Options

NFL Shoot like a Pro contest - NY Jets... who's got the best photo?

sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
edited March 27, 2007 in Sports
Most of you probably don't know, but I won the first week of the contest and scored a second body and some sideline passes to a jets game. Now that the home game season is over, who has the best photo? The person that submitted the best "football players in action" photo gets VIP access to spring 07 training camp!!!

http://www.nyjets.com/canon

I think I have it, but just wanted to get your opinions on the matter. Things I concentrate on when shooting football is tight, face, ball, action. The background is a little hot on mine, but its nicely seperated w/ DOF, and you can clearly see the ball and face during a perfect catch. icon_smile.gif

lol... IDK what some of those people were thinking w/ the photo they submitted! The last one isnt even in focus, then you have some dude standing there, a jets player mucking up a kick, and a bunch of turf humpers! HAHAH!

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    I think #2 and #6 are the only ones that might give you a run for your money. Good luck in the contest!
  • Options
    controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    If you don't win based on the competition than I'd be stunned... #6 is the only other shot that comes close in my opinion, and it's from the wrong sideline. Best of luck!

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    controld wrote:
    If you don't win based on the competition than I'd be stunned... #6 is the only other shot that comes close in my opinion, and it's from the wrong sideline. Best of luck!

- Mike

Yep #6 is the only other contender. I do remember when you won too. Being as how the judges picked some crap, like you said one is oof, one is some goofy looking missed kick, then some ground humping?-is that football? Anyway, it's kind of like instant replay in the NFL...just when you think you know the outcome......eek7.gif

If the football in your shot was in focus, I'd guarantee you the win, for what's that worth. I like that your subject is facing us, but #6 looks really good.

Your shot is a crop...if I remember right, I wonder if #6 is? I also wonder if that has anything to do with the judges final thoughts.ne_nau.gif

Be sure and let us know. thumb.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    Yep #6 is the only other contender. I do remember when you won too. Being as how the judges picked some crap, like you said one is oof, one is some goofy looking missed kick, then some ground humping?-is that football? Anyway, it's kind of like instant replay in the NFL...just when you think you know the outcome......eek7.gif

If the football in your shot was in focus, I'd guarantee you the win, for what's that worth. I like that your subject is facing us, but #6 looks really good.

Your shot is a crop...if I remember right, I wonder if #6 is? I also wonder if that has anything to do with the judges final thoughts.ne_nau.gif

Be sure and let us know. thumb.gif

Mine was cropped slightly... I think that eric smith one is cropped much more!

imga_0023.jpg
  • Options
    HannyHanny Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Everyone else is just like a "oh, look a catch or whatever, blah blah."

Yours has context with the glove. And I didn't realize it till I looked closer. "Lucky Glove." You see the tattered old thing he wears and it gets you thinking "Wow, he really won't part with that thing."

Pictures are supposed to make you think. Yours does. You win, hands down.

Oh, and GO JETS!!!!! wings.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:

imga_0023.jpg

Man, that guy has muscles on his muscles.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:

I think you have a real strong chance at winning. Again....good luck! :D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    Johnny VJohnny V Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    Looks Like We are Both Losers!
    Hi Sirsloop and all,

A friend of mine came across this forum/post and contacted me...I figured I'd respond...as I shot #6.

Looks Like We are Both Losers Sirsloop as #7 won:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/canon

Actually I like the shot that won as it tells a story and has certain energy about it. No I'm not happy that I didn't win the "grand prize" but the more I think about it, I won big already with the XTi and lens, binoculars, four tickets and pre-game shooting. Thousands of fans that entered didn't even win that.

My image is cropped big time...about 1/5th the frame. It's amazing how sharp it is...kudos to Canon's XTi and the 70-200 f2.8. When I have time I'll post the full image.

Best,

John
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I think #2 and #6 are the only ones that might give you a run for your money. Good luck in the contest!
    John, as you can see I picked your shot as a contender weeks ago! Welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around and post images from your new toy. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Johnny VJohnny V Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    John, as you can see I picked your shot as a contender weeks ago! Welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around and post images from your new toy. thumb.gif

Thanks!

I guess I'm second guessing myself right now as maybe I should have cropped the shot differently to tell a more narrative.

Here's a screen shot of the cropped and original file:

http://homepage.mac.com/johnvito/jets_canon.png

Here's the submitted image:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/user_content/canon_slap/112606_ss_smith-large.jpg

Feedback is welcome!

Best,

John
  • Options
    controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    Johnny V wrote:
    Thanks!

I guess I'm second guessing myself right now as maybe I should have cropped the shot differently to tell a more narrative.

Feedback is welcome!

John,

I think you selected the best crop in the circumstances... and in my opinion you and Sloop had the best shots by far... but I didn't have a vote. Seems like you have a good attitude about it though. Congrats to both of you on making it to the finals.

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    wow... totally missed the revisit on this one...

I was let down when I saw that I didn't win, but i'm not one to cry over spilled milk. We came away with an amazing experience and some new toys to boot! Your shot had me worried, John... looks like we both got duped by the 'ol snapshot ne_nau.gif

FYI, more shots from that day....

http://www.jdhaesloop.com/nyj clap.gif