Nick Alexander Restoration Woodies

BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
edited February 11, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Nick Alexander is a well known automobile dealer in Los Angeles. He also owns a woodie restoration business and is a major woodie collector. Once a year, Nick holds an open house, offers space for swapping parts and auto display, and provides a wonderful BBQ lunch.

There is an article about Nick at fineliving.com giving a bit of background. Nick's ultimate goal is to restore one woodie for each year that Ford and Mercury manufactured them, and he's well on his way. I counted the restored woodies he had on display: 65.

Here are a few shots of *some* of Nick's collection as of February 3, 2007. The rest of this series are in this gallery.

128963498-L.jpg

128962067-L.jpg

127671810-L.jpg

127696526-L.jpg
Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited February 11, 2007
    Wow! Boyd Coddington did a Woodie on a recent show. Nothin' on these
    beauties.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Nick Alexander is a well known automobile dealer in Los Angeles. He also owns a woodie restoration business and is a major woodie collector. Once a year, Nick holds an open house, offers space for swapping parts and auto display, and provides a wonderful BBQ lunch.
    There is an article about Nick at fineliving.com giving a bit of background. Nick's ultimate goal is to restore one woodie for each year that Ford and Mercury manufactured them, and he's well on his way. I counted the restored woodies he had on display: 65.
    Here are a few shots of *some* of Nick's collection as of February 3, 2007. The rest of this series are in this gallery.

Confession time....... when I was a kid there was a US TV program called "The Flying Nun" they had one of those Wood Vehicles, and I have never forgotten what that car looked liked rolleyes1.gif 'cause I had never seen a car made of wood before.

Those are in beautiful condition, what would one of those be worth today?
    Great series of car shots .... nice work ........ Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Confession time....... when I was a kid there was a US TV program called "The Flying Nun" they had one of those Wood Vehicles, and I have never forgotten what that car looked liked rolleyes1.gif 'cause I had never seen a car made of wood before.

Those are in beautiful condition, what would one of those be worth today?
    Great series of car shots .... nice work ........ Skippy
    I'm searching for a photo of the Flying Nun woodie. If anyone finds one, please post here...

A going rate I see a lot these days for an excellent condition woodie is $175,000 USD.

Woodies as they are known today were the original station wagons (and station wagons came about to move people back and forth from the train station to the hotels, etc.)

Even Ansel Adams owned a woodie:
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug