Options

Kind of Suburban

Darryl CoxDarryl Cox Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited February 2, 2005 in Landscapes
It is good to be here....happy I found this place.

Following a heave snow a friend and I took a field trip along the Oklahoma Kansas border. What story could this old place tell?
12258813-M.jpg

Sony Cybershot dsc-f828 and Photoshop CS.
Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it is too dark to read !

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 1, 2005
    Darryl Cox wrote:

Following a heave snow a friend and I took a field trip along the Oklahoma Kansas border. What story could this old place tell?
    12258813-S.jpg

Welcome to dgrin, Darryl. Tell us some more about this image - where it is, what it represents, what you did in PS, ect. clap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    Welcome Darryl,glad you found this place also.
    Nice capture. Show us more please thumb.gif
  • Options
    Darryl CoxDarryl Cox Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    Details.
    To me the image represents the flow of time, how it changes and changes and changes again. When I lived in Denver I would haunt the old ghost towns. When walking through the abandoned buildings one can almost hear the voices of those long gone their dreams and their disapointments.

This particular shot shows a "dead" dwelling and the sign pointing to the Cemetery..tells stories.

I post processed the f828 image in Photoshop CS by running levels and adjusting the gamma. Then I bumped the color saturation approximately 14% and ran USM...it was very cold and the shot hand held.

The old house was located on a corner on an old country road about two or three miles north of the Eastern Oklahoma/Kansas border. It was one of those lucky finds on the way to another photoshoot destination....Elgin Kansas, an abandoned rail head town from the cattle drive days.

We got to Elgin and thank Goodness I have a 4WD because it is in a depression that was coated with ice and snow pack. I plan to revisit Elgin this spring....totally abandoned business distric, lots of limestone structures and there are still some folks living there.

Thanks for your interest, Pathfinder.
    Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it is too dark to read !
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    Welcome.

I like the shot, the rustic fence, the abandoned building. I am looking forward to more.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 1, 2005
    In LA that house would fetch $650,000 rolleyes1.gif

Darryl Cox wrote:

12258813-M.jpg

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 1, 2005
    Darryl Cox wrote:
    To me the image represents the flow of time, how it changes and changes and changes again. When I lived in Denver I would haunt the old ghost towns. When walking through the abandoned buildings one can almost hear the voices of those long gone their dreams and their disapointments.

This particular shot shows a "dead" dwelling and the sign pointing to the Cemetery..tells stories.

I post processed the f828 image in Photoshop CS by running levels and adjusting the gamma. Then I bumped the color saturation approximately 14% and ran USM...it was very cold and the shot hand held.

The old house was located on a corner on an old country road about two or three miles north of the Eastern Oklahoma/Kansas border. It was one of those lucky finds on the way to another photoshoot destination....Elgin Kansas, an abandoned rail head town from the cattle drive days.

We got to Elgin and thank Goodness I have a 4WD because it is in a depression that was coated with ice and snow pack. I plan to revisit Elgin this spring....totally abandoned business distric, lots of limestone structures and there are still some folks living there.

Thanks for your interest, Pathfinder.

The Sante Fe trail is my favorite route west through Kansas, down into western Oklahoma and into New Mexico. I have ridden it several times and hope to ride it some more. Abandoned rural buildings, ghost towns etc are a thrill to see and shoot.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    handlebarhandlebar Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    I like the Photo and I like the story behind it.
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    Welcome aboard Derryl! and nice shot!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts