Options

Remembering when....

JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
edited January 29, 2007 in Sports
Remembering when I could go to the track and enjoy a day of racing. That time seems far far away...there's an ice storm just outside my window.

Here are some shots from last season...

123259711-L.jpg
Taken at the Joliet MX Park, Joliet IL.

123260052-L.jpg
Some Quad action at the Byron Motosports Park, Byron IL.

123260377-L.jpg
The little guys get in on the action too.

123260893-L.jpg
Road racing at Black Hawk Farms, Rockton IL.

123261168-L.jpg
More from Black Hawk Farms.

123261499-L.jpg
The big guys ride on two wheels and Byron too.

123262141-L.jpg
James Stewart at the Millville National.

123262684-L.jpg
RC taking the first moto win, at Millville.

123263596-L.jpg
RC laps the field in the rain and mud, in moto 2 at Millville...which gave him the overall of course.

I know it seems like spring will never get here, but actually it won't be long before I'm back at the track snapping shots, shooting the sh*t with the fans, and writing stories for Cycle USA. I can hardly wait.

Thanks for looking!:D
Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D

Comments

• Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Wow great shots!

My almost 15 year old son asked me for a motorbike...he wants to do stuff like that..eek7.gif I didn't just say "No"...I said "Hello NO!!!"rolleyes1.gif

Then he said "that's so uncool mom".
  • Options
    CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    Wow great shots!

My almost 15 year old son asked me for a motorbike...he wants to do stuff like that..eek7.gif I didn't just say "No"...I said "Hello NO!!!"rolleyes1.gif

Then he said "that's so uncool mom".

Hey Seneca - I know it's terrifying to put your kid on a motorcycle and say "Don't break your leg" but it really is a great way to keep young kids (boys and girls) out of trouble, away from drugs and bad influences. It's also a great motivator to do well in school (you can threaten to take the bike away). Not to mention that it's fantastic exercise and Motocross riders are arguably the most fit athletes in the world.

The down sides are that it's expensive, a few grand at least to get him setup with a bike and gear plus you have to have a way to transport the bike to the track if your house isn't smack in the middle of nowhere.

Just a few things for you to think about :D
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Nice set Jeffro - I'm dyin over here in Denver, we've been buried in snow for a month now! I haven't ridden my streetbike in probably 3 months and it's been at least 6 weeks since I've been to the Motocross track. Grrrrrrr, I don't know how much longer I can handle this!
  • Options
    xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Great shots jeffro, winter just arived to day on the gulf coast and I have been asked to go shot some road racers on the 27th. I am looking for some gloves that will be warm and still operate the camera. headscratch.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Senaca: Don't be afraid of motocross. Less kids are hurt racing than they are after they get their drivers license and take to the roads in a car.

Charla: I don't have a bike, anymore, but I'm thinking about gettng another one. I do at least have access to one of my dad's Harley's..:D

xtnomad: Gloves, you don't need no stinking gloves! I use the old hand warmers up the coat sleeve trick. If you haven't tried it, you should. If you get some disposable handwarmers (the kind you shake to activate) and slip them just under the cuffs of your jacket, against your wrist (bottom), the blood that pumps to your hands is warmed by the hand warmers. I have been able to go without gloves, when shooting in some very cold temps. Part of it also comes down to what you can with stand, but some fingerless gloves used with the warmers is a good thing too.

Think spring!!

PS...the ice has turned to snow. eek7.gif
  • Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Nice shots as usual Jeffro, i should be posting more MX when the season starts just got accreditation
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    gsgary wrote:
    Nice shots as usual Jeffro, i should be posting more MX when the season starts just got accreditation

That's cool, I'll be looking! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    Senaca: Don't be afraid of motocross. Less kids are hurt racing than they are after they get their drivers license and take to the roads in a car.

Charla: I don't have a bike, anymore, but I'm thinking about gettng another one. I do at least have access to one of my dad's Harley's..:D

xtnomad: Gloves, you don't need no stinking gloves! I use the old hand warmers up the coat sleeve trick. If you haven't tried it, you should. If you get some disposable handwarmers (the kind you shake to activate) and slip them just under the cuffs of your jacket, against your wrist (bottom), the blood that pumps to your hands is warmed by the hand warmers. I have been able to go without gloves, when shooting in some very cold temps. Part of it also comes down to what you can with stand, but some fingerless gloves used with the warmers is a good thing too.

Think spring!!

PS...the ice has turned to snow. eek7.gif

Oh good! You're finally getting the snow you were wishing for! Fantastic tip about the hand warmers, I'll have to remember that. :D

It's definitely nice to at least have access to a bike. I really have my eye on a new CRF150R Expert (Not that I'm an expert it's just a bit taller) but man those babies are expensive. Then I have to decide "Do I wanna ride bikes or shoot bikes? Ride or shoot?" I can't afford both! Oh decisions, decisions.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Charla wrote:
    I have to decide "Do I wanna ride bikes or shoot bikes? Ride or shoot?" I can't afford both! Oh decisions, decisions.

I have some friends with motocross bikes, so I can ride those anytime I want too. One of my buddies even has a small track about 2 blocks from my house. When the windows are open (summer) I can hear whenever he decides to ride. I don't get as many aches and pains when I shoot though....rolleyes1.gif

Funny thing though, they trust me with their bikes, but I wouldn't let them touch my camera's with a ten foot pole! :D
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Hahaha thanks ya'll for the words of encouragement. I don't think I'm going to win this battle with him...his dad already told him that he could do it if he wants...so much for the HELL NO!

This child has no fear of nothing...he's just like his dad. He fell in love with motorcross when his best friend took him to ride. I know I need to just let him experience it for himself...but still there's this part of me that says..."he's my baby!!!" :cry
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    I don't think I'm going to win this battle with him...his dad already told him that he could do it if he wants...so much for the HELL NO!

Here is a link ( http://www.motobyron.com/soccer%20moms.htm ) to a letter to the soccer moms of America, I think you may get a kick out of.
  • Options
    Captn14Captn14 Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    These are all very cool shots...Although this sport is not for me I do like these pics !!

Nice work .

Rod

• Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    great shots.wings.gif have you ever been to the track by the QC's? Right on the Mississippi by Le Clair?
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    Here is a link ( http://www.motobyron.com/soccer%20moms.htm ) to a letter to the soccer moms of America, I think you may get a kick out of.

I can relate to that in so many ways, being a motorcyclist & a mom. Thanks for the link, I had my husband read it also and he asked for a copy to take to work with him.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    Charla wrote:
    Thanks for the link, I had my husband read it also and he asked for a copy to take to work with him.

You're welcome. :D
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    great shots.wings.gif have you ever been to the track by the QC's? Right on the Mississippi by Le Clair?

Thanks for the compliment, and no I haven't been to a track by the Quads.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    Captn14 wrote:
    These are all very cool shots...Although this sport is not for me I do like these pics !!

Nice work .

Thank you. :D
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    AWESOME shots! love the quad pic best though. :D
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    AWESOME shots! love the quad pic best though. :D

I noticed....thanks again. It'll be a while longer before I get back to the track.....seeing as how it's snowing out right now.
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    I noticed....thanks again. It'll be a while longer before I get back to the track.....seeing as how it's snowing out right now.

makes me appreciate "sunny" california all that much more. hehe.