Options

76: Inside Out

GranitGranit Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited October 31, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok...Here is what I am up to...

I want to take a picture from the inside of a bottle...

So I did the following:
- Bought a Bottle of San Pellegrino Sparkling Water (1.50$ CAD)
PI41508001S.jpg

-Drank half of it
-Emptied the rest in the bathroom at work.
-Found a Glass Workshop near my work, there was one 2 minutes away :D
-Paid 15$ CAD to have it cut in half :rolleyes. Just above the big label.

I put the half bottle on the lens, add a Red straw and ask my daughter to do as if she would drink with the straw.

And finally took a few test shot this evening...I was set at ISO 800, wanted to do other shots at other setting but my daughter was not too patient this evening.

Here is what I have so far...I need more test, I want to be able to read on the label, have her clear and nice DOP. Maybe play with the final picture a bit.

103369857-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    I love the idea, but the background seems a little distracting, if you could maybe get a different background, maybe outside and have the sky and some better lighting. ne_nau.gif

Cool shot! :photo
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    UT Scott wrote:
    I love the idea, but the background seems a little distracting, if you could maybe get a different background, maybe outside and have the sky and some better lighting. ne_nau.gif

Cool shot! :photo

Yes outside is my plan...But it was rainning and dark when I did this..I hope this weekend will be better.
    I think the hole of the bottle should be in the middle, my daughter more to the left and the label to the right.

I think that the hole should just be pointing at the sky and that she should not look in the bottle, she would be completely being the green glass.

Now I am a very bad director and she is a very bad subject. Bad + bad = Very Difficult headscratch.gif
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    Very good idea. Thinking outside (well maybe inside) the box.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    Great idea but would look better with more bottle side imo, A cut just under the label would be interesting.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    Great idea but would look better with more bottle side imo, A cut just under the label would be interesting.

Yeah I see what your saying...I'll think about it...another 15$ :D
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2006
    This will not be the picture I will submit...But I played with the RAW file and ended up with this.

103405955-L.jpg
  • Options
    athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2006
    i think the concept is fantastic for the challenge. especially one this challenging.

besides the background which you already said you had plans for since this was a practice round - i dont picture little girls drinking san pellegrino with a straw :D.

probably better off with an old-skool cola bottle. that and a background of a blue cloudy sky would be an amazing shot IMO.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    This is a great idea, I agree taken outside would probably be better, cant wait to see what you end up with. This is a tough challenge and you are definately on to something here.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Yeah, I have to agree. It's an awesome idea, but the lighting conditions just don't seem right. Maybe with some bright sunlight coming through it to cause a lens/bottle flare of some type?
  • Options
    Cammie74Cammie74 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 18, 2006
    Hello I'm new here...
    So i'm not sure if I'm posting in the right spot.

I have an entry for challenge 76 and need to know if I can use photo shop for this one.

I have read all the rules, just want to be sure. wave.gif
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    Cammie74 wrote:

I have an entry for challenge 76 and need to know if I can use photo shop for this one.

I made this thread to discuss my idea for the current challenge. You should make another thread if you are looking for an answer from the admin.
    But as far as I can tell YES you can use photoshop, but I am not sure what is the limit. I personnality think that it should be used only to adjust it or for some visual effect, but not to add things to it and not to merge two pics together.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    athos wrote:
    i think the concept is fantastic for the challenge. especially one this challenging.

besides the background which you already said you had plans for since this was a practice round - i dont picture little girls drinking san pellegrino with a straw :D.

probably better off with an old-skool cola bottle. that and a background of a blue cloudy sky would be an amazing shot IMO.

"i dont picture little girls drinking san pellegrino with a straw" - I Agree. But may happen in Italy headscratch.gif
    But Finding an olf-school one is more complicated, they are all plastic now. I could get a small Coke bottle but it would be too small and it is clear, I want a green glass bottle that fits over my lens. Pellegrino is a perfect fit, it goes just a little bit over the hood, easy to hold in place. But I do plan on keeping my eye open for a different bottle...

I will do more test this week and I may end up followinf someone else advise and have another bottle cut below the big label to see more of the bottle.
  • Options
    webwizardwebwizard Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2006
    Maybe without the straw.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    webwizard wrote:
    Maybe without the straw.

I do have this idea with this shot.

-Bottle cut at the bottom (Below big label)
    -Outside
    -Daughter on the right of the bottle with part of the hand on the bottle
    -A tree behind her maybe.
    -Bottle labels to the right.

I have so many ideas...I hope this will work out at the end...Sometimes you just can't get it perfect...I hope my daughter will be patient with me. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 18, 2006
    Interesting idea to cut a bottle in half. Who knew that could be done. I do question weahter or not a green bottle was the best choice. I think I'd have gone brown glass or clear with clear seeming to make more sense. Lightng with this is going to be tricky, as is background. I'd actually look to shoot outside on a sunny day with that bottle. I think the contrast between a very blue sky, the amount of light and perhaps some tree branches behind the face peering in would work well. I might even look at using a CP filter to see if you can bump up the reflections off the inside of the bottle.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 18, 2006
    Cammie74 wrote:

Unless specifically stated in the instructions for a specific challenge you can photoshop to your hearts content.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Interesting idea to cut a bottle in half. Who knew that could be done. I do question weahter or not a green bottle was the best choice. I think I'd have gone brown glass or clear with clear seeming to make more sense. Lightng with this is going to be tricky, as is background. I'd actually look to shoot outside on a sunny day with that bottle. I think the contrast between a very blue sky, the amount of light and perhaps some tree branches behind the face peering in would work well. I might even look at using a CP filter to see if you can bump up the reflections off the inside of the bottle.

He he...I thought about brown glass...
    I want to include my daughter on this picture....Brown glass noramlly = BEER.
    Now Athos mentionned that a little girl drinking San Pellegrino with a straw is not something that someone would expect....Well I had the same thought in mind when I thought about a brown Glass... BEER and little girl....eek7.gif

I would have to set the scene somewhere else...Like a Bar....I do have a friend that has a restaurant/Bar/Lounge...I could do this with a bottle of liquor, maybe a Jack Daniels :).
    It would require more work but I could do this....Not sure I can pull this off in time for the end of the challenge.

I did think of many things, but I have to do compromises to meet the challenge deadline.:nah
  • Options
    cdhamescdhames Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    maybe try it darker, get the focus more on the bottle opening. punch the opening through some black cardboard maybe.
    SM Page: cdhames.smugmug.com
    Referral: ( wXtCbmTTvmJSE )
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2006
    I looked for different bottles.....

Found a blue one, it was nice but it is hard to see throught it, and the brand is local does't mean anything to anyone...even me. eek7.gif
    Found some root beer bottles, brown, like a beer, but still not what I am looking for. BEER and kid...nah...

So I bought another Pellegrino bottle to be cut near the bottom and also a small Sprite glass bottle...green again. This one might be more "realistic" in the hands of a 6 years old. Plus the logo is printed on the bottle, not a label, should look good from inside.

I'm planning a photo shoot this weekend at the park with my daughter.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    I think your idea is brilliant
    Can't wait to see what you come up with. Very creative!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    Granit,
    Awesome idea! thumb.gif
    But next time use the 2L plastic soda bottles - they are easier (and cheaper) to cut while delivering identical impressionrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2006
    Plastic does not look as good as glass, less distortion.

No photo shoot this weekend...Weather was crappy plus I didn't get the 2x other bottles cut in time.

I am noe afraid that I will not be able to provise this in time....I may have to settle for a shot in the house instead of outside.
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    aww... that sucks...

Hopefully it works out for you... it really is an awesome idea!

Ben
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    I got my 2 other bottles now.

The Sprite bottle is too small and I see almost nothing from inside...I have other idea for it....for another project.

Yesterday was the first day with some sunshine in the last 2 weeks !!!
    I took a few shots in front of my house with my daughter.

I will take a few again today when I am back from work.

This weekend is under the rain again....So I will have to pick a picture from yesterday or today.

I don't think I'll come up with what I have in mind....but stangely I had fun just preparing and thinking about that shot.
  • Options
    nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    great idea. good luck!
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    Ok I think this is it....I won't have any more time to try stuff out and my daughter is really not a good subject for this.

I hesitate between these two.

I was able to take only 10 shots of her.

I'll have the weekend to see if I can come up with another idea with the bottle.

105805408-L.jpg

105800783-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2006
    I'm also thinking about playing with this idea...This was a test shot made at work, backgroud sucks and I actually moved during the shot.
    But they were made just to brain storm while looking at them.

Since both bottle have their bottom cut I can put the big one over the small one. But I could put anything inside that bottle beside another bottle...I'm thinking about something original to put inside.

105802955-M.jpg

105803013-M.jpg
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2006
    holy schnikes that's great!
    go with this one....the colors are amazing, very well executed, the blue sky certainly adds dimension, just fantastic clap.gifclapclap.gif

105805408-L.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    AikenAiken Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2006
    105805408-L.jpg

Wow, That is fantastic, love the orange and green :) I'd go with that one...

really inventive idea, and great to see the progression of the work !! clap.gif

Rob

Rob
    www.aiken.smugmug.com
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    Awesome!!!!! LOVE IT!!!

clap.gif