Options

Traveling With Gear

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
edited April 22, 2007 in Accessories
A number of people have asked questions about traveling, especially flying,
with their camera gear. We've all invested heavily in gear and traveling
with it can bring on a bit of stress. Esepcially when you hear the magic
words "the overhead bins are full". Having been there and been lucky
enough to make it through, I know the feeling.

ThinkTANK photo has put together a small PDF with some great suggestions
on how to travel successfully with your gear. You can find it here.
Please be aware that downloading the PDF file does require you to fork over
your e-mail address and name.

One of the products I see discussed is the Airport International. It's said this
fits into most overheads and is "legal" size. I have to use quotes because
we all know that some airlines will allow you to bring an elephant as
carry on where others are very strict about what gets onboard with you.

What I like most about the TT product line is that it looks no different than
most luggage. Unless you knew what you were looking at, it doesn't really
scream "hey there's a butt load of expensive stuff in here". The Airport
series comes in a couple of flavors. One with wheels and one without. If
you're looking at the International or Security, there's even a matching
briefcase for the roller luggage.

I plan on looking at either the International and Security.

Anyhow, the real purpose of this was to pass along some information for
those who may find themselves traveling with gear for the first time.

You can visit ThinkTANK's site, www.thinktankphoto.com, for more info.
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    I just got from France with all my gear, and I always carried it in my carry-on and I always put it under my seat...on the huge plan over there, I sat in Business class, but on the smaller planes, I had no choice but to sit in the normal seats, and my gear fit fine right in front of me or behind my legs. I had my domke f-802 stuffed to the brim with ALL of my camera stuff along with games and stuff to play on the plane and I had no problems at all.

however, I'll be checking out those sites that you povided just to see.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2007
    I say just carry the majority of your gear in your stowaway, and then a small amount of gear in a small sized carry-on camera bag. It works for me. :P
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    I say just carry the majority of your gear in your stowaway, and then a small amount of gear in a small sized carry-on camera bag. It works for me. :P

For some this might work. But try carrying a 500mm, a couple of bodies and
    a bit of other gear. Personally, I'm a bit reluctant to check camera gear.
    But do feel free to if you're ok with it.
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    For some this might work. But try carrying a 500mm, a couple of bodies and
    a bit of other gear. Personally, I'm a bit reluctant to check camera gear.
    But do feel free to if you're ok with it.
    Ehh, thats true, although if you're carrying so much gear, I dont see why you dont just rent, or buy one of those uber tough rhino cases for your stuff and check it with insurance.

*Or carry lower aperture lenses.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    If you have to drag THAT much gear, why not simply ship it to yourself at the hotel?
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    In my day job, I travel a lot, and typically its with expensive video gear.

I don't like to be separated from any of it - I prefer to carry it in the overhead bin. Some of the gear I use just doesn't fit, however. And unsurprisingly, its the really expensive stuff that doesn't.

For the stuff that you can take on board with you, make sure its well organized. Just to make things go smoothly through security, I tend to put all my keys, phone, ipod and the like in my camera bag, but if they want to take a closer inspection at it, they are more than welcome to it. I try to keep it well organized so its easy for the TSA agent to see what it is quickly and easily, and its quick for me to repack. Be nice, be patient, be professional. These are the folks responsible for keeping travel safe for us, and its their job to take a closer look at the odd birds coming through. As far as boarding the plane, I'm lucky that I travel enough that I have status with United, so I'm usually one of the first on/off the place. But even when I was in one of the last groups, I never had trouble getting at least one of my bags into the overhead bin.

For the stuff I have to check in, the only thing I'm worried about is being separatedfrom it by a flight. TSA in the US has to do their luggage inspections in a well-surveiled room, and the agent who searches your luggage has a slip which they need to sign and place in your piece of luggage to document who performed the search. If anything goes missing, its going to be well documented. Yes, luggage handlers are rough on gear. Thats why you carry your checked gear in a pelican or thermadyne cases. In proper luggage, your gear will survive anything that the baggage handlers can throw them at. The only thing I worry about is being separated from it. Once my luggage is checked, I make sure I stay on the same plane that its traveling on.

I agree with most of that article had to say, but the part I don't agree with is where it makes the entire experience of a photographer in the airport one of shifty-eyed paranoia - and having that attitude will get you a lot more attention than simple, quiet, professional confidence.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    That's a good attitude to take through the TSA. Quiet, professional confidence.

I'm not traveling as much any more but I'll say that definitely makes your
    travel experience more pleasurable.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    TylerW wrote:
    For the stuff I have to check in, the only thing I'm worried about is being separatedfrom it by a flight. TSA in the US has to do their luggage inspections in a well-surveiled room, and the agent who searches your luggage has a slip which they need to sign and place in your piece of luggage to document who performed the search. If anything goes missing, its going to be well documented.

You know what one of my least favorite meals is? Crow.

I just returned yesterday from New York City via a United Airlines flight from JFK to SFO. When I opened the case for the HDCam that I'd brought for my shoot, I saw immediately - the lens was missing. As was the TSA inspection slip. I'd checked the case because it is far too large and far too heavy to take as a carryon. I've got a call into JFK's TSA office, but they only take calls by voicemail, and they have yet to respond. I've got a feeling I won't hear from them.

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    Sorry to hear about that Tyler.

I guess it's starting to look like the only safe way to ship stuff is FedEX.
    Bummer.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    TylerW wrote:
    You know what one of my least favorite meals is? Crow.

I just returned yesterday from New York City via a United Airlines flight from JFK to SFO. When I opened the case for the HDCam that I'd brought for my shoot, I saw immediately - the lens was missing. As was the TSA inspection slip. I'd checked the case because it is far too large and far too heavy to take as a carryon. I've got a call into JFK's TSA office, but they only take calls by voicemail, and they have yet to respond. I've got a feeling I won't hear from them.
    That just really, really sucks.

Our shooters always carry-on their cameras. No case, just the camera.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    That just really, really sucks.

Our shooters always carry-on their cameras. No case, just the camera.

I ypically insist on that. But this was a shoot tha needed to be in HD, and it was a big enough event that using our more compact HD camera, which tends to have a lot of reliability issues, couldn't be justified. So I brought out the big gun.

If there's any consolation, the loss happened on the way back. Which means we didn't lose the shoot, and insurance (either theirs or ours) should cover the loss.