Options

On the way to the wedding...the car broke down

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited May 9, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I had a wedding today at 2pm, a short 2 hour wedding elopement in NYC. So we got everything together and headed downtown. We just made it across the New Jersey border on the Palisades Parkway and was headed up a hill when the power to the wheels sputtered. The engine was still running and revving, but the car was slowing down. I pulled off to the side of the road just as the engine died. I tried restarting the car and after 3 failed attempts the battery died.

Jen got on the phone with the insurance company to have a tow truck come and get the car. She also called the church to let them know about the situation. They said they would wait for us as long as they could, but they had a second wedding coming up today and to call at 1:45 to give a status update. After about a half hour we had a tow truck coming and then a NJ cop pulled up behind us to get our license and registration. Once he ran us through the computer he left to find sweeter meat. A class A jerk. A few minutes after the cop left the tow truck pulled up and loaded our car. We told him the story and asked if he could call a cab for us, he did and when we got to the tow yard, a cab pulled up to take us in to town. Jen said "I have always wanted to say this, but please, get us to the church on time!" We all had a good laugh.

We crossed the George Washington Bridge and made it uneventfully to the FDR highway. Around 96th the traffic started to slow down. The driver said if we got off the highway now it would take twice as long to get there and suggested we might get off at 71st. At 71st he wavered and we said to do what he thought best. At the last minute he veered back onto the highway and around the next bend the traffic cleared up. We got off at 53rd and a few blocks later we were at the church. We walked in at 1:45 much to everyones surprise and delight. After a few minutes of setup, I was ready and shooting pictures at 1:55 and the wedding began at 2pm sharp, on schedule, and on a beautiful spring day.

Now you may be wondering how this feat was accomplished. I know the people at the church wondered that, as they thought there was no way we could make it.

The secret, and one you should never forget and always employ is to...

Leave Early

You never know what will happen between here and there.

We usually give ourselves an extra 1.5 hours more than we need to get to the city. Usually if there is traffic that is enough to account for the worst of it. But today it helped us to get ourselves to the church despite a completely broken down car. We used the tools at our disposal, cell phone, contact phone numbers, insurance, tow truck, and cabs to keep our cool, and not waste time. We made sure the church knew what was happening, and we turned a potential disaster into a great success.

Getting home was another adventure, but that is another story ;-)

Moral of the story, be prepared, keep your cool, and leave early. Early enough to account for most possible slow downs. The further you have to go, the more time you will need as a buffer for problem.
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    clap.gif great advice and excellent story!
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 3, 2007
    Yeow! That's always been my worst nightmare.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Nice example to demonstrate one of the many differences between a professional, and simply a guy with a camera.

It’s a multitude of small things that people don’t normally see that has a cumulative effect in separating the professional from many who want to be called professional, but are not willing to put the time and effort into these seemingly small things day in, and day out.

Skill alone does not determine a real professional.

While I am sure the day was a financial bust, your post indicates you are looking at the big picture. You have fulfilled your agreement with the B&G, and overall the year will be a good one.

Good job!

Sam
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    While I am sure the day was a financial bust, your post indicates you are looking at the big picture. You have fulfilled your agreement with the B&G, and overall the year will be a good one.

You can't win em all, but these people were referred to us from a previous client. We got a nice tip, and promises to refer all their friends too. So you loose some, but you never know when it could lead to something else in the future that can wipe out any short term losses.

The "phrase penny wise, pound foolish" come to mind hehehe.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Yeow! That's always been my worst nightmare.

It can happen, nay it will happen, if you do it long enough. But being prepared for it sure helps smooth out the bumps when it does happen.

What is that phrase, "fortune favors the prepared mind" ;-)
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Thats why Im glad sometimes im in smalltown USA. It would be near impossible for me to encounter any traffic here, and car troubles wouldnt stop me either as I have tons of backup people I can call. But when I go out of my town for a wedding I make sure im there 1 hour before....even if I have to sit in the car and wait for them to arrive. Im glad to hear it all worked out in the end Shay.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Thanks for sharing, it's a great reminder for all of us that shoot events! I try to behave as if Murphy is always riding shotgun...
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 4, 2007
    Glad things worked out (well, except for the trip home, I know that didn't go as well!) thumb.gif

Maybe there's another lesson to be learned here... time for a new car! It's a more critical part of your business than you may have thought, eh? deal.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 4, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Maybe there's another lesson to be learned here... time for a new car!

The eight ball is saying "all signs point toward yes" hehehe
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 5, 2007
    Great story, and a good thing to remember.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    Sounds like you were on the monster at exit 4. Those NJ cops on the Palisades Pkwy are no joke. He should've offered you a sirens blaring ride. thumb.gif Glad to hear it worked out well.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    lol... its no lie that ANYTHING can happen, especially in NY. Heck, I remember I was on my way to west 26th street when the cabby infront of me in the holland tunnel suddenly shot a 180 and wiped out into the wall. That was a 60 minute wait and I was the first car behind the wreck. Nothin you can do.... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    Sounds like you were on the monster at exit 4. Those NJ cops on the Palisades Pkwy are no joke. He should've offered you a sirens blaring ride. thumb.gif Glad to hear it worked out well.
    They only offer that to Gov. (crash) Corzine rolleyes1.gifrofl