Options

A Few Point and Shoot shots from Marc's Shootout in Utah

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
edited June 4, 2007 in Landscapes
I frequently hear that one needs fancy cameras to take really good pictures ( as opposed to a good eye perhaps:D ) That point and shoots shots are too noisy.

So I thought I would shoot some of my shots with a Lumix DMC-LX1 and see it that is really true. It sports an 8 Mpxl sensor.

Here are a few that I took handheld with my Lumix. I am just beginning to start processing of my other shots from Utah.

Temple of the Sun at sunset

157634656-L.jpg

Prince's Plume in Valley of the Gods

[imgl]http://Pathfinder.smugmug.com/photos/157635284-L.jpg[/imgl]

[imgr]http://Pathfinder.smugmug.com/photos/157634955-L.jpg[/imgr]

Dgrinners at work

157633984-L.jpg

Flowers at Sunrise at Factory Butte

157636444-L.jpg

Tree in Natural Bridges

158246765-L.jpg

Mormon Tea

158248008-L.jpg

Good light really does seem to matter:clap I will carry my Lumix more frequently now that I see that it is capable and convenient.

More from Utah can be seen here
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Really nice shots and thanks for the grounding. I'm shooting with a Sony H1 super zoom and can get decent shots but I know that it's a lot about composition, lighting, and experience. That certainly shows in your shots. Having said that, after 1 1/2 years of shooting I can begin to feel the limitations of the Sony and am starting to think about a dSLR such as the Pentax K100 or Nikon D40. But I know that a better camera doesn't necessarily mean better pictures and I just need to keep shooting and getting as many brutal critiques as possible. I enjoy learning from shots such as these, but then get frustrated because I can't reproduce what I have seen, yet (I hope).

Thanks for the pictures....
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Pathfinder,

Thanks for giving the name of that plant! The only one I knew was Brigham Tea. I think your point-and-shoot photos are as good or even better than the ones I processed from my 30D. Maybe I should look into upgrading my Elph. :D
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Hi Stephanie,

Do not give up on your 30D - it is far, more capable than my little LX1. I was just trying to show that even diminutive cameras can make lovely images when great subjects are illuminated with great light. Better cameras can do even better with great subjects and great light. What I need is a better eye to help me recognize the better light shining on the better subject:D

I am glad you liked the shots. The Prince's Plum was just so lovely that day when lit up by a a totally overcast sky. Just goes to show that sunrise and sunset are not the only time of day for some pictures. Overcast days are dynamite for macros and close ups, so that was what I went looking for that morning.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your shots - I love your quirky humor and unusual points of view. It helps stimulate me to try new things and new points of view. The best artists always steal ideas from each other, you know.

To continue the comparison of P&S virtues vs DSLRs, here are two shots of cactus flowers, one by an LX-1 and one by my 1DsMkll. Which image is the better image? Which has better DOF? Better bokeh? Better color? Red or Yellow?

158246894-M.jpg

158278189-L.jpg

• Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am looking forward to seeing more of your shots - I love your quirky humor and unusual points of view. It helps stimulate me to try new things and new points of view. The best artists always steal ideas from each other, you know.
    Thanks for the kind words! And "every artist is a thief," I agree. I borrowed some ideas from Nightingale's flower photos, that's for sure.

rolleyes1.gif

BTW, I have had a heck of time processing that one yellow flower shot that Marc dubbed "Miracle Gro." I scrapped it, actually, because I was having so much trouble getting it to look decent. I was thinking about posting it it one of the Wild Utah threads to see if you guys wanted to take a shot at it.

I vote #2 as the 1D photo!
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words! And "every artist is a thief," I agree. I borrowed some ideas from Nightingale's flower photos, that's for sure.

rolleyes1.gif

BTW, I have had a heck of time processing that one yellow flower shot that Marc dubbed "Miracle Gro." I scrapped it, actually, because I was having so much trouble getting it to look decent. I was thinking about posting it it one of the Wild Utah threads to see if you guys wanted to take a shot at it.

I vote #2 as the 1D photo!

I can't seem to find your Miracle Gro shot, Stephanie, so go ahead and start a thread with it with a link to the original file if possible, or post it in Finishing School and maybe some of the retouching pros there can give you some help.

Yellow flowers are very, very easy to blow out in the red channel. I had to be very careful in my yellow cactus flower about the red channel.

Actually......, I did not ask which camera shot which image. I asked "Which image is the better image? Which has better DOF? Better bokeh? Better color? Red or Yellow?":D:D

Care to comment about those questions?

And yes, you did surmise the correct camera used for number 2.thumb.gif

• Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Great shots Pathfinder
    Pathfinder,
    You got some great shots with your point and shoot. I am looking forward to seeing more of your shots from your 1D Mark111.

pathfinder wrote:
    I can't seem to find your Miracle Gro shot, Stephanie, so go ahead and start a thread with it with a link to the original file if possible, or post it in Finishing School and maybe some of the retouching pros there can give you some help.

Yellow flowers are very, very easy to blow out in the red channel. I had to be very careful in my yellow cactus flower about the red channel.

Actually......, I did not ask which camera shot which image. I asked "Which image is the better image? Which has better DOF? Better bokeh? Better color? Red or Yellow?":D:D

Care to comment about those questions?

And yes, you did surmise the correct camera used for number 2.thumb.gif
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Fantastic pictures pathfinder !!!

Maybe should I reconsider to rebuy some SonoMinoKoni
    or other XXI Century digital wonder ne_nau.gifwink
    ?
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    slflash wrote:
    Pathfinder,
    You got some great shots with your point and shoot. I am looking forward to seeing more of your shots from your 1D Mark111.

Hi Sheilathumb.gif

No 1DMklll yet. It sounds like a lovely beast, but still as far as I know is only vaporware for those of us in the street:D

• Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Pathfinder,

I posted a new thread here. If anyone feels it is better placed in Finishing School, I apologize.

*gets ready to dodge stones*

As for the two flower photos, I prefer the second. I think the bokeh looks a bit smoother, definitely more uniform to me (though I don't know why that would be, maybe the composition?), and the yellows seems smoother to me, even though you say they are difficult.

I don't really have the kind of technically critical eye that I see around here on Dgrin, though. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2007
    Stephanie,

I agree that the yellow cactus flower had less apparent grain than the the red cactus flowers - there are twice as many pixels in the sensor for the yellow flowers.

The DOF is shallower due to the larger sensor and larger aperture the image was shot at. But I was struck by how little real difference there is in the two images, especially in a print I bet.

• Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Hi Sheilathumb.gif

No 1DMklll yet. It sounds like a lovely beast, but still as far as I know is only vaporware for those of us in the street:D
    \

OOpps,
    Me fingers got typing faster than my brain was functioning I meant your 1DsMkll. I stand corrected and humbly bow to the master!!bowdown.gif

I think I am dreaming about the next upgrade!!

Sheila
  • Options
    MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    Pathfinder

These are all great shots. It looks like you guys had a great time. I wish I could make it out to one of these gatherings. Well, I can't wait to see what else you guys got.

MIK
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    Hi Jim

Great photos. I especially like the second one, the yellow flowers against the red rocks. I think your photos prove that the most important ingredients in a good photo are (in order):

1. the photographer
    2. the light
    3. the subject
    4. the camera

thumb.gif
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Jim
    These are great images! It looks as though you enjoyed using that camera. I have always considered shooting an entire coffee table book with a point and shootne_nau.gif Now days, with 10+ mp it would be difficult to tell. I reallly like the light on the second image of the Princes Plum flowers and the glow under the rock ledge in the background.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2007
    Thanks Marc.clap.gif

It was an overcast morning that morning and in the blue/grey light the Prince's Plume were everywhere, and just glowing so brightly.

I shot several different frames of them, but that one in front of the red rocks was my favorite also.

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I frequently hear that one needs fancy cameras to take really good pictures ( as opposed to a good eye perhaps:D ) That point and shoots shots are too noisy.
    So I thought I would shoot some of my shots with a Lumix DMC-LX1 and see it that is really true. It sports an 8 Mpxl sensor.
    Here are a few that I took handheld with my Lumix. I am just beginning to start processing of my other shots from Utah.
    Temple of the Sun at sunset
    Prince's Plume in Valley of the Gods
    Dgrinners at work
    Flowers at Sunrise at Factory Butte
    Tree in Natural Bridges
    Mormon Tea
    Good light really does seem to matterclap.gif I will carry my Lumix more frequently now that I see that it is capable and convenient.
    More from Utah can be seen here

Hi there Jim, this lot look great, that's quite the rock formation, with some real nice light hitting it too clap.gif well next one's Glacier,
    looking forward to meeting up with you and your dear wife later in the year.
    Thanks for sharing thumb.gif ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin