Options

Wild Utah

Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
edited July 27, 2007 in Landscapes
Wild Utah was as wild as ever from sunup to sundown. We "chased da light" and when it ran out we made our own!

155605103-L.jpg
Colorado National Monument
155618478-L.jpg
Goblin Valley

Our local guide, Gary George from Hondoo Rivers and Trails, shared his incredible knowledge of the geography and history of the land in his own flavorfull way

155589225-L.jpg

Here are some highlights from the first day. More to come and more to come from eveyone who partook in the shooting frenzy:barb

Marc Muench

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2007
    155092731-L.jpg

Left to right: Marc, Ian, Dan K, Henry Dechert, FredW, Sheila Latta, DavidTO, Schmoo, Pathfinder, Nightingale, Phil Hutson, Andy, Marc (again!).
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2007
    I have not even had a chance to touch the "real" photos yet because I found once I got home that I have been shooting too much and have no more space on the HD at home. :(:

Time to go shopping.

That said, I did manage to upload all the point-and-shoot photos, AKA the fun stuff. They are all here.
    155425422-M.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited May 23, 2007
    Just rolled in. Wow! What a trip it was. I'll get to processing in a while--I've
    got a serious case of the shakes from the Red Bull drive :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2007
    Goblin Valley
    What a great trip!!!! Just starting to process a few of the 1st day's pic's. I think that the Goblins really do come out at night !!!

155706349-L.jpg

155706450-L.jpg

155706343-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2007
    Fred! Schmoo! Great to have met you both.

Here's another...

155036089-M.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited May 23, 2007
    Nightingale and I are still in Utah, and will not begin to process images until next week.

What a great experience, great folks, great scenery, and great pros!! Marc and Andy are the best photo guides ever!!

Here are two shots from our time with the crew in Utah...

155548908-L.jpg

153643605-M.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:

155548908-Th.jpg

Jim, it was great to see you and Nightingale again! One thing I love about these workshops is the different takes we all have on the same area - love your cracked mud and flower! Here's a pano, 8 shots, portrait-orientation, Canon 5D and Canon 24 TS-E:
    155776321-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2007
    Ian and Fred, glad to hear you both made it back OK! I look forward to seeing you (and everyone else I met) again at future workshops and shootouts.

Jim - I love that photo of the flowers. That is some sweet light if I ever learned to identify it.

Marc and Andy - I learned so much, my notetaking skills went into overdrive! I hope to be able to retain it all. My cheeks also hurt from laughing so much.

Here is my take on the panoramas at Cathedral Valley. One of the things I enjoyed the most is getting to see and play with all the schmancy equipment that I otherwise wouldn't have known about. A particular thank you to David for helping me with this one:

155427286-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    The semi-official ride of Wild Utah in IR.

156007243-M.jpg

Ok, so it was the ride we all took and maybe not the official kind but the
    'burb got us all through Wild Utah!
  • Options
    BlinkingsBlinkings Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    I traveled through the US several years back and loved my time in Utah. I pitched my humble tent near many of these spots, and you have captured them very well
    All the best,
    Andrew
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    I have not even had a chance to touch the "real" photos yet because I found once I got home that I have been shooting too much and have no more space on the HD at home. :(:

Time to go shopping.

That said, I did manage to upload all the point-and-shoot photos, AKA the fun stuff. They are all here.
    155425422-M.jpg

Stephanie,

I finally got back into the world of true internet access (i.e. not incredibly slow, inconsistent and frustrating), and had the opportunity to go through your snapshots. You are a hoot. I loved reliving our Workshop with your captions.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Stephanie,

I finally got back into the world of true internet access (i.e. not incredibly slow, inconsistent and frustrating), and had the opportunity to go through your snapshots. You are a hoot. I loved reliving our Workshop with your captions.

Thanks David! I hoped someone would appreciate them. :D
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Schmoo, I realise now that you hate the evil red sand, but your pictures actually made me a little homesick! (Not for Hanksville, but for the west in general lol). Thanks for sharing them! :D
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Thanks David! I hoped someone would appreciate them. :D

I enjoyed your pics, Schmoo, but especially enjoyed the running commentary!!! Sounds like you had some good times. :D
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    schmooo wrote:

Time to go shopping.

Stephanie,

Your coments and photos are greatrolleyes1.gif Next time I think I need to pre edit everyones images though:D
    My camera took a plung into the RED SAND three days following the workshop! I think it was something like the call of the wild/red sandheadscratch.gif

I,m happy to see you survived the elements and I look forward to seeing those cliff hanger shots from you.

Guide, waiter, driver, hat hanger, oh ya and photographer!
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    Fred W wrote:
    What a great trip!!!! Just starting to process a few of the 1st day's pic's. I think that the Goblins really do come out at night !!!
    Fred

Happy to see you found some clean pixels and good ones too. I enjoyed meeting you and sharing stories of photography. I look forward to seeing more from youthumb.gif

Marc
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nightingale and I are still in Utah, and will not begin to process images until next week.

What a great experience, great folks, great scenery, and great pros!! Marc and Andy are the best photo guides ever!!

Here are two shots from our time with the crew in Utah...

Jim and Kathy

I enjoyed spending time with both of you as always, especially when in the lead truck with no dust:D Your passion and commitment to photography is contagious.
    Nice composition and light on the posies and pictosthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    Desert Flowers in the Morning
    Thanks to Sheila who lent me a spare battery on our last morning so I could capture nice light on these flowers. rolleyes1.gif

156449518-L.jpg

Here are a few different desert wild flowers that were found throughout our journey of Wild Utah.

156447996-L.jpg

156448114-L.jpg

156448289-L.jpg

156448604-L.jpg

My other pictures of Wild Utah can be seen here ... http://photosbyfred.smugmug.com/gallery/2895247
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    Wow Fred. This shot is perfect, as well as your sunstars over the hoodoos. Great job!

Where was this flower? I remember seeing a wide variety of repeats, but never that one.

Thanks guys and I'm glad people got a few chuckles. I'll be at Glacier with notebook in hand, so make sure you tip your bartenders as generously as possible!
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited May 26, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Thanks guys and I'm glad people got a few chuckles. I'll be at Glacier with notebook in hand, so make sure you tip your bartenders as generously as possible!

OK, this is good to know in advance. Note to self: Be on my best behavior on the Glacier trip, instead of being my real self.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Wow Fred. This shot is perfect, as well as your sunstars over the hoodoos. Great job!

Where was this flower? I remember seeing a wide variety of repeats, but never that one.

Thanks Steph. I found the flower you asked about during the second day of our trip. This was our stop on top of the mountain after we saw our 1st indian pictographs and before we stopped for lunch.

156501838-S.jpg

156501921-S.jpg
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Awesome pictures everyone! Keep 'em coming!

Erich
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Howdy gang! I just got back from my trip. I walked in the front door literally 30 minutes ago. I still haven't looked at any of my photos. I'll be posting some photos over the next few days, both here for the Wild Utah stuff, as well as in Journeys for my trip as a whole.

A big thanks to Marc, Andy and David for organizing a great workshop. clap.gifclapclap.gif And thanks also to all the participants for sharing your knowledge and generally making it a fun time.

later.

PS. Great photos shmooo!
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2007
    [imgl]http://www.smugmug.com/photos/156694733-O.jpg[/imgl] So, we didn't really stop shooting, and of course, sleep was optional :uhoh After the sweet sunset light, and then a bit of dinner, it was back out into the night. This Petroglyph is really quite old, and also pretty hard to get to. You can't help but to feel amazed when viewing it.

click the image for a 700K animated GIF :D
  • Options
    JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Hi everyone. This seems like it was the most amazing trip. The pictures are wonderful, and am looking forward to more. Schmooo, your travelog was a gasrolleyes1.gif

Jill
    Jill
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2007
    schmoo,

I looked at your travelogue. All I can say is too cool. I liked it for the
    memories it stirs.
  • Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2007
    Schmoo you crack me up! It is like reliving everything all over again. Thanks for being part of team SSS. Here is one of my shots I have gotten to edit. So many, so little time!!

Sheila

_MG_4199 pano3web_edited-1webshot2.jpg
  • Options
    Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Bravo MAgnifico, Supremo and other isms ending in O
    thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2007
    Sheila - good to see you poking your head in here again! I can't wait to see more of your photos, as I had never seen your work before our last critique.

It was so good to meet you and Dan and Ian and everyone else (and hopefully soon even more Smugmuggers), and I'll never forget the company or that red sand.
  • Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Schmoo,
    I think I still have some of that red sand!! You want me to send you some?

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Sheila

It was so good to meet you and Dan and Ian and everyone else (and hopefully soon even more Smugmuggers), and I'll never forget the company or that red sand.[/quote]