Options

Nikon lens system

likwidlikwid Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited April 26, 2007 in Cameras
I'm about to get a new camera and I am trying to figure out which system to get. I'm NOT gonna throw the Canon vs Nikon question out there. :rofl
But I want to know what all the letters on the Nikon lenses mean. I know what VR means but the AF-S, ED, DX, IF-ED etc. I have no idea. How can i tell the quality of the lens. Canon have their L lenses but what is Nikons called?

// Sebastian
Canon EOS 30D | Sigma EX 18-50/2.8 DC
Sony A-100 | Sony 18-70 kit lens | Tamron 70-300mm 4-5.6 | Minolta 50mm 1.7
// Sebastian

Comments

• Options
    HubcapHubcap Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 20, 2007
    Sebastian,

AF-S is Auto Focus with Silent Wave integrated, coreless motor
    ED is Extra-Low Dispersion elements used in the lens
    DX means the lens is designed for the smaller sensors of digital SLRs
    IF-ED means Internal Focus with Extra-Low Dispersion elements in the lens

Nikon does not use the L moniker. They do put a Gold ring around their professional grade lens, all of which are 2.8 or better.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Sebastian,

To simply add to Hubcaps' info., to further find out about the actual workings of the different lenses, check out reviews by reputable photographers. You can simply google "Nikkor lens review" and see waht's up. I also recommend these guys, they've been very informative for me (a devoted Nikon user) in the past:

http://bythom.com/nikon.htm

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/index.php?cat=1

And certainly check out as many reviews as you can. The more info you have, the better shopper you are (so says my wife):D

Hope this helps and happy shooting.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2007
    Hubcap, HarlanBear: Thanks for the great info. You are great. thumb.gif
    // Sebastian
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2007
    Great stuff Harry, thanks.

I wasn't actually looking for Nikon before, I was looking on the EOS 30D but I found out today that I could get Nikon stuff at a veeery reduced price so the D200 is looking pretty nice now.

Anyway. I'm gonna go read up on all stuff Nikon. :D

// Sebastian
    // Sebastian
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Hubcap wrote:
    They do put a Gold ring around their professional grade lens, all of which are 2.8 or better.
    Au contraire. The Nikkor 12-24 is a gold-ring lens that has max aperture of f/4.
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Nikon might be the first place to look for info. . . . mwink.gif

http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/lens/glossary2.htm
    Tim
  • Options
    Photo NomadPhoto Nomad Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2007
    Nikon / Nikkor lenses
    eek7.gif Hi Sebastian ! I felt compeled to reply to your question because of the gear you have. I am KM ( Have a Maxxum D5 , D'image Z6, etc. ) loyal and just about to jump ship to Nikon. I have done a lot of reserchlooking at camera, lenses etc.
    In the photo stores in Canada one could pick up a brochure ( more like a Magazine ) produced by Nikon titled " Nikkor Lenses" - Nikon at the heart of the image. you can download this and other brochures from
    http://www.nikonimaging.com/global/products/brochure/
    The brochre has explanations for all the abreviations used for lenses, plus images taken with different lenses etc.
    Good luck - if you can't find it send me an email direct and I will scan some pages from the brochure for you.
    Photo Nomad
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Also, as we're talking education about Nikon/Nikkor lenses, here's another great link about the Nikon lens Nomenclature:
  • Options
    hkgharryhkgharry Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2007
    Current gold-ring lenses
    likwid wrote:
    Canon have their L lenses but what is Nikons called?

// Sebastian
    Hubcap wrote:
    Sebastian,
    Nikon does not use the L moniker. They do put a Gold ring around their professional grade lens, all of which are 2.8 or better.

Hope this helps.
    jthomas wrote:
    Au contraire. The Nikkor 12-24 is a gold-ring lens that has max aperture of f/4.
    It appears there may be additional gold-ring lenses. I'm not sure what the gold-ring signifies but from what's listed in the Nikon lens brochure (presumably current lenses only) Nikon gold-ring lenses appear to include the following:
    • Constant aperture zooms (f2.8 and f4) except the 80-200D f2.8. This includes the 12-24 as noted above as well as the 200-400mm f4
    • Prime lenses of 200mm or more regardless of aperture (includes f2, f2.8 and f4 apertures) except the Micro 200D f4
    • The 10.5mm f2.8G fisheye, 14mm f2.8D, AF-S VR 105mm f2.8G and 80-400 f4.5-5.6D
    There may well be discontinued lenses that also have the gold-ring. Corrections to the above thinking are welcome.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    tksuthertksuther Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    Also, as we're talking education about Nikon/Nikkor lenses, here's another great link about the Nikon lens Nomenclature:

Good read...............