Options

I just put a test order through from New Zealand...

TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
edited May 27, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I felt after getting a few orders I should just do a check to make sure my (few) customers can expect to be happy with the prints from Smugmug... I haven't received any complaints so I thought they would be fine.

So I ordered a 6*4 on Glossy, a 7*5 on Lustre and a 14*11 on matte. I'm in New Zealand and I chose the basic shipping ($4 USD) option.

They arrived today and the first impression was the amazing packaging...

Remember, 3 photos...

http://talkiet.smugmug.com/photos/142602978-O.jpg

That box is 18*10*7 inches! The 2 small photos were in a cardboard sleeve with mylar type window, which was inside a sealed cardboard envelope. The 11*14 was in a plastic sleeve, inside a tube. There were 14 Sealed air bags as packing.

I have to say, it was the most amazing packaging I have ever seen relative to the requirements. It was probably over the top, but it makes a great impression and I feel totally comfortable that whatever is ordered, it will turn up well packed and safe at the destination.

Print quality was next on the check list. Colours seemed very accurate on all three prints (I left the setting as Auto when ordering).

The 2 small pics were great in every respect, but the 11*14 on Crystal Archive paper didn't blow me away like I expected. The paper wasn't as heavy as I expected, but most worryingly, there was some just noticable banding in the sky on about a 6mm repeating basis. It certainly wasn't in the original image and there was no hint of similar issues with the smaller images. I doubt a normal person would even notice it but after having gone through some issues getting an i9950 working properly, banding stands out like a sore thumb to me :-)

Is the larger print a different machine or process?

I don't want a reprint or anything, and I would be happy for anything but a super expensive fine art print to go out with this quality, I was just curious.

As far as paper goes.. Lustre is awesome... Love it. Matte was ok and gloss was nice, but Lustre is a lovely finish.

The overall experience however from order to delivery and results was amazing. I'm quite happy to stop printing images for local people myself and telling them to trust the other side of the world lab.
--
http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)

Comments

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    TalkieT wrote:
    As far as paper goes.. Lustre is awesome... Love it. Matte was ok and gloss was nice, but Lustre is a lovely finish.

I will second that. We ordered about $100 worth of prints a short time ago.
    Only 1 5x7 in the Luster. That print stands out above the others, and that's
    not to say the others look bad, they don't.

If you haven't tried the Luster option, try it.:D
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    TalkieT wrote:
    but the 11*14 on Crystal Archive paper didn't blow me away like I expected. The paper wasn't as heavy as I expected, but most worryingly, there was some just noticable banding in the sky on about a 6mm repeating basis. It certainly wasn't in the original image

Hi, I'll review this order and be back to you shortly- no worries thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2007
    TalkieT wrote:
    but the 11*14 on Crystal Archive paper didn't blow me away like I expected. The paper wasn't as heavy as I expected, but most worryingly, there was some just noticable banding in the sky on about a 6mm repeating basis.

I'm going to have this reprinted for you. I've examined the original file, and I agree, it should print band-free.

As to the paper - you chose Matte on this one, and Matte & Glossy are our consumer finishes, Lustre is the pro finish. Matte is .7mils thinner than Lustre, so you'll definitely feel the difference. I'm going to reprint this on Lustre for you, of course there's no charge for the reprint or the Lustre finish either. It's all part of the SmugMug Guarantee thumb.gif
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    How long between placing the order and receiving it ?

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2007
    Ordered 26 March, Shipped 28 March Received (it appears) 10 April
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Ordered 26 March, Shipped 28 March Received (it appears) 10 April

Sounds like good service:D

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I'm going to have this reprinted for you. I've examined the original file, and I agree, it should print band-free.

As to the paper - you chose Matte on this one, and Matte & Glossy are our consumer finishes, Lustre is the pro finish. Matte is .7mils thinner than Lustre, so you'll definitely feel the difference. I'm going to reprint this on Lustre for you, of course there's no charge for the reprint or the Lustre finish either. It's all part of the SmugMug Guarantee thumb.gif

Andy, that wasn't necessary, but it's greatly appreciated. What I took from the experience is that Lustre is the way to go and I'll be recommending that in future. I may even take Matte finishes out of my print options.

And yes, I can't believe I forgot to say how long the order took. Remember that the order was over Easter, it may well have been a few days earlier if not for the holidays...

Cheers- And thanks for the (always) superb help here.

Neil Gardner
    --
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Hi Andy, although I'm not really concerned about the actual pic... This reprint hasn't arrived yet and I was hoping if you could confirm when it was sent - since I don't have visibilty on the site of the status of reprints.

Regards - N...
    --
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    I'm checking at the lab - will get back to you on Monday I hope, thanks & sorry for the delay.

Andy
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2007
    Any update on this Andy?
    Andy wrote:
    I'm checking at the lab - will get back to you on Monday I hope, thanks & sorry for the delay.

Andy

Ping?

Cheers - N
    --
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2007
    Hi Neil, oh I'm so sorry - we'll get on this again and see what's up. I am on a 7day workshop right now, but Anne will get back to you.

Sorry again for the hassle.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Neil, oh I'm so sorry - we'll get on this again and see what's up. I am on a 7day workshop right now, but Anne will get back to you.

Sorry again for the hassle.

That's ok - this arrived yesterdaty, after being shipped on the 11th May. That however is before I asked for an update, so something stalled it for nearly a month. This doesn't really concern me as it was a free reprint on a test file - and the initial order (with the normal order process) came through really quickly - plus all the feedback I have had from my customers is they can't believe the quality of the prints, packing and speed of shipping from the other side of the world.

Cheers - N
    --
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    TalkieT wrote:
    ...I have to say, it was the most amazing packaging I have ever seen relative to the requirements. It was probably over the top, but it makes a great impression and I feel totally comfortable that whatever is ordered, it will turn up well packed and safe at the destination.
    Here's MY standard for "amazing packaging" ;-) :

156746663-L.jpg

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, that is a flat shipped 20x30". And I've got a 30x40" somewhere in the garage, too.

Personally I do not like to deal with tubed prints. Even after EZprints got their act together and stopped shipping creased prints, it was still a nightmare mounting a curly print, especially the likes of a 20x30" or 30x40"... Now I just order them pre-mounted on foam core for a few bucks extra, and my life is sooooo much easier...

Of course that's not the subject of this thread. I'm happy to hear that SmugMug delivers to NZ just as easily as they do the USA!

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum