"
For those of you looking for a very, very (Did I say very? ) simple blog-like construct within SmugMug, consider setting your Gallery's style to Journal.

This style doesn't give you a full-featured Blog by any means but it does give you the option to present your photos, in the order that you specify with your comments as captions in an almost-blog-like way. It took me a looooong time to find this.

I do have a couple of questions:
  1. Visitors can post general comments about the gallery but could someone tell me how to get both photo ranking and visitor comments for individual photos working?
  2. Andy, your SmugMug blog, http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/ is very attractive. Is it a full-fledged blog running outside SmugMug or were you able to do it all from withing SmugMug?
Thanks.
Old Jun-18-2007, 10:19 AM
#2
iamback is offline iamback
Grinning back!
iamback's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protographer
Andy, your SmugMug blog, http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/ is very attractive. Is it a full-fledged blog running outside SmugMug or were you able to do it all from withing SmugMug?
Isee this in the source:
Code:
<‎‎meta name="generator" content="smug WordPress 2.0.2" />
__________________
Marjolein Katsma
Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
Old Jun-21-2007, 06:44 AM
#3
Protographer is offline Protographer OP
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Isee this in the source:
Code:
<‎‎meta name="generator" content="smug WordPress 2.0.2" />
Sorry, this tells me that Andy's using WordPress to generate his content, not much more than that. It doesn't tell me where his "blog" is hosted or how many of the WordPress features he is using.

It looks like Andy's blog, http://blogs.smugmug.com/pro, may actually be hosted at blogs.smugmug.com. I don't think it's redirected outside SmugMug, like some of his colleagues' SmugMug blogs are, because looking up blogs.smugmug.com shows its IP address to be 63.81.134.23 which appears to be SmugMug server pluto.smugmug.com.

I understand that SmugMug does not offer blogging as one of its services, so I guess I am asking:
  1. Is what Andy, with his SmugMug "blog", and some (but not all) of his colleagues, with theirs, are doing is using an internal SmugMug capability, one that is not being made available to SmugMug customers?
  2. Is there a set of SmugMug capabilites that come closer to blogging than using a gallery of style Journal?
  3. Is it possible to get both photo ranking and visitor comments for individual photos in a gallery with style Journal?
I merely want to display photos, with the ability to order them, in a fashion resembling a blog. Using a gallery style of Journal comes quite close to what I want (especially if photo ranking and photo comments are possible), but I'm wondering if there are other SmugMug features that might help me get even closer to the "look-and-feel" of a blog but with the ability to sell the photos being dispalyed. Maybe a gallery of style Journal is the best I can do. Thanks.
Old Jun-21-2007, 07:01 AM
#4
Andy is offline Andy
4/3s of a photographer
Andy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protographer
[*]Is what Andy, with his SmugMug "blog", and some (but not all) of his colleagues, with theirs, are doing is using an internal SmugMug capability, one that is not being made available to SmugMug customers?
Not available to customers. But you can make your own blog using any of the popular blogging services :)
Quote:
[*]Is there a set of SmugMug capabilites that come closer to blogging than using a gallery of style Journal?
Journal.
Quote:
[*]Is it possible to get both photo ranking and visitor comments for individual photos in a gallery with style Journal?[/LIST]
Yes, sure.
Old Jun-21-2007, 07:39 AM
#5
Protographer is offline Protographer OP
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protographer
Is it possible to get both photo ranking and visitor comments for individual photos in a gallery with style Journal?
Yes, sure.
Then I must be missing something in gallery http://protographer.smugmug.com/gallery/2950441. When set to styles other than journal, e.g., smugmug, a visitor is given an opportunity to leave photo-specific comments and ratings or gallery-specific comments and ratings. I do not see this opportunity when I use style: journal for this gallery. Only gallery-specific comments and ratings appear possible. What am I missing, please? Thanks.
Old Jun-21-2007, 07:44 AM
#6
Andy is offline Andy
4/3s of a photographer
Andy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protographer
Then I must be missing something in gallery http://protographer.smugmug.com/gallery/2950441. When set to styles other than gallery, e.g., smugmug, a visitor is given an opportunity to leave photo-specific comments and ratings or gallery-specific comments and ratings. I do not see this opportunity when I use style: journal for this gallery. Only gallery-specific comments and ratings appear possible. What am I missing, please? Thanks.
Set it to journal style. PhotoRank thumbs are on each photo. Gallery comments can be made on the Journal Page. Photo comments must be made on the single image pages (click a photo from within journal style).
Old Jun-21-2007, 07:47 AM
#7
Allen is offline Allen
"tweak 'til it squeaks"
Allen's Avatar
If you upload one photo to a journal gallery then hide it the comments will
show at the bottom. Without a photo in the html gallery the comments will
not show.


I think that's how it works.
__________________
Al - Just a volunteer here having fun :D
My Website my Blog
Mozilla Firefox Web Developer Firebug
Customization FAQ Banner/Navbar/Slideshow Tutor
Old Jun-21-2007, 08:18 AM
#8
Protographer is offline Protographer OP
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Set it to journal style. PhotoRank thumbs are on each photo.
Only when I mouse-over a photo. I haven't yet figured out what purpose these "thumbs" actually serve. Still learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Gallery comments can be made on the Journal Page. Photo comments must be made on the single image pages (click a photo from within journal style).
And individual photo star-ratings must be made on the single image pages.

How can I set a visitor's default gallery style to be journal, instead of smugmug, without removing a visitor's ability to change to a different style?

Why does "your preferred size: S M L Original" show up on a visitor's view of a photo when large and original sizes have been disabled? I know that the visitor cannot see large and original images but why does this listing show up this way?

Thanks.

Last edited by Protographer; Jun-21-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old Jun-21-2007, 08:28 AM
#9
Protographer is offline Protographer OP
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen
If you upload one photo to a journal gallery then hide it the comments will show at the bottom. Without a photo in the html gallery the comments will not show.
Sorry, I don't follow.

I have more than one photo in a gallery and it wan't clear to me, until Andy explained it to me, how my vistors could leave, and read, comments and ratings when that gallewry was viewed with style set to journal.
Old Jun-21-2007, 02:22 PM
#10
andreas is offline andreas
Major grins
andreas's Avatar
Hi,
interesting questions.
I guess it is best to use some of the well known blog software packages and customize them to look like your smugmug site including navigation. Then add the link to your navigation.

Have to try this myself :-)
As a news page...
__________________
cheers,
andreas
www.andreaswerth.net

Old Jun-21-2007, 06:53 PM
#11
Protographer is offline Protographer OP
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Hi, interesting questions. I guess it is best to use some of the well known blog software packages and customize them to look like your smugmug site including navigation.
That wouldn't work for me:
  1. I don't want to link to photos from outside SmugMug and
  2. I can't sell prints from an outside blog
Old Jun-21-2007, 08:32 PM
#12
caroline is offline caroline
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protographer
That wouldn't work for me:
  1. I don't want to link to photos from outside SmugMug and
  2. I can't sell prints from an outside blog
1. Why not just upload the images individually to your external blog from another location then ?

2. Why would you want to ? surely a link back to your site would do the trick?

Caroline
__________________
Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
Old Jun-22-2007, 03:34 AM
#13
Protographer is offline Protographer OP
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline
1. Why not just upload the images individually to your external blog from another location then ?
Why would I possibly want to do that? I don't want an outside blog. I want the protections that SmugMug provides for my photos (I know those protections aren't perfect.) and I don't want to maintain photos in two places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline
2. Why would you want to ? surely a link back to your site would do the trick?
That would be awkward. People would have to leave the blog every time they wanted to add a photo to their shopping cart. It seems like that would make it very awkward for them to purchase prints. Also, since the galleries are password protected I am not sure that linking would work. Lastly, allowing external linking creates potential security and privacy issues that I'd rather not have.

Most importantly, I don't want a blog for a blog's sake. I merely want a blog-like layout for my galleries. I am quite happy using a gallery of style journal based on Andy's very helpful explanations. It's actually a plus that a visitor can change to "thumbs" or one ot the other styles.
Old Jun-22-2007, 03:45 AM
#14
Protographer is offline Protographer OP
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protographer
How can I set a visitor's default gallery style to be journal, instead of smugmug, without eliminating a visitor's ability to change to a different style?
Any ideas?
Old Jun-22-2007, 04:19 AM
#15
birchfield is offline birchfield
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protographer
Any ideas?
Is this what you're looking for?


Force a viewing style via a URL so that the viewer starts with a certain style:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=117058#post117058
__________________
.
James Singh Photography <-- my site!!
Old Jun-22-2007, 04:19 AM
#16
ivar is offline ivar
I'd be happy with a cookie
ivar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by birchfield
Is this what you're looking for?


Force a viewing style via a URL so that the viewer starts with a certain style:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52811 #48
__________________
Ivar
www.ivarborst.nl & smugmug
Old Jun-22-2007, 05:21 AM
#17
Protographer is offline Protographer OP
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by birchfield
Is this what you're looking for?
Force a viewing style via a URL so that the viewer starts with a certain style:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=117058#post117058
Absolutely!!! Works like a charm. Thanks very much.
Old Jun-22-2007, 10:44 AM
#18
caroline is offline caroline
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protographer
Why would I possibly want to do that? I don't want an outside blog. I want the protections that SmugMug provides for my photos (I know those protections aren't perfect.) and I don't want to maintain photos in two places.That would be awkward. People would have to leave the blog every time they wanted to add a photo to their shopping cart. It seems like that would make it very awkward for them to purchase prints. Also, since the galleries are password protected I am not sure that linking would work. Lastly, allowing external linking creates potential security and privacy issues that I'd rather not have.

Most importantly, I don't want a blog for a blog's sake. I merely want a blog-like layout for my galleries. I am quite happy using a gallery of style journal based on Andy's very helpful explanations. It's actually a plus that a visitor can change to "thumbs" or one ot the other styles.
Sorry if i misunderstood what you are wanting to achieve
Caroline
__________________
Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
Old Jun-22-2007, 10:16 PM
#19
Protographer is offline Protographer OP
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline
Sorry if i misunderstood what you are wanting to achieve
Caroline
No problem. Thanks for the willingness to help.
Tell The World!  

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump