smugmug shoot-out at yosemite

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited October 1, 2007 in The Big Picture
announcing the first in what we hope to have as a continuing series of fun, photography and learning!

the smugmug - dgrin spring shootout at yosemite

when: spring 2005
where: yosemite national park

here's the deal: there's no fee for this event. you get yourself to yosemite. i'll arrange for a special deal at a local hotel. we're going to have some landscape photography experts, and a guide. baldy's picking up the drinks and dinner tab for all of us :lol3 (really, he is, i've hacked into the smugmug bank account :deal)

i figure we shoot for a saturday afternoon, party saturday night, we might get lucky and have a moon or other celestial activity for nightshots, and of course we shoot the next morning's sweet light as well.

we'll have experts on hand to help improve your landscape photography techniques.

i need some experienced yosemite shooters to pm or email me, so i can pick your brains for some of the details.

to summarize - there's no fee for this event, but you are responsible for your own travel, accomodations (i'll be arranging the hotel & negotiate a rate) and meals (except for saturday night). exact date tbd - but will be deciding soon, probably before end of january 2005.

anyone can participate, regardless of skill level. and, all ideas welcome! so, who's in?

Comments

• dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    I'm in! Looks like I should have bought the Yosemite book yesterday.

I live in San Francisco and can bring 2-3 more with me. We could rent a big SUV or van if there are enough people from the area.

Dave
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    Um,where is the nearest airport?

Sounds like a blast.Would take some planning on my part,cause I would get lost on the other side of the world 1drink.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited December 25, 2004
    Nearest Airport
    The nearest international airport is San Jose (SJC) or San Francisco (SFO).

From either, it's about a 4.5 hour drive to the park.

I'm in!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    Tentative yes
    Let's hope my clients get some funding so I can afford to go. It will depend on what the accomodations will cost -- or I may be able to negotiate staying with a friend who's 2 hours away. Remember I'm not a morning person. Of course Ed wouldn't pass up a trip to Yosemite, and probably even Rayna might be interested.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 25, 2004
    Woo Haa!! Sounds like great fun!! If dates picked will permit - I'm IN!! It will be a long drive from Indiana, but I hate the modern airport experience.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 25, 2004
    The thought occurs that planning for a time around the opening of Tioga
    Road means that the Toulomne Meadows will be available.

The opening can occur anywhere from May through July. More often than
    not, it's open in late May.

Ian
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    Great idea!
    I think I'm in:-). There always may be a force major at work which would prevent me from going, but otherwise I'm pretty much open to any day, except around April 17th - one of my daughters BD.
    I've been to YNP two times, last one - fall of 2004, when I took a Hike Of Death (8 hours drive, 12 hours hike to the HalfDome, 8 hours drive back - ti-i-i-i-i-i-red!!), pictures here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/206898
    I would definitely enjoy doing something like that again in not-such-a-tense mode:-)

Andy, if you need more info from me - ask here, or shoot me an email, I think you have it.

Thanks - and cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited December 25, 2004
    There is also a local one, I think
    ian408 wrote:
    The nearest international airport is San Jose (SJC) or San Francisco (SFO).

From either, it's about a 4.5 hour drive to the park.

I'm in!

Ian
    Which might be a good idea for the locals: for me it would be an 8 hour drive one way even if the traffic is good, otherwise it may be 10..:-(
    edited December 25, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    II've been to YNP two times, last one - fall of 2004, when I took a Hike Of Death (8 hours drive, 12 hours hike to the HalfDome, 8 hours drive back - ti-i-i-i-i-i-red!!), pictures here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/206898
    The hike up isn't so bad. But going down? Yeeoch! But I'd do it again.

Ian
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    MHJS wrote:
    Um,where is the nearest airport?

Sounds like a blast.Would take some planning on my part,cause I would get lost on the other side of the world 1drink.gif

If you decide to go, fly into SFO or SJC. Both are fairly close to me, and there can be a substantial savings to fly into one vs. the other.

Once you get here, I'll get you to Yosemite... deal.gif

Dave
    edited December 25, 2004
    Exactly..
    ian408 wrote:
    The hike up isn't so bad. But going down? Yeeoch! But I'd do it again.

Ian
    It's the down part that got me. Besides, it was "pretty warm" and I ran out of water on the top, which made the way down even worse..

One thing I learned: for this hilke you better wear a nice, light sneakers, forget the boots. And, for your own sake, try to get your legs and lungs in shape before you do it:-)deal.gif

Otherwise, it's a great hike!thumb.gif

Cheers!thumb.gif
    edited December 25, 2004
    More on other airports
    http://www.nps.gov/yose/trip/travel.htm

some excerpts (as you can see there is even Fresno Intl):
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Public Transportation[/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Commercial airports
    Fresno-Yosemite International
    About 2.5 hours south of Yosemite Valley, via Highway 41.
    [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Merced Airport
    About 2 hours west of Yosemite Valley, via Highway 14
    [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Modesto City-County Airport
    About 2 hours west of Yosemite Valley, via Highway 120.
    [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mammoth Lakes Airport
    About 2.5 hours east of Yosemite Valley (when the Tioga Road is open), via Highway 120 East.
    [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]San Francisco International
    About 5 hours west of Yosemite Valley, via Highway 120.
    [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Oakland International
    About 4 hours west of Yosemite Valley, viaHighway 120.
    [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sacramento International
    About 4 hours northwest of Yosemite Valley, via Highway 120.
    [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reno/Tahoe International.
    About 4 hours northwest of Yosemite Valley (when the Tioga Road is open), off of Highway 120 East.
    [/font]
    I like the idea of making a rendezvous at, say, Merced Airport and take a bus or rental from there.
    I understand it does not make a lot of sense for SF/SJ ppl, but for others it might be an option.[/font][/font]
    edited December 25, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    http://www.nps.gov/yose/trip/travel.htm

some excerpts (as you can see there is even Fresno Intl):
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    I like the idea of making a rendezvous at, say, Merced Airport and take a bus or rental from there.
    I understand it does not make a lot of sense for SF/SJ ppl, but for others it might be an option.[/font]
    [/font]
    Depending on whether Tioga Road is open, Reno/Tahoe might put you
    farther away than SFO/SJC/SAC or Oakland :D

Most of the rest of the airports listed are not serviced by a major airline
    or they are served by the small commuters.

Ian
    edited December 25, 2004
    I thought Freson or Merced
    ian408 wrote:
    Depending on whether Tioga Road is open, Reno/Tahoe might put you
    farther away than SFO/SJC/SAC or Oakland :D

Most of the rest of the airports listed are not serviced by a major airline
    or they are served by the small commuters.

Ian
    reno/tahoe was not in my list of options. You see, I live next to LA..
  • obelixobelix Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2004
    I am in. I have some experience in Yosemite, will PM you Andy.
  • Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    I live just south of Fresno...
    Yosemite is a day trip for us, (abt. 3 hrs to Yosemite Valley from our house...but then my husband usually drives well over the speed limit, Laughing.gif!). Would love to join you guys on this outting (this is my first post, btw...so hello everyone!) and stay at a hotel near the Valley in order to catch some better photographic light (we're too old to get up at 3am for morning light, and hubby usually wants to be heading home before the best afternoon light...sigh).

BTW, I'm the friend that Dee mentioned and some of you may remember me from the STF at Dpreview in the past (no longer active there except occasionally). Anyhow, I would be happy to help with scoping out info for the trip, since we live so close and phone calls don't cost us extra here.

A few FYI's for those who will need to fly to the area...

Fresno Yosemite International airport is a bigger airport than the one in Merced and more likely able to handle direct flights from other areas. To fly into Merced, you will probably have to be routed through Fresno anyway, so Fresno would be the more logical place to fly in to. (BTW, I would strongly recommend against San Jose as a place to fly into, unless you like the added headache of commute traffic from the San Francisco Bay Area that crawls along the highways there...adding another 2-3 hrs to your drive time).

As far as when to come...Springtime is a wonderful time to visit Yosemite, but remember that Spring comes later there (around May) because of the higher elevation. I've never been to Tuolumne Meadows and would love to be able to do that. Mono Lake is not far from Tuolumne and it would be great to include it in the trip...but expect to need an extra day to visit those places. You'll need a full day (and then some) just to explore the Valley.

If you come in February, March and most of April the weather can be very unpredictable, but also quite photogenic with billowy clouds in the sky. But the weather can change from sunshine to stormy very quickly and snow can happen (chains are required for travelling there during those months). However, by May, the Valley starts to get a little more crowded with other travelers, (June, July and August are the worst) so you have to weigh the options and decide your priorities.

Anyhow, I'm excited...so please count me in!

~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    I wonder how I'd do in Yosemite. No need for 8.5 frames per second, no need for Ultrasonic autofocus motors, no need for quick reflexes. Talk about a fish out of water.
    edited December 26, 2004
    luckyrwe wrote:
    I wonder how I'd do in Yosemite. No need for 8.5 frames per second, no need for Ultrasonic autofocus motors, no need for quick reflexes. Talk about a fish out of water.
    So you're in luckyrwe?

Nee, Welcome aboard!

I suggested SJC because there are folks (myself included) that can do the
    pickup/carpool thing. Plus it might be cheaper or more convenient than going
    to Fresno (though I must admit, I looked and there are quite a few carriers
    that fly into Fresno these days--so maybe I'm wrong there).

ian
    edited December 26, 2004
    Very nice, thanks a lot 4 the info!
    You've been very helpful!

Welcome aboard - and Merry Christmas!

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    Dunno if I am in or not right now, need to check the work schedule on Monday. umph.gif
    edited December 26, 2004
    Hello Ian!
    ian408 wrote:
    So you're in luckyrwe?

Nee, Welcome aboard!

I suggested SJC because there are folks (myself included) that can do the
    pickup/carpool thing. Plus it might be cheaper or more convenient than going
    to Fresno (though I must admit, I looked and there are quite a few carriers
    that fly into Fresno these days--so maybe I'm wrong there).

ian
    Thanks for the warm welcome! So sorry...I missed seeing your earlier post offering to organize a car pool from the San Jose/SF area. Travelling as a group in a van would be a good thing since visitors are charged by the car and not per person to get into Yosemite (it's a $20 fee, btw!).

A little off thread...but San Jose is sort of my old stompin' grounds...my folks still live there and I went to Piedmont Hills High School and San Jose State...but that was long, long ago, Laughing.gif!
    Cheers!

• kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    count me in
    i hope. this sound like a lot of fun and learning. great idea. thanks andy
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    andy wrote:
    announcing the first in what we hope to have as a continuing series of fun, photography and learning!

the smugmug - dgrin spring shootout at yosemite

when: spring 2005
    where: yosemite national park

anyone can participate, regardless of skill level. and, all ideas welcome! so, who's in?

Sounds way fun, I'm in, providing I'm not already booked on chosen dates, lots of scheduled stuff already. Maybe us SoCal types can carpool?
    Lynne
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    kudbegud wrote:
    i hope. this sound like a lot of fun and learning. great idea. thanks andy

wave.gif welcome to dgrin, kudbegud! looking forward to your contributions to the board here, and to seeing you at yosemite!

cheers
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    I would need to know the Dates planned before I can say in or out. I would love to do it.
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    I'm in,

I'm about a 2 hour drive to Yosemite Valley, I go up about once a month.
    Just pick a date..
    edited December 28, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    You've been very helpful!

Welcome aboard - and Merry Christmas!

Cheers!1drink.gif
    Thanks Nikolai! I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here and especially to the get together in Yosemite this Spring. I've met with a few other online photog friends for photo shoots and it has always been a fun experience (and has led to lifelong friendships as well!)

Wishing you an equally Happy New Year!

• Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2004
    Anymore details on this yet?

I really reallllllllyy want to go I have not been west of the mississippi! Sounds like so much fun! Any idea on how to get a dirt poor newly wed from ohio to cali? Anyone this side of the mississippi drivin out that has a little extra room in the trunk?(well alot of room I am kinda a big boy, its all about the food right)

I have been readin yosemite web site info and it just makes me sick:sick i want to shot it to death(with my camera of course:D )
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2004
    I'd be interested in it. It would be a great chance to photography some great places.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2004
    i'd strongly recommend subscribing to this thread. when i post the info, the first folks that come forward with confirmations ($$$) will be in.

thanks

andy