Options

Color Question on Recent Order

EdHEdH Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
I recently ordered a full set of 4 x 6 prints from the gallery below:
http://www.hetheringtonphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/2181219#113406108

I don't have a properly calibrated monitor (other than the included Adobe calibration software) so I have been ordering my prints using "Auto" color. So far this has worked pretty well but when I got my order in this week I wasn't completely happy with the colors. Specifically the red sweater has an almost neon magenta tint to it in many of the pictures. My order number was: 243190.

Could you guys take a look at see what might be wrong. The pictures look pretty good on my monitor but I completely understand that might be the problem. Or maybe I should have used "True" color.

I'd appreciate any feedback you can give.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    EdH wrote:
    I recently ordered a full set of 4 x 6 prints from the gallery below:
    http://www.hetheringtonphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/2181219#113406108

I don't have a properly calibrated monitor (other than the included Adobe calibration software) so I have been ordering my prints using "Auto" color. So far this has worked pretty well but when I got my order in this week I wasn't completely happy with the colors. Specifically the red sweater has an almost neon magenta tint to it in many of the pictures. My order number was: 243190.

Could you guys take a look at see what might be wrong. The pictures look pretty good on my monitor but I completely understand that might be the problem. Or maybe I should have used "True" color.

I'd appreciate any feedback you can give.
    Hi Ed, I'm examining the files and I'll be back to you later. You are fully covered by the SmugMug Guarantee: http://www.smugmug.com/prints/our-guarantee.mg
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2007
    Ed, they sure look great to me:

Your original on the left, our Auto Color on the right
    127492782-L.jpg127492744-L.jpg

The i2e version looks great, IMO. But you are the customer and you get to decide thumb.gif

I'm happy to reprint them True Color if you wish - just let me know?
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Ed, they sure look great to me:

Your original on the left, our Auto Color on the right

The i2e version looks great, IMO. But you are the customer and you get to decide thumb.gif

I'm happy to reprint them True Color if you wish - just let me know?

Andy,
    I really appreciate the quick response. I completely agree with you in that the auto color looks better on the screen.

Unfortunately I'm holding the actual print in my hand next to the monitor and on the print the red is so bright it is washing out the detail in the sweater. On screen I can see the stiching on the sweater but on the print its very difficult to see. Something is off on the face as well. On the screen this picture has much more detail in his face than the print. The print has a strange color cast that's washing out his facial detail. I've got this problem on most of the prints.

Could the printing just have been slightly off that day? I've ordered quite a few pictures from my standard Smugmug site (www.hetheringtons.smugmug.com) using auto color and I've been thrilled with the results on everything else.

I would like a reprint of the order if you don't mind. I'll let you use your expert judgement as to whether you think auto or true will give me better results.

Also, is there any way you could select express shipping on that order? My client needs these to work on a gift for her husband and I had told her they would be here by the weekend. Feel free to bill the extra shipping to the card on the order. (On a site note, I live in Atlanta and this order took 6 days from the time I received the "order has shipped" e-mail until it arrived at my house. Does the shipment always go out on the day that e-mail goes out? Just curious because 6 days seems like a long time to go the 12 miles or so between the EZ Prints and my house)

Thanks again for the help.

Ed
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2007
    EdH wrote:

I would like a reprint of the order if you don't mind.
    Done. I reworked the files by hand, all of them. I'm sure they'll print up great. We'll also pay for faster delivery, no problem. The Atlanta PO is out of our jurisdiction, they are really, really bad. You are not the first pro to complain about delivery in the Atlanta area :(
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Done. I reworked the files by hand, all of them. I'm sure they'll print up great. We'll also pay for faster delivery, no problem. The Atlanta PO is out of our jurisdiction, they are really, really bad. You are not the first pro to complain about delivery in the Atlanta area :(

Andy,
    Thanks for the AWESOME service. As usual, you have gone above and beyond. I can't wait to see the prints.

Ed
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    EdH wrote:
    Andy,
    Thanks for the AWESOME service. As usual, you have gone above and beyond. I can't wait to see the prints.

Ed

Andy,
    I hate to be a pest after you've already been so helpful but is there any way you could check the status of the reorder of these prints? I didn't receive a shipping notice but I'm not sure if I should expect to since you did the reorder. The prints haven't arrived yet so I just wanted to check. Thanks again for all the help.

Ed
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    EdH wrote:
    Andy,
    I hate to be a pest after you've already been so helpful but is there any way you could check the status of the reorder of these prints? I didn't receive a shipping notice but I'm not sure if I should expect to since you did the reorder. The prints haven't arrived yet so I just wanted to check. Thanks again for all the help.

Ed
    Hi Ed, as of this moment, it's at Fedex in Alpharetta

Feb 10, 2007 10:41 AM

At local FedEx facility

ALPHARETTA, GA

I expect you'll have it soon!
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Ed, as of this moment, it's at Fedex in Alpharetta

Feb 10, 2007 10:41 AM

At local FedEx facility

ALPHARETTA, GA

I expect you'll have it soon!

Great! Thanks for the quick response.

Ed
  • Options
    ProtographerProtographer Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Done. I reworked the files by hand, all of them. I'm sure they'll print up great. We'll also pay for faster delivery, no problem.
    How did the reprinted order turn out?