• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots Weddings The proposal in the park in the rain

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  10
1 2 3 4 5 Last »
Old Apr-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Shay Stephens is offline Shay Stephens OP
Artist in Residence
The proposal in the park in the rain
It broke a record that day, the most rain to fall in Central Park for that day, I think it was 5.5 inches, and it felt like I absorbed most of it.

After watching the ducks for a while a couple came strolling down the walkway, hand in hand:

Only to stop on top of Bow Bridge. He held her hand, kissed her, and talked for a few minutes:

And then it happened:

She was shocked, let out a scream, and forgot that she was holding on to an umbrella:

They held, and kissed, and said sweet nothings to each other. They were on cloud nine!

And then it sank in:

A few more minutes past to regain composure, and then he introduced us. We gave our congratulations, provided some dry tissues and smiles. A brief stroll through the park followed as we all walked back to the streets to get our cabs, but along the way we stopped for a photo or two to take advantage of the beautiful atmosphere only a rainy day can provide:

Old Apr-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Andy is offline Andy
4/3s of a photographer

True mastery. The embodiment of professional work.
Old Apr-28-2007, 07:00 PM
DavidTO is offline DavidTO
Mod Emeritus
Wow, what a moment! Great shots!

You planned that down to the T with the guy, eh? Did you walk Central Park with him to pick the spot?
Old Apr-28-2007, 07:05 PM
wxwax is offline wxwax
Immoderator
Oh my gosh.

This is beautiful in every way. The setting, the tones, the emotions, the framing, vignetting, all of it is wonderful.

Classic stuff, Shay. Fantastic.

Old Apr-28-2007, 07:08 PM
wxwax is offline wxwax
Immoderator
I assume you agreed beforehand that it would be on the bridge?

I gotta say, despite what must have been careful planning, my favorite shots are the ones you couldn't have planned for: him whirling her around, and kissing against the fence.

Fantastic.
Old Apr-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Seneca is offline Seneca
Majorette Grinner
How sweet was that...very impressive.
Old Apr-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Artist in Residence
It was all done through the internet and phone calls. He actually lives in San Diego. So we told him where to go and where to be. Jen wears a red baret hat so we are easy to spot to someone who knows what to look for

It was interesting too, all the rain caused the highway to flood, so had we not left early, we would have been late due to traffic! As it turned out he was the late by about 45 minutes. But we told him not to worry if he was late, we would stay there till he showed up or we were swept away hehehe. So it all went off without a hitch!

We are in talks now about shooting their wedding next year!
Old Apr-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Artist in Residence
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
I assume you agreed beforehand that it would be on the bridge?

I gotta say, despite what must have been careful planning, my favorite shots are the ones you couldn't have planned for: him whirling her around, and kissing against the fence.

Fantastic.
tehehe, both those shots were posed. When we do pose (we try to limit it), we try to pose it so they look natural, so I am glad it looks natural to you :-)
Old Apr-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Andy is offline Andy
4/3s of a photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay Stephens
Jen wears a red baret hat so we are easy to spot to someone who knows what to look for
I'd think it'd be easier to tell them to look for the really short guy with big feet
Old Apr-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Artist in Residence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I'd think it'd be easier to tell them to look for the really short guy with big feet
Well you know, it was raining so I had to wear shoes, and that just makes me totally unrecognizable!
Old Apr-28-2007, 07:23 PM
dragon300zx is offline dragon300zx
What God Complex?
These are great shots Shay. Very inspiring.
Old Apr-28-2007, 07:28 PM
urbanaries is offline urbanaries
hoosier grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
shay's avatar is a tad easier on the eyes...

Thanks for sharing this poignant, beautiful set. What amazing customer service....kudos to the groom for thinking ahead. They'd be insane not to hire you for their wedding? If I were her, I'd wear a gown from Goodwill before I'd let someone else photograph us after that magazine cover umbrella-twirling shot.

(how'd the non-weather-sealed body hold up?)
Old Apr-28-2007, 07:38 PM
gmonkeh is offline gmonkeh
Reverb Photography
True story book setting, awesome job Shane. We're you hiding in the bushes for these shots?
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
2 Alien Bees AB800
Nikon Speedlight SB800
Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
Old Apr-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Seefutlung is offline Seefutlung
Unsharp at any Speed
Wow! Great Stuff from technical to composition ... to story line. At first I thought it was all happenstance ... crazy photog testing out the seals and stumbled upon a Singing in the Rain song and dance thing ... Even though many of the shots were poised ... the rain made it a great story.

Gary

PS- Gotta tell ya ... very disappointed that it was not pure happenstance ... man ... that would have absolutely, postively, great with a cherry on top ... now the shots are merely great ... no cherry.
G

Last edited by Seefutlung; Apr-28-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old Apr-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Artist in Residence
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanaries
(how'd the non-weather-sealed body hold up?)
It held up very good with the right protocols. I used a lens hood on the 70-200, a rainjacket over the lens and camera, and Jen holding a big golf style umbrella for the both of us. The only thing that got semi-wet equipment wise was my camera bag outer pockets.

So I am going to be looking for a new bag with better weather protection. But I was happy this time around and didn't have any equipment failures due to moisture! I have a wedding tomorrow and my sensor doesn't even need cleaning!

Jen and I were soaked to the bone, and I had fun walking through puddles and mini-lakes on the way back to the car
Old Apr-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Artist in Residence
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonkeh
True story book setting, awesome job Shay. We're you hiding in the bushes for these shots?
I was just off the bridge,shooting scenics when they came on the bridge. She was surprised when we were revealed for who we were

Old Apr-28-2007, 07:49 PM
wxwax is offline wxwax
Immoderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay Stephens
tehehe, both those shots were posed. When we do pose (we try to limit it), we try to pose it so they look natural, so I am glad it looks natural to you :-)
Fooled me!
Old Apr-28-2007, 07:56 PM
David_S85 is offline David_S85
Spotter of DGrin Forum Oddities & Spam
Shay, phenomenal results from the meticulous planning (oh, and skill ). Even with the foul weather, these are superb. I even think the rain helped focus the mood on the couple that much more.
Old Apr-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Artist in Residence
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_S85
Shay, phenomenal results from the meticulous planning (oh, and skill ). Even with the foul weather, these are superb. I even think the rain helped focus the mood on the couple that much more.
As much as I hate shooting in the rain...I just love shooting in the rain! There is no other atmosphere like it. And it is little wonder that movie directors use it so frequently!
Old Apr-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Artist in Residence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seefutlung
PS- Gotta tell ya ... very disappointed that it was[n't] pure happenstance
I'll try harder next time
1 2 3 4 5 Last »
Tell The World!