Options

A snowy day in the park

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited February 13, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm sure everyone is tired of winter by now, but here are a few more winter pics.

2370444-M.jpg

2370598-M.jpg

Please feel free to critique either one.

-Eric

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    I'm sure everyone is tired of winter by now, but here are a few more winter pics.

2370444-M.jpg

2370598-M.jpg

Please feel free to critique either one.

-Eric
    Thanks Eric..I'm a really newbie at this so anything good is probably luck.. I like the shapes in your pictures, I think I would have like the first one with the tree to be sans footprints... don't know why, the arches looking through to the snow I really like.. haunting. I can only say what I like as I have no technical expertise. I like 'em.
    Lynn
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 13, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Thanks Eric..I'm a really newbie at this so anything good is probably luck.. I like the shapes in your pictures, I think I would have like the first one with the tree to be sans footprints... don't know why, the arches looking through to the snow I really like.. haunting. I can only say what I like as I have no technical expertise. I like 'em.
    Lynn
    What Lynn said.

You have to get up early to get snow without footprints - of course one could clone them out carefully if one did not care about artistic integrity. That is what I would have done. Good balance of the mass of the tree versus the table.

I liked the arches too - I might have cloned out the light fixtures in the ceiling - they seem to catch my eye and distract me from the arches - but haunting like Lynn said....... A good beginning. Less is usually better especially in B&W.

Sepia tone perhaps for the arches?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    You have to get up early to get snow without footprints - of course one could clone them out carefully if one did not care about artistic integrity.
    lynmaa wrote:
    I think I would have like the first one with the tree to be sans footprints
    Those aren't footprints! :D

They're animal tracks of some kind (I think they're deer tracks). Considering that it was the local residents of the park that left the tracks, I thought they were kind of neat addition.

pathfinder wrote:
    I liked the arches too - I might have cloned out the light fixtures in the ceiling - they seem to catch my eye and distract me from the arches
    I'll give that a try. If I like the looks of it I'll post it here.

Thanks for the comments!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 13, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Those aren't footprints! :D

They're animal tracks of some kind (I think they're deer tracks). Considering that it was the local residents of the park that left the tracks, I thought they were kind of neat addition.

I'll give that a try. If I like the looks of it I'll post it here.

Thanks for the comments!
    Sorry about the footprints statement - but the photographs center of interest is the tree and the table and the space between them - not of the animal tracks - animal tracks are cool and can make nice pictures but they need their opn picture - I have one of deer tracks crossing a covered bridge that I like - but the tracks in your picture are not the center of the viewers attention - to ME ( maybe no one else would agree with me here). To me they distract my eye from the real center of attention in the picture......

Here the tracks ARE the center of attention and thus lead the eye into the bridge

1667186-L.jpg

Please do not misunderstand me here cletus - I like the picture of the tree and the table very much - the lighting and the tension between the two masses appeal to me - they intrigue me - I was just offering MY suggestion as to how to take a basically GOOD picture and maybe make it a Great picture. It is just my opinion.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2004
    Great to see the other side of the world like this, good shots....i saw frost on the ground once, even saw ice on a car windscreen many years ago as a kid.

So is it melting now .. Or will you get more snow ?
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Great to see the other side of the world like this, good shots....i saw frost on the ground once, even saw ice on a car windscreen many years ago as a kid.

Here in Massachusetts it is not uncommon to see a last snowfall in April. Up in Calgary where one dgrinner is, the last fall is probably June and the first is probably September. baldy.gif
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2004
    Humungus wrote:

Here At my altitude 3500 feet we can get snow year round . Spring comes and goes sometimes it can go from winter to summer and skip spring all together.

2383317-M.jpg

I guess when you are rewarded with views like this you must take what mother nature gives you.

And by the way Cletus I liked both of your shots. Very moving nice composition.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Please do not misunderstand me here cletus - I like the picture of the tree and the table very much - the lighting and the tension between the two masses appeal to me - they intrigue me - I was just offering MY suggestion as to how to take a basically GOOD picture and maybe make it a Great picture. It is just my opinion.
    The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. The tracks do distract from a strong foreground image. I might try to clean it up in Photoshop.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2004
    Humungus wrote:

The snow from my pictures is slowly melting away. I would imagine we'll get some more snow before winter is done though. Spring doesn't really get going around here until mid March.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    The snow from my pictures is slowly melting away. I would imagine we'll get some more snow before winter is done though. Spring doesn't really get going around here until mid March.
    This is another snow picture (boy am I getting repetative) it's not supposed to be good really, I just thought it was funny. You could'nt get a table top to do that if you engineered it, and note my husbands slinky on the bird feeder, (keeps the squirrils off NOT!) but they hate it.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2004
    Humungus wrote:

Humungus? where exactly IS the wasteland...
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Humungus? where exactly IS the wasteland...
    Right here...

http://brisbane-stories.powerup.com.au/core/home/stories_frames.htm

• Options
    edited February 13, 2004
    About in between the latitudes of Antofagasta & La Serena, Chile.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    About in between the latitudes of Antofagasta & La Serena, Chile.
    Cool Humy... I lived in Sydney and the bush for 5 years and visited Brisbane, lovely place...may come back one day, if I live that long...