Options

Schtickers

ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited October 31, 2006 in The Big Picture
hi all - thought I'd share a recent experience with a company called Schtickers...they make these removable/reusable laptop and ipod covers.

I think their product is fabulous! The prints come out crystal clear and the colors are spot on. Their pricing is reasonable too ($24 for a custom image). The laptop covers themselves are strong and seem fairly scratch resistant. They are glossy, but not overly so.

Here is the company site:

http://www.schtickers.com/

I was hesitant as I was sending in photographic images, not graphic art. I'm impressed! I sent in these 2 photos at 300 dpi:

105816954-L.jpg

105816947-L.jpg

the result was amazing! I've swapped between the two, and at a recent conference after I presented I was asked where I got the laptop skin! It was a unique look for sure.

Anyhoot - just another way to share our photography, laptop skins! Since I had a good experience and recommend their product, I thought I'd share it with everyone here.

Maybe with the new smuggy design, laptop covers could be made along with the Cafe Press stuff and sold via eBay Buy It Now? They have bulk discounts from what I understand...

Adrienne

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    Thanks for the info, how about some piccies of them in action on your laptop?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    fotodojofotodojo Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    Wow. I'd be way keen to see some action shots too!
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    ok! sometime this weekend
    'k - I'll try to get them this weekend and post :)

Adrienne
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2006
    Wish I had come up with this invention! Very cool. Would make a great gift and good self-advertising. I see lots of possibilities! Thanks for sharing. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2006
    Schtickers pics
    hiya - per request, here are pics of the Lapschtickers on my laptop.

other details:

1. They are pretty thick and durable. Schticker itself is about as thick as heavy resume paper (but not quite cardstock).
    2. I've peeled them off/on about 5 times each now...still sticky :) This was one of their selling points.
    3. Easy to cut to size. The original size was a touch too large, so I had to measure and trim. I used the piece of cardboard that came with it to test, then measured again on the back and trimmed away. My only complaint thus far is that it wasn't a perfect rectangle...on the blueberries it didn't matter at all. But, for the ocean shot I had to mark on the back where my horizon was, then measure up and down from there so that it would look 'correct' once applied. I've written to them with this complaint.
    4. Next time I get these (which I may do for family Christmas presents!) I'm going to make a template in Photoshop to overlay as a black outline and line up the pic that way in PS, then, when I get them, no measuring...just cutting by the guideline printed on it with my image.

Here are the pics! I like the ocean one better myself...

106764801-O.jpg

106764819-O.jpg

106764812-O.jpg

106764808-O.jpg

:) Adrienne
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    That's really cool. Definitely need to check them out... :cool

(I agree, I like the ocean better for the cover)
    Chris
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    I wish the pod schtickers would fully enclose the iPod. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Thanks for the pictures. Does the adhesive on these seem like something that will be hard to remove after time. Or is it more of a static cling kind of sticky?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2006
    sticky, no klingy
    gluwater wrote:
    Thanks for the pictures. Does the adhesive on these seem like something that will be hard to remove after time. Or is it more of a static cling kind of sticky?

I don't think it will become "permanent" at all...it peels off easily, of course you have to be gentle. It is tacky and sticky, not just a "cling" like a window cling. I don't see it just 'peeling off' either, it's on there. I'm being real careful not to mess up the corners, especially the corner where I start to peel it off if I change it.

They have more info on their site about why it's sticky, but removable.

It's glossy and has a "laminated" somewhat spongy feel to it. I can dent it with my nail, but then rub over it with my thumb and some pressure and work it out like it wasn't there.

Mainly, I wanted a protector for the surface of the laptop in case someday I want to upgrade and sell it used. So, it will save it from scratches.

Adrienne
  • Options
    fotodojofotodojo Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    ajgauthier wrote:
    I don't think it will become "permanent" at all...it peels off easily, of course you have to be gentle. It is tacky and sticky, not just a "cling" like a window cling. I don't see it just 'peeling off' either, it's on there. I'm being real careful not to mess up the corners, especially the corner where I start to peel it off if I change it.

They have more info on their site about why it's sticky, but removable.

It's glossy and has a "laminated" somewhat spongy feel to it. I can dent it with my nail, but then rub over it with my thumb and some pressure and work it out like it wasn't there.

Mainly, I wanted a protector for the surface of the laptop in case someday I want to upgrade and sell it used. So, it will save it from scratches.

Adrienne

That's cool - once this competition is over if anyone wants my entries they may want to print them to schtickers (half the fun of this product must be pronouncing the name out loud =))