Options

Photoshop problem on OS X

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited February 8, 2005 in Finishing School
I thought this was just the sort of thing that wasn't suppossed to happen. I have PS/CS on three different macs all with the latest version of OX X. If PS/CS has been just sitting there open but unused for a few days it gets itself into a state where it can't save files. It says something about a filesystem error. It's not happening to me right now, so I don't have the exact wording.
It does this on all three computers. Restarting PS fixes, but of course it means some work might be lost. There seems to be no way to save an image once it gets into this state.

I have tried various things including file system checks, but I really think this is probably an adobe bug. I'm just trying to collect some data and see if anyone else has experienced this.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I thought this was just the sort of thing that wasn't suppossed to happen. I have PS/CS on three different macs all with the latest version of OX X. If PS/CS has been just sitting there open but unused for a few days it gets itself into a state where it can't save files. It says something about a filesystem error. It's not happening to me right now, so I don't have the exact wording.
    It does this on all three computers. Restarting PS fixes, but of course it means some work might be lost. There seems to be no way to save an image once it gets into this state.

I have tried various things including file system checks, but I really think this is probably an adobe bug. I'm just trying to collect some data and see if anyone else has experienced this.

my local apple expert said something to me yesterday about two copies of ps cs running on the same network at the same time being a problem. i only run one, so i can't say i've had the problem, but i'm just reporting...

hope you get it worked out!
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    andy wrote:
    my local apple expert said something to me yesterday about two copies of ps cs running on the same network at the same time being a problem. i only run one, so i can't say i've had the problem, but i'm just reporting...

hope you get it worked out!
    Nope. It happens on a network where there is only one copy.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Nope. It happens on a network where there is only one copy.

sorry rutt :D i'm just a mac n00b so i'm no hep to you.

can you tell me about the mac uploader you use for smugmug?
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    andy wrote:

It's a command line thing, so you have to be unafraid of typing commands instead of pushing buttons. You can get a command window on os x by
    Applications->Utilities->Terminal in case you didn't know that much (it took me a little whle to find it.)

I sort of owe the world some work on this and also some documentation, but start by looking here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=4257

I'd love to know whether this was enough information to get you off the ground. I'd love to know if the format (command line) disqualifies it for your use. I sort of don't know how large the audience for this thing is and how much more than personal software it can be.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    andy wrote:

Rutt, have you done all this?

Andy, I use smugmug uploader, but have messed around with PictureSync. Jury's still out on that one. I could swear that on my Titanium Powerbook that it stops uploading when in the background. I have to play with it more, but it's definitely worth checking out. It gives you more feedback during upload.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 22, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Rutt, have you done all this?

Andy, I use smugmug uploader, but have messed around with PictureSync. Jury's still out on that one. I could swear that on my Titanium Powerbook that it stops uploading when in the background. I have to play with it more, but it's definitely worth checking out. It gives you more feedback during upload.
    definitely do everything in David's tutorial. Recnet MacWorld repeated this advice almost word for word and app for app. thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    Same intermittent problem
    rutt wrote:

I'm on a network at work, and that's where the problem is. Probably because I don't have a lot of free disk space at home, so I close PSCS as soon as I'm finished with it.

My problem seems to come especially when a co-worker places her file on my desktop over the network. I was able to open the file and change it, but would get some kind of disk error message and not be able to save it.

My machine wasn't new when I got it and it had previous employees using it, so it was always a little odd and quirky, but we never had the time to optimize the drive -- or backup and erase the disk to start over.

We have legitimate copies of PSCS with different serial numbers, so that's not the problem.

And, you are right, quitting and restarting PSCS seems to do the trick.

Now I'm curious as to what's going on.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    I'm on a network at work, and that's where the problem is. Probably because I don't have a lot of free disk space at home, so I close PSCS as soon as I'm finished with it.

My problem seems to come especially when a co-worker places her file on my desktop over the network. I was able to open the file and change it, but would get some kind of disk error message and not be able to save it.

My machine wasn't new when I got it and it had previous employees using it, so it was always a little odd and quirky, but we never had the time to optimize the drive -- or backup and erase the disk to start over.

We have legitimate copies of PSCS with different serial numbers, so that's not the problem.

And, you are right, quitting and restarting PSCS seems to do the trick.

Now I'm curious as to what's going on.

Hmmmm...network problems--could it have to do with permissions?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Hmmmm...network problems--could it have to do with permissions?
    It's happenig to me again. It says "Cannot save ... because of a disk problem"

This is my home computer. There is a network here, but nobody else sharing the disks or ever using this machine. I do heavily multistak myself. This computer is pretty new (bought before xmas.) I don't think there is any funny business. Sleep disabled. Disk shutdown disabled. 150 GB available. 4GB of ram.

But it's sort of predictable. The problems occurs if PS has been left around open, perhaps with the file browser open.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    I have a feeling that File Browser is a memory hog. I won't use it, I notice a perceptible slowdown after I've viewed files with it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    risdoidrisdoid Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 8, 2005
    same problem
    rutt wrote:

rutt
    I am having the exact same problem, and am not networked, photoshop 7 did not do this to me only started after installing Adobe CS. Has anyone found any solutions/information.