Two pictures, same place, with and without flash

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited January 1, 2007 in Technique
These 2 pictures are different because one has been shot with flash and the other has not.
I like best the one with flash. The balance is better transmitting the ambient of the place.
The model was cooperative. This was shot in the Republic of Ireland where people are nice and kind.
What do you think about these pictures, IYP ?
Without flash
119877921-M.jpg119876367-M.jpg
Date Taken: 2006-05-23 13:51:53 Date Digitized: 2006-05-23 13:51:53
Date Modified: 2006-12-30 22:49:26 Make: Canon Model: Canon EOS 20D
Size: 2480x3661 Bytes: 2217314 Aperture: f/4.0 ISO: 400
Focal Length: 20mm Exposure Time: 1/80 Fash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Exposure Program: Normal program Exposure Bias: 0 ExposureMode: 0
White Balance: auto With flash
119876588-M.jpg119876886-M.jpg
Date Taken: 2006-05-23 13:52:02 Date Digitized: 2006-05-23 13:52:02
Date Modified: 2006-12-30 23:02:33 Make: Canon Model: Canon EOS 20D Size: 2480x3661
Bytes: 2265863 Aperture: f/4.5 ISO: 400 Focal Length: 18mm
Exposure Time: 1/60 Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, red-eye reduction mode
Exposure Program: Normal program Exposure Bias: 0 ExposureMode: 0
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    Nice shot! I agree the flash version is better. I think it makes less difference in the black and white version, in the colour version it definitely provides more detail in the shadow areas and brings out more colour in the shadows. I prefer my B+W shots to be dark and moody :-)
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    El Kiwi wrote:
    Nice shot! I agree the flash version is better. I think it makes less difference in the black and white version, in the colour version it definitely provides more detail in the shadow areas and brings out more colour in the shadows. I prefer my B+W shots to be dark and moody :-)

Thank you for the comment.
    Nice 2007 !!thumb.gif
    edited December 31, 2006
    Nice 2007 !!thumb.gif

Igualmente - feliz ano novo!
    edited December 31, 2006
    El Kiwi wrote:
    Igualmente - feliz ano novo!

As I say, there are many Portuguese speaking people around the World ...

Um Ano de 2007 com Saúde que é o melhor que há meu amigo !thumb.gif
    edited December 31, 2006
    Bueno, no hablo portugués sino español, pero es parecido :-)

Igualmente para tí, que el 2007 te traiga todo lo mejor...
    edited December 31, 2006
    El Kiwi wrote:
    Bueno, no hablo portugués sino español, pero es parecido :-)

Igualmente para tí, que el 2007 te traigo todo lo mejor...

O que é certo é que nos entendemos nas nossas línguas pátrias ...
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    Happy New Year Antonio. Very very nice photo and a very expert use of flash. I prefer the non-flash. The shasow detail add nothiing to the photo and the darkened areas causing the eye to focus on the brighter areas of the priest and table. I'd crop out the ceiling as it is more of a distraction than an addition to the shot. I really like how the wimdow isn't blown out and reflects the green of outside. Once again nice photo, good job.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited December 31, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Happy New Year Antonio. Very very nice photo and a very expert use of flash. I prefer the non-flash. The shasow detail add nothiing to the photo and the darkened areas causing the eye to focus on the brighter areas of the priest and table. I'd crop out the ceiling as it is more of a distraction than an addition to the shot. I really like how the wimdow isn't blown out and reflects the green of outside. Once again nice photo, good job.

Gary
    Thank you Gary.
    Have a Good and Healthy 2007 ! thumb.gif
  • Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    I like the b&w w/o the flash, but the color with the flash.
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw
    edited December 31, 2006
    Duckys54 wrote:
    I like the b&w w/o the flash, but the color with the flash.

Thank you.
    The same to you for 2007 thumb.gif
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    The color balance on the one without the flash appears to be a shade cooler than the one with the flash. On the color version I prefer the warmer tones of the one with the flash but I am not certain that the flash is the reason for the warmer colors.

I B&W, I think the fill provided by the reflection off the map is just right for his face and the extra fill from the flash washes it out a little too much. As for the rest of the room, I think it benefits from the fill flash but in this picture the room comes second so I say the no flash shot wins.
    edited December 31, 2006
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The color balance on the one without the flash appears to be a shade cooler than the one with the flash. On the color version I prefer the warmer tones of the one with the flash but I am not certain that the flash is the reason for the warmer colors.

I B&W, I think the fill provided by the reflection off the map is just right for his face and the extra fill from the flash washes it out a little too much. As for the rest of the room, I think it benefits from the fill flash but in this picture the room comes second so I say the no flash shot wins.

A very interesting approach.
    Thank you and have a nice 2007... thumb.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 1, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:

The ambient lighting was shade ( skylight) via the window and that, of curse, tends to be cool, blue, without altering the WB or using an 81a filter or some such for correction.

The flash shot is slightly warmer to my eye also. I agree with the fill for the face reflecting/transilluminating from the map. Kind of like holding a reflector in front and below a portrait for fill.

Nice shots Antonio. These were shot in Program mode I see. It might be nice to shoot a similar shot again in Manual Mode in the camera also...
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited January 1, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    The ambient lighting was shade ( skylight) via the window and that, of curse, tends to be cool, blue, without altering the WB or using an 81a filter or some such for correction.

The flash shot is slightly warmer to my eye also. I agree with the fill for the face reflecting/transilluminating from the map. Kind of like holding a reflector in front and below a portrait for fill.

Nice shots Antonio. These were shot in Program mode I see. It might be nice to shoot a similar shot again in Manual Mode in the camera also...

Hi Pathfinder.
    Thank you for the comment.
    Too late for another shot. :D
    At that time :D I was shooting in P.
    As I learn I try to shoot at different and better ways ...
    The use of the flash is very demanding. Well, at least for now ...
    But the final result in P is rather good ...
    Nice 2007 thumb.gif