Options

Equipment Insurance.

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited March 21, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Reviewing my insurance right now seeing as I have more stuff now.

Who does everyone use for their equipment insurance?
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    kapaluakapalua Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Reviewing my insurance right now seeing as I have more stuff now.

Who does everyone use for their equipment insurance?

Hill & Usher

Laurence Kim Photography
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    Thanks I shoulda done the search. My mind is just thinking about all the money I just spent and the what if I had to replace it all tomorrow. It's slightly overwhelmed Laughing.gif.

But I do have a nearly new 70-200 2.8L in my hands now with 2 AB800's on the way so...
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    My mind is just thinking about all the money I just spent and the what if I had to replace it all tomorrow.
    On that line of thinking....I'm on my way to Canon Repair Center to pick up my 20D. I dropped it a couple of months ago. $400.00 later I can use it again. I think insurance is the way to go. I'm calling today......
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 14, 2007
    Gary,

I bought a Personal Articles Policy from my State Farm agent who is a friend of mine, because I was concerned about theft while travelling with long glass. You know the drill.

It costs about 1% of value a year for insurance, but it does not just cover theft, it covers ALL perils. If I drop a lens in the lake or off a cliff, it is covered!

I decided all perils was worth that much to me, at least for the more expensive items. SO I made out a list of the lenses and bodies I wanted coverage of. I did not insure every filter and every battery, but things that cost more than I could replace easily. My agent assured me that whether I was selling pictures or not did not affect whether I was covered either. Get the details of the policy carefully explained and then decide if the peace of mind is worth it.

For me, I am glad to have the insurance, and I hope I never have to use it.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:

It costs about 1% of value a year for insurance, but it does not just cover theft, it covers ALL perils. If I drop a lens in the lake or off a cliff, it is covered!

True - unless you're using the gear for professional purposes I believe - in which case you need a much more expensive policy which typically carries liability as well.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    johng wrote:
    True - unless you're using the gear for professional purposes I believe - in which case you need a much more expensive policy which typically carries liability as well.

Depends on how you ahve it written. You should be able to get inland and marine ins coverage that will cover it anywhere no matter what but that is usually only done as a rider onto a house or renters ins policy.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    I know a lot of people that have insurance with Chubb. They join NANPA (http://www.nanpa.org) and get a discount Chubb has worked out with NANPA. As far as I know, they went that route instead of supplementing homeowner policies.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    johng wrote:

This is true. I just spoke with my State Farm agent and there are 2 different policies: one for professionals and one for amateurs (which is obviously cheaper).

I am glad I ran across this topic as I will be getting my insurance shortly, thanks folks!
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    For those on the last shoot out in Zion you might recall Dave Porter dropped his 1D and shattered the display, not to mention knocked the 70-200 lens out of wack that was attached. :cry:cry:cry I don't know what was worse, the sound of the impact or Dave's silence following? Never the less he has USAA home owners ins and they have a clause called the dummy clause. Which covers stuff, and I mean good stuff, from personal mishaps such as dropping! He ended up paying only $250 deductable for the entire repair which ended up being around $2000.