Options

Which direction to go with logo

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited March 29, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
134965675-M.jpg

134965683-M.jpg

134965686-M.png

134965689-M.png

On the road to customizing. I like the written script but suspect it is too difficult to read, so went this other direction.

Feedback -good, bad, ugly, please.

ann

Which logo direction 11 votes

sample one
18% 2 votes
sample two
9% 1 vote
sample three
72% 8 votes
sample four
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Third one is interesting. First one I couldn't really read. Looks like a word jumble that is used to stop spammers from registering on forums and sending garbage emails.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    I like the third one as well - although I like the shape of the graphic in the fourth one better (without the shadows). I don't see the M in the third one. I like the font in the third one a lot.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    I have to agree that the first 2 are really hard to read and the thrid one is my fav of what you have here....the symbol, your intitals, looks like a brand .....is that its intention?

Good work
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 10, 2007
    Hi evoryware - I was worried about that. I really love those swirrly letters, but gotta be realistic.

Mikek - thanks. I will see what I can do by way of combining the two (#3 & #4)

Hi Art - yes, exactly my intent to use my initials as a brand. Obviously still need to tweek it some. Thanks

ann
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited March 10, 2007
    I like the third one too - but I wasn't crazy about the different colors in the logo. I can't give you a good reason other than that (for me) it disturbed the image.

--- Denise
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,185 moderator
    edited March 10, 2007
    The first's font is difficult to read, and the background does nothing to help.

The second one also doesn't work for the same reasons. Additionally, it would be next to impossible to read if made into a greyscale image. That is, BTW, one test for all logo candidates -- B&W conversion.

The third comes closest to readability, but I would like to see only one color there. The second color is too close to the first, and as such, becomes a distraction.

The fourth, while being one color (good), says "photoshop filter" with the drop shadow. One is usually best to avoid shadows or gradients if they ever wish a logo to be translated into line art (like an embroidery).

Here is a great resource Mike Lane offered up a few weeks ago, and also works as a library for inspiration:
    http://logopond.co
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Dear Ann,
    I voted for 3d one and here's why:

The first two bear too much of the "I'm yet another chick with camera" feeling, they are bot too girly. mwink.gif

The fourth one is too much of a "I'm a construction worker" type of things. deal.gif

The third, however, looks like written in runes, and it stands out. thumb.gif
    I'd even make one step further and make the glyph itself more runic, more celtic, more petroglyphic if you will...
    And yes, just as David said, one color only, please...

HTH iloveyou.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    Thanks, David. Good tip out the greyscale-ability.

I looked at logo pond a little while ago - there is a really cool version of 'ann' on there that I would love to mimic - but it is really stylized and not readable.

I will go try the greyscale thing.

ann
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I voted for 3d one and here's why:

The first two bear too much of the "I'm yet another chick with camera" feeling, they are bot too girly. mwink.gif

Nik - you sayin' I'm not girly???:curtsey

The fourth one is too much of a "I'm a construction worker" type of things. deal.gif

And, well, now are you sayin' I'm not manly enough?????:ymca

The third, however, looks like written in runes, and it stands out. thumb.gif
    I'd even make one step further and make the glyph itself more runic, more celtic, more petroglyphic if you will...

Oh, boy, I might need help figuring that out.....beer.gif :stud

And yes, just as David said, one color only, please...

HTH iloveyou.gif

ann
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    So I've been messing around trying to get it right, and have now got about a dozen examples with subtle, nd not subtle, differences here:

http://canadian-ann.smugmug.com/gallery/2564746#134965675

Feedback would be great.

A couple of potential choices:
    135214583-M.jpg

135214594-M.jpg

135214611-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    I like this one:
    135214601-O.png

Just maaaybe a little less yellow a a tad more red...thumb.gif Make it like more bronzy/coppery/red gold

I like the runessness (tm:-) and chizelness clap.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Ann,

I think you should start over. Sorry to say it, but the first two are too difficult to read, and the other ones are to tall.

You might want to check out the bamagazine.com article on creating a logo from letters. Or not. But I'd keep working on it. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    Hi David - the bunch I made today are the right size - 150 x 700 pixels. And I have ditched the first two. So, what about the general idea behind the rest?
    I'd love to hear your opinion.
    ann
    DavidTO wrote:
    Ann,

I think you should start over. Sorry to say it, but the first two are too difficult to read, and the other ones are to tall.

You might want to check out the bamagazine.com article on creating a logo from letters. Or not. But I'd keep working on it. :D
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    Thanks, Nik. I'll go see what I can do to deepen the color - I agree, btw.

ann
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    Done, Nik

Okay - look here:

http://canadian-ann.smugmug.com/

(I need to sort the page out - the slidshow works when I am logged in but not when I am logged out asking in customization...)

and look at the logo against this nice rich brown:

http://canadian-ann.smugmug.com/gallery/2565581

Certainly givig me some clues abot future color schemes.

ann
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    Ann,
    1) Logo: I like it! thumb.gif I think you should park it for now and let it simmer for some time:-)
    2) I honestly think that the picture doesn't do you justice rolleyes1.gif
    You look *much* better IRL. I understand that probably you, just like many of us, don't have many a chance to be in front of the camera and prefer to be on the VF side of it, but.... ne_nau.gif For this very reason I didn't include my own picture in my SM bio....

Let's work on it when we meet in Glacier NP, OK?
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    Hi Nik

Do you watch Monty Python - i don't but hubby does and regularly recites line from it that fit the situation. This remind me of a line that is something like:
    "it's an inaccurate representation of the sweetmeat"

Sadly, though, I am aging, and am in need of softening filters!!! And a good work out regime that I can do between work and soccer taxi duties!

I am going to leave the logo etc alone. Got lots done this weekend - really feel some progress.

Thanks for your help!!
    ann
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi David - the bunch I made today are the right size - 150 x 700 pixels. And I have ditched the first two. So, what about the general idea behind the rest?
    I'd love to hear your opinion.
    ann

Ann, I guess it really comes down to how you want to spend your time. I think you can do better with your logo, but maybe it's fine as it is, and you should concentrate on your family and getting some shooting done.... ne_nau.gif

I don't care for the extrusion, the shadowing, etc.

I'm also not sure why your logo is as it is. I mean, a logo should make sense unto itself, and for my money, yours doesn't.

If you want to spend more time on it, I would ask what you want your logo to say to the viewer....clean, sophisticated, fun, playful, creative, etc. Then take a look at your logo and determine how it meets those goals.

Or just go shoot. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    I like the third logo, but I would use a more modern sans serif type face for the text. Something elongated perhaps to compliment the logo. I would also keep the text on one line. Hope this helps! :D
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    Scott BuelScott Buel Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    I like the 3rd one, too. It looks like a brand logo.
    Check out my galleries : scenes from the past

Scan Cafe: let the pros do it
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    David

I have wanted to get some customizing done, and I have finally done a bit - so that is an accomplishment.

I think the logo/monogram will evolve - probably for a while.

Shooting is really sporadic now - lousy weather, too many other commitments.

In any case, as you are a pro at visual arts, I really respect your pnion and will take your words to heart.

Thanks

ann
    DavidTO wrote:
    Ann, I guess it really comes down to how you want to spend your time. I think you can do better with your logo, but maybe it's fine as it is, and you should concentrate on your family and getting some shooting done.... ne_nau.gif

I don't care for the extrusion, the shadowing, etc.

I'm also not sure why your logo is as it is. I mean, a logo should make sense unto itself, and for my money, yours doesn't.

If you want to spend more time on it, I would ask what you want your logo to say to the viewer....clean, sophisticated, fun, playful, creative, etc. Then take a look at your logo and determine how it meets those goals.

Or just go shoot. :D
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Thanks Glenn

I will keep your suggestion in mind.

ann
    I like the third logo, but I would use a more modern sans serif type face for the text. Something elongated perhaps to compliment the logo. I would also keep the text on one line. Hope this helps! :D
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Thanks, Scott.

ann

Scott Buel wrote:
    I like the 3rd one, too. It looks like a brand logo.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    I Looooooovvvvvvvve the orange theme color!!!!!

It compliments so many of my photos.

ann
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    Been tweaking it again this weekend - changed the banner again. Updated the about, pricing and soccer pages.
    Would love some feedback.

ann
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Been tweaking it again this weekend - changed the banner again. Updated the about, pricing and soccer pages.

ann
    Ann, you know me very well, and you know that I don't hold back.

OK here it is: the logo is jarring and the color scheme is detracting from your great photos. I don't have the answer for you, but this logo and color scheme has got to go! Perhaps a different logo with the orange theme, would work better.

:cry This hurts me as much as you I'm sure.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    Ann
    I saw this one recently, Adobe's John Nack's post on logos, maybe it'll give you a few ideas:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/03/whats_in_your_l.html

HTH
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:

ann
    Ann, if you'd like to work with me this week, I can work up some logos & color schemes with you? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    andy
    Wouldn't want you to hold back, not at all.

You know when you work on something all day, you loose your objectivity.

So lets break the problem apart:
    1. Is it the font that you dislike?
    2. Is it the monogram?
    3. Is it the color of the logo?
    4. Is it the color of the page? (look at the soccer page to see the logo on green)

The idea is to showcase the photography, so what would do that best?

I am much more worried about the changes I am making to content - cosmetic changes like new banner or new page color I understand how to change...and probably will many, many more times.
    Andy wrote:
    Ann, you know me very well, and you know that I don't hold back.

OK here it is: the logo is jarring and the color scheme is detracting from your great photos. I don't have the answer for you, but this logo and color scheme has got to go! Perhaps a different logo with the orange theme, would work better.

I'm all for constructive criticism cuz it can only help me be better.

Thanks!!!!

:cry This hurts me as much as you I'm sure.