Options

Need advice for Business Insurance and Merchant Account Provider

SchuSchu Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited January 3, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Just starting out, and now is the time for me to get serious. I know it's imperative to have good business insurance. I have not joined any trade associations yet but just found the Society of Sports & Events photogs. They have an affiliation with PPA and I believe are offering their members similar coverage.

Can anyone provide any experiences with this or make any recommendations? I will be doing primarily sporting events, thinking about team and individual photos as I hear these can be lucrative. I also do nightclub events, corporate events, portraits, and have done a few weddings.

Also in the market for having a wireless merchant account system. I use a Palm Treo and have seen this used in the field. I know I'll use the merchant account on Smugmug for folks who order thru this site. But if I choose to use my own lab, can I still use the Smug mug merchant account or would I want to use my own?

Appreciate any assistance you can lend.

Dan

Comments

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Schu wrote:
    I know I'll use the merchant account on Smugmug for folks who order thru this site. But if I choose to use my own lab, can I still use the Smug mug merchant account or would I want to use my own?

Appreciate any assistance you can lend.

Dan

If you use smugmug to fill orders done thru the site, they use ezprints. You have no choice in that, not that I would change it.

I use smugmug for ordering and have been happy. I use a few other vendors for specific, less ordered items, (ie canvas stretched and mounted prints, and large posters (due to $avings).

If you want to use a different lab then orders can't be made thru smugmug, but you could use it to show the work.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me