Options

Tae Kwon Do

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited February 6, 2009 in Sports
Big day for the Tae Kwon Do club today. They were all doing their tests to move up another belt. The kids were great :thumb I shot these with my Canon 5D, Canon 24-105L, and Canon 580EX.

I Shot in RAW + Small JPG in camera. AI Servo focus. Manual exposure, 1/200th sec, f/5 and ISO 800. Focal lengths were typically 24mm - 30mm, as the room was really tight. The flash was set in ETTL mode, and bounced off the ceiling. Positive EC of 2/3s stop on the flash. I like to push the exposures as bright as possible - I don't care if a bit of the white uniforms get blown, I'm really after the best exposure possible for the faces.

Before the event, I made a gallery on my site. I printed up small sheets of paper with the gallery address and more info, for the parents at the event. The gallery is set for Proof Delay, so that when the parents order, I will be able to only work up in final form, the shots that are being bought.

Here are some samples though :D

111388527-L.jpg

111388498-L.jpg111388545-L.jpg

111388461-L.jpg

Determination
111388471-L.jpg

First time breaking two boards at once
111388485-L.jpg

111388418-L.jpg

No pain, no gain.
111388444-L.jpg

This little girl brought down the house when she was awarded "most improved." :thumb
111388561-L.jpg111388576-L.jpg

Enjoy (event) photography,

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    That little girls face at the end is worth everything ! Sharp shots mate !!!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    Nice series.

Lightsphere?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nice series.

Lightsphere?
    Thanks. I had the lightsphere with me, always do. But I didn't use it. The ceiling was only 8 feet tall, and it was white. Perfect for bouncing.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    What a great series...the expressions are priceless! Thanks for posting all of the detail on your exposures, flash settings, etc. Really helpful! :saurora
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    Andy,

Nice series. The only detraction is the angle. All the shots are shooting down on the participants rather than at their level which I think weakens the overall impact.

Love the faces on the ki-ahps!
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2006
    johng wrote:
    All the shots are shooting down on the participants rather than at their level

Huh. In this series (only a few out of about 600 shots today) #s 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 are at eye-level to the subjects, I don't understand headscratch.gif

Here's one more, from the sparring sessions:

111421230-L-0.jpg

BTW, I totally agree, shooting at their level is what I aim for when I can. In this room (very tiny!) I have to cohabit with the Master, three giant judges, and all the kids sitting around me lol3.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    Andy wrote:

111421230-Ti.jpg

You lay those kids out on the floor, you could play Twister©!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 19, 2006
    neat shots-

love the ones of the most improved-
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 19, 2006
    Hey Andy,

BRILLIANT !!! :D

I totally love Trev's face in this shot...

111388471-S.jpg

Cheers,

Dave
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    thanks Andy ..that was interestingthumb.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Hey Andy,

BRILLIANT !!! :D

I totally love Trev's face in this shot...

111388471-Th.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

lol3.gif here he is, practicing, I guess naughty.gif
    111464010-L-1.jpg

Thanks!
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Huh. In this series (only a few out of about 600 shots today) #s 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 are at eye-level to the subjects, I don't understand headscratch.gif
    lol3.gif

Sure, in 1-6 (except for one of them) just look at how much the floor rises - you can tell by that you're shooting at a downward angle. But again, they're still great shots - it's just with kids this small you almost have to get down on your belly or at least sitting (or get a crimp in your back from hunching over from a kneeling position)
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2006
    johng wrote:
    Sure, in 1-6 (except for one of them) just look at how much the floor rises - you can tell by that you're shooting at a downward angle. But again, they're still great shots - it's just with kids this small you almost have to get down on your belly or at least sitting (or get a crimp in your back from hunching over from a kneeling position)
    Reading is hard :D

OK here are two more just for you, John naughty.gif

111505065-L.jpg111505037-L.jpg
  • Options
    roostermanroosterman Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2006
    Love the little blonde guy under "Determination".
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2006
    roosterman wrote:
    Love the little blonde guy under "Determination".
    :D thanks! He's my youngest :D
  • Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    All these photo's rock Andy, but number 5,7 and the look of shock from the young girl at the end are just magic, some parents are really gunna love youmwink.gifmwink.gif
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    bowdown.gifbownice series....realy nice one of your youngest prior to his board breaking......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    I guess when Trevor asks me to pass the Turkey on Thursday, I better listen :D
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 20, 2006
    this is so cool:

111388461-Th.jpg

great set Andy thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Very nice
    Tomorrow we're going to watch CJ at his karate class for the first time. My daughter shoots with the Sony S75 which she dearly loves. However I haven't been able to see if it has a white balance adjustment -- the fluorescent tubes have this awful green tinge in the photos. I spend a lot of time trying to correct in post.

So my F828 (which was "fixed") is ailing and will go back in for repair after the class, and I have the 707, which is working. I have my Sunpak but have to practice with it today on the 707 in case the 828 is not going to work correctly. I'm hoping the ceiling is white and low enough to bounce off of and that CJ won't be working in the dreaded third ring. Apparently the parents have to stay put in the front of the place, so that means I'd wind up shooting between kids to get to CJ.

It was good to see you were able to bounce the flash and get such good photos. I'm sure a good strong flash helps in a situation like this.

However, it looks as if you were able to get close to the action... something I may not be allowed to do. sigh!

So I'll be keeping your wonderful photos in mind tomorrow! You give me a lot to strive for...
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited November 21, 2006
    Excellent shots Andy thumb.gifthumb.gif As mentioned, really nice flash control clap.gif

I agree with Dave. The look on Trev's face is priceless wings.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2006
    111388561-L.jpg

The action shots are good... but this one is great you can almost hear her bubbling over. wings.gif
    --Kres
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2006
    mushy wrote:
    All these photo's rock Andy, but number 5,7 and the look of shock from the young girl at the end are just magic, some parents are really gunna love youmwink.gifmwink.gif
    Thanks Mushy, that's my fave as well.
  • Options
    asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    Aye, reminds me of the pride and elation of getting your stuff right on the day. I think the shots convey some of the flare and style of the art. Little tiny super humans.

Heres a thought: A capture of a spinning hook with some motion blur! eh! I would try and get it down but I think the experiment would land me in intensive these days.
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com
  • Options
    imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    Hey Andy, Great pictures of the kids. I got a kick out of this one. Your sons face seems to say "I can't Wait To Do That!"

111388461-M.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration..................

Joe
  • Options
    jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    Awesome shots andy! Been looking for the rest of these shots!
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    Great action and great action shots too Andy. I love the expressions on their faces, quick reaction from you to get those key moments.

I also love your tip (might steal it from you) to make a gallery upfront and give the parents a little card with the URL...

Why did I not think of that before? I have started shooting birthday parties and such, and I often find that the organizer does not give the link out, so people don't see the children... Missing out on sales.

You did a fine job, looks like the kids forgot that you were there, which always works for me.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    Awesome shots Andy. As one who has studied a mixed martial arts style for the past 6 years (and been a black belt for the past 2 of those years teaching)... I really do enjoy seeing others out there who enjoy taking Martial Arts photography. My style has kicks very heavily based on Tae Kwon Do, and I must say my favorite of all your shots up there is the yellow belt who is throwing his flying side kick :) Great shot.

I need to get my students some rebreakable boards... (cept my students are all in college, so they probably won't look nearly as awesome as these kids who learned how to do it from such a young age, heh)
  • Options
    mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    Sorry to revive a dead thread but I am sitting right now at a Tae Kwon Do tournament about to take photos. Thanks for the advice in the thread and I'll post my photos up later tonight.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

weapon of choice: Canon 40D
    BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    28-135mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2007
    mrlarter wrote:
    Sorry to revive a dead thread but I am sitting right now at a Tae Kwon Do tournament about to take photos. Thanks for the advice in the thread and I'll post my photos up later tonight.
    thumb.gif how'd it go?

I did some more last weekend, here's one:

Canon 5D, 580EX bounced, and Canon 16-35L II, @ 16mm.
    161405936-L.jpg