Options

Sad times...

Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
edited January 25, 2005 in People
a few of you I have told, most I have not. But my grandpa, who I am VERY close to, has been told that he has cancer. His doctor said it could be weeks it could be months. This is hitting us very hard. Grandpa has just retired as the pastor of the Franklin Baptist Church. He started the church 46 years ago in his own home. There are now over 400 members. He is also the chairman of the World Baptist Fellowship, sending missionaries all over the world!

He has touched lives all over this earth and they are coming out of the wood work to say there goodbyes and prayers.

To look at him you would not know he is sick at all. He has a slight cough but thats it. He is still up and well and spoiling grandma like crazy. They plan to take a new type of treatment and keep him at home. He knows that it is all in Gods hands. We are praying for Gods will not ours.

But to my point.....

Its hard to get smiles anymore but I managed to get some today.

This is Grandpa in his chair with his two daughters (my aunt donna far left, My mom far right) and Grandma.

We are trying to enjoy the times we have left. This is one of those times.

Enjoy(time with love ones) Photograohy!
www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....

Comments

• Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Great Pic Tim!
    My thoughts and prayers are with you as I'm going threw a similar thing with my Mom.

Only one thing I can say.........

CHIN UP!!!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited January 16, 2005
    Tim,

Very sorry to hear about this. My thoughts and prayers.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Tim, that photo is going to be be a treasured one, it's wonderful. I'm so sorry to hear about your granfather's illness, and I wish him and your family the best.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Tim,

I wish you and yours strength in the time to come and hope you can enjoy many a good time yet...
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Tim, that is a wonderful family portrait.
    Your father can be very proud, good looking daughters,
    you..... a very nice family he has.

God Bless,
    ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Tim thats a wonderful picture to be treasured. I wish you strength and peace for the times to come. I'm so sorry.

Lynn
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Tim,

That's a great family picture!
    I'm sorry to hear about the hard time you're going through.
    Hang in there!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    Thank you everyone.

We are doing our best to keep our spirits up. He is a great man of God and God has a plan.

He told me last night that he has a peace about it and he is willing to accept what comes, and that he has no regrets and has had a wonderful time serving the Lord.

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. I will do my best to keep you all informed, I feel though as we are a family here at smugmug.

Tim

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    My stepfather knew his time was coming, and we had a few weeks to talk with him, learn his stories and thigs about him that we wanted to be able to pass down to the next generation. He gave me his dad's pocketwatch. As his health diminished he felt he was a burden on us. Nothing could be further from the truth. The only alternative option is to get a phone call letting you know that someone has passed unexpectedly. I think that would be worse for me.

You have a very close family there. Grandpa did a good job and he deserves to be proud of every one of you.
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2005
    Great pic, Tim - it's a keeper. Best of luck to him.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    My stepfather knew his time was coming, and we had a few weeks to talk with him, learn his stories and thigs about him that we wanted to be able to pass down to the next generation. He gave me his dad's pocketwatch. As his health diminished he felt he was a burden on us. Nothing could be further from the truth. The only alternative option is to get a phone call letting you know that someone has passed unexpectedly. I think that would be worse for me.

You have a very close family there. Grandpa did a good job and he deserves to be proud of every one of you.

Thanks Lucky,

We are spending as much time as we can with him. These are the days we will remeber the most.

Dr. says that when he does get worse he will slip into a comma and he has signed a living will saying he does not want life support. So it wont be unexpectedly but it will be fast.

Thanks for your support.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2005
    TristanP wrote:
    Great pic, Tim - it's a keeper. Best of luck to him.

Tristan, thank you so much. It was not a planned shot but I managed to get some smiles so it had to be taken. Kinda hard to get smiles these days, esp. with my mom, she is taking it the worse.

Thanks for your reply.

• Options
    SheyeSheye Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 25, 2005
    While I don't know you, I feel very sad for your family at this hard time. One thing I always regret when my mother in law was dying with a brain tumor in 2000 was not taking the opportunity to video record her. I had the idea to sit down with her over a cuppa and ask all the questions I could think of - "what was your wedding day like?" "what are your best memories?" "what do you hope for our family" etc etc...I always intended to do it and sadly never got the chance. I would encourage you to do something appropriate for your family to record those sacred memories, whether it be writing, audio or video recording. You will always treasure it.

Warm wishes
    Sheye
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    Thank You Sheye, We are doing better now the the orig. shock of it is past. He has had his first two treatments. After the forth treatment they will do another catscan to see if the treatments are affecting the cancer at all. I have been doing my best to shoot the smiles when I see them.

Thanks for you concern.

Sheye wrote:
    record those sacred memories, whether it be writing, audio or video recording. You will always treasure it.

I too have had this idea. I have already thought to buy a stack of audio tapes and give them to him with a recorder and have him make a seperate tape for everyone in the family. I would then copy them to cd. I can only imagine how good it will feel to be able to hear his voice years down the road.

Tim