Options

long lens for birds...

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited May 3, 2007 in Wildlife
...who needs it!

Shot with a 10-22 :lol3 Maybe not the best bird shot around, but I thought it was funny. These guys were very friendly and willing to pose.

148310544-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    ...who needs it!

Shot with a 10-22 lol3.gif Maybe not the best bird shot around, but I thought it was funny. These guys were very friendly and willing to pose.

Smarty Pants rolleyes1.gif you could have just reached out and touched them hu?
    Relatives of my brothers (not mine - on his married side) have had the Pelicans come inside the annexe of their caravan looking for food when they've been camping.

Unfortunately they tend to get used to people and have no fear, that's what usually gets them in trouble.

Good shot IVAR .... gotta love that 10-22mm thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    I actually have seen people reach out to touch them too... errr, not a good idea folks! Don't they see that ginormous HOOK at the end of the beak?!?

Anyways, nice shot. They probably thought you had some fish scraps. :D
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2007
    Thanks Skip and Jen!

Yeah, they were about within touching distance. I didn't try though, as I also noted that big hook at the end of their beaks :D

They were very friendly and would let you get really close, but they would move if you got closer as about 2-3 feet.

There were some fishermen around there, they were indeed waiting for fish lol3.gif
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    I think it is a very nice shot. Long lens, yeah, they are great, but not always needed. ( I can't believe I just said that, me of the "longer the better" club!)headscratch.gifeek7.gifrofl
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    Thats a really cool shot! I keep trying to use my 12-24 for kingfishers, but havent had any luck yetheadscratch.gif

:D

-j
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    Great capture!! Yes, pilicans used to people, they don't affraid of anything! It's great for us, photo people, but not so great for the birds! I hope people will respect that.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Hell with pelicans you could have gone with a macro lens, just have a fish handy. :D Good shot thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    Thanks for looking and the compliments, Maestro, Jeff, Shepsmom and Harry.

The people on the pier actually were very nice to the birds, and ignored them. Every now and then someone with a camera would show up, but that's about it.

Harry, I probably could have gotten away with macro and getting a closeup of his feathers or something, haha. I'll ask someone to dangle a fish in front of him next time :D
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Great shot Ivar! thumb.gif I like the almost 3D effect you captured being that close. My son had an unusual encounter with 2 pelicans last week. They played "chicken" with him while he was walking along the water's edge. They were flying straight at his head without moving until the very last possible moment....they parted and brushed his shoulder with those enormous wings. Wish he carried a camera!