Options

"Access violation" error in Colour-Science i2e (image editor)

ProtographerProtographer Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited August 25, 2007 in Finishing School
I am currently waiting to hear from Colour-Science about an access violation error I am getting on one of the two Windows XP Pro SP2 computers on which I am trying out i2e (image editor). Of course this problem is occurring on the computer which I wish to use to run i2e.:dunno In particular I get:
Error: Access violation at 0x0040363C (tried to write to 0x0040363C), program terminated.
Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found what caused the problem on their system and, if so, what was it?
PS I AM NOT asking for advice on things to try to fix the problem. I AM asking about people's experiences with i2e and this error. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    I am currently waiting to hear from Colour-Science about an access violation error I am getting on one of the two Windows XP Pro SP2 computers on which I am trying out i2e (image editor). Of course this problem is occurring on the computer which I wish to use to run i2e.ne_nau.gif In particular I get:
    Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found what caused the problem on their system and, if so, what was it?
    PS I AM NOT asking for advice on things to try to fix the problem. I AM asking about people's experiences with i2e and this error. Thanks.
    I have it installed on three computers - never seen this, sorry :(

Wait for Frank to write back to you.

Or do the classic, deinstall, reinstall, I guess?
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    ... Or do the classic, deinstall, reinstall, I guess?
    Done that. Tried an older buld that Frank sent. Tried a "safe mode" install. Tried disabling the Microsoft Color Management applet. Tried using only a single monitor (I use a dual monitor setup). Will still try, if I have the time before my trial runs out (unlikely), to install to an earlier, less complicated version of my system. I keep incremental images of my system so, in theory anyway, I might be able to isolate the changes to my system that keep this program from working. Unfortunately that takes a lot of time, time I don't have right now.

Since an "access violation" usually results from a program's trying to access a memory location outside its assigned range, your sugggestion to await Frank's further advice is the best course of action.

I was, however, curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I have it installed on three computers - never seen this, sorry :(
    After downloading and installing the trial version of Image Editor is there something else that needs to be done? Some kind of user profile to set up before it will work?

For example, Frank sent me a "fix clock code" for a version of I2E that failed on my system due to a "system clock" error but he didn't say what I was supposed to do with the code. Since the program fails with this error right after launching, there seems to be no opportunity to do anything with this code. There must be some initializtion process that's independent of the main application. Also, I thought at some point I read, somewhere, about some "trial" code that somehow needed to be specified to run a trial of I2E but I cannot be certain.

Checking Image Editor with Microsoft's Application Verifier indicates, among other things, that "The USERPROFILE environment variable could not be found." and that "Initialization failed.".

So, would those of you who have run (a trial of) this program successfully, please tell me what else you had to do besides downloading it, installing it and launching it. I am beginning to get the feeling that there is some step here which I am missing. I was unable to find anything on the Colour-Science web site. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2007
    Frank says: "We tried to find out what happens on your PC, but we really cannot see what the problem is. However this seems to be an isolated case because we never had such a problem with Image Editor. We have already had over a hundred successful installs of the latest build, so I think there must be something fundamentally different with your PC.
    It's quite likely! I tend to push the limits of my PCs, their OSes and the applications I run.

At the moment I am able to run i2e on two out of three PCs on which I tried it. Of course, it won't run on the newest, most powerful one of these, the one I want to use for, among other things, photo processing. On this computer it won't run even with only a basic Windows XP Pro SP2 installation and a minumum of additional software. The PC itself has an Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard, an Intel Core™2 Duo E6400 processor. 2 GB of memory and an Nvidia dual display video card (exact model number escapes me).

If the error messsage I am getting ("access violation") can to be believed (and I'm not at all sure that it can ne_nau.gif), i2e is trying to specify an address outside its specified address space. There has to be something about my system that is triggering the problem. The trick is to determine what that might be.

So, to find out what the fundamental difference is between my PC and all those hundreds out there running i2e successfully, would you please tell me if you have successfully run i2e on a computer with:
    1. 2 GB of memory [Frank, of Colour-Science, says: tried this, works OK]
    2. an Intel® Core™2 Duo processor. e.g., E6300, E6320, E6400, E6420, E6600 or E6700.
      [Frank also says: tried older dual processors, those were OK too]
    3. both 2GB of memory and an Intel® Core™2 Duo processor
    4. an Nvidia video card
    5. [FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]operating in dual monitor mode[/FONT]
    6. [FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]All of the above[/FONT]
    Please also indicate which version of i2E you are able to run. I am having trouble with two different builds of version 2.4.3.

Next week I'll be trying out the affected system with one processor disabled, one monitor disabled and eventually with a different video card (I have to scrounge one first). I'll also try all these things with a new Win XP Pro SP2 installation. After that I'm out of ideas as to reasonably obvious (memory related) things that might casue an otherwise working program to generate an "access violation" on my PC, and, it seems, on my PC only (and then on only one out of three - it works on two others, but they're too slow to be usable with i2e).ne_nau.gif Thanks.
    I won't have access to this computer again for the next two weeks, so I cannot try anything else out until the end of June. At that time, I'll try to see what happens with a completely fresh Win XP Pro SP2 install on a completely reformated HD partition, with no other s/w installed except i2e.

In the meantime thanks for any info about successful i2e insatallations on computers with the above characteristics.

Andy, is there a better place to post this request?
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2007
    Does i2e work on your dual-processor, dual-monitor system with Nvidia video card?
    So, to find out what the fundamental difference is between my PC and all those hundreds out there running i2e successfully, would you please tell me if you have successfully run i2e on a computer with:
    1. 2 GB of memory [Frank, of Colour-Science, says: tried this, works OK]
    2. an Intel® Core™2 Duo processor. e.g., E6300, E6320, E6400, E6420, E6600 or E6700.
      [Frank also says: tried older dual processors, those were OK too]
    3. both 2GB of memory and an Intel® Core™2 Duo processor
    4. an Nvidia video card
    5. [FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]operating in dual monitor mode[/FONT]
    6. [FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]All of the above[/FONT]
    Please also indicate which version of i2E you are able to run. I am having trouble with two different builds of version 2.4.3.
    So, is anyone willing to share their "success" story with i2e on a computer with 2, 3, 4, 5 and/or 6 above?

Next week I'll be trying out the affected system with one processor disabled, one monitor disabled and eventually with a different video card (I have to scrounge one first). I'll also try all these things with a new Win XP Pro SP2 installation. After that I'm out of ideas as to reasonably obvious (memory related) things that might casue an otherwise working program to generate an "access violation" on my PC, and, it seems, on my PC only (and then on only one out of three - it works on two others, but they're too slow to be usable with i2e).ne_nau.gif Thanks.
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    So, is anyone willing to share their "success" story with i2e on a computer with 2, 3, 4, 5 and/or 6 above?

#4 for me. I'm not at home right now so I cannot say which Nvidia card I use. (I'll update this later tonight with the model.) Runnung the most current version of Image Editor on a Win XP Home OS.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    #4 for me. I'm not at home right now so I cannot say which Nvidia card I use. (I'll update this later tonight with the model.) Runnung the most current version of Image Editor on a Win XP Home OS.
    Thanks, much appreciated.
    clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:

I was mistaken about the video card. My backup PC has the Nvidia card in it and I do not have IE loaded there. The PC where I use Image Editor has an 256mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 XT card. So I guess I do not fit #4 either. Sorry! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    I was mistaken about the video card. My backup PC has the Nvidia card in it and I do not have IE loaded there. The PC where I use Image Editor has an 256mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 XT card. So I guess I do not fit #4 either. Sorry! ne_nau.gif
    No problem. I still appreciate the attempt.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Mine doesn't start anymore, either. I get this.

166520238-M.jpg

Typical PC crap, IMHO.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2007
    The error I get now when I try to launch Image Editor Version 2.5.1 is
    "Error: Access violation at 0x004036A8 (tried to write 0x004036A8), program terminated".

The error I used to get when I tried to launch Image Editor Version 2.4.3, as reported earlier in this thread, was
    "Error: Access violation at 0x0040363C (tried to write 0x0040363C), program terminated".

The offset of the error has changed slightly with the newer version.

I don't suppose anyone else has run into this problem yet? Better yet found a solution? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2007
    The error I get now when I try to launch Image Editor Version 2.5.1 is
    "Error: Access violation at 0x004036A8 (tried to write 0x004036A8), program terminated".

The error I used to get when I tried to launch Image Editor Version 2.4.3, as reported earlier in this thread, was
    "Error: Access violation at 0x0040363C (tried to write 0x0040363C), program terminated".

The offset of the error has changed slightly with the newer version.

I don't suppose anyone else has run into this problem yet? Better yet found a solution? ne_nau.gif
    What does colour-science say? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    What does colour-science say? ear.gif
    Frank, of Colour Science, says: "I have no idea what this could be. We have about 20 installations per week and people reported bugs but never something like this.". His people are at a loss to explain it. I seem to be the only person, ever, to have experienced this problem with i2e. A similar problem has been reported with FotoFix, which seems to have an i2e plugin (http://www.ffsf.de/showthread.php?t=5082) and I am exploring this, but it is unlikely to be related.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2007
    Frank, of Colour Science, says: "I have no idea what this could be. We have about 20 installations per week and people reported bugs but never something like this.". His people are at a loss to explain it. I seem to be the only person, ever, to have experienced this problem with i2e. A similar problem has been reported with FotoFix, which seems to have an i2e plugin (http://www.ffsf.de/showthread.php?t=5082) and I am exploring this, but it is unlikely to be related.
    I'm going with Waxy's explanation, above. Stupid Windows...
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2007

Protographer, check out this thread http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&mid=b1d68fa2-d98d-4753-a116-aede59f44c90 on a Windows newsgroup. It talks about using the Event log to determine what is going on with Windows and Image Editor. Once you have the log info I'd post this problem on this board and I'll wager someone there will be able to help.