Options

smugmug new features - 12/15/04

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
edited December 23, 2004 in SmugMug Support
New features went out just a few minutes ago. There are tons of small changes, but there's at least one important one you'll want to know about:

Galleries can now be auto-sorted on-the-fly based on your preferences. You can flag each gallery to sort differently, and use a variety of methods: Position (this is what smugmug has always used), Caption, Filename, Date uploaded, Date Taken, and Date Modified. You can then tell it whether to sort them in ascending or descending order.

Note that not all cameras/software packages properly set Date Taken and Date Modified, so your mileage may vary. Also, the first 10,000,000 photos or so on smugmug don't have Date Taken, even if it was set properly, though we do have plans to re-acquire that data in the future.

Other changes include a tweak to our blue and red colors to make them more readable. There are a few places where it's still not perfect, so we'll continue to adjust accordingly.

We should also see a (small) performance increase on image manipulation, particularly on large batches of color effects, watermarks, rotation, etc.

There are lots of others, too, but they're small and too numerous for me to remember.

I imagine this will be the last major feature addition until the New Year, so Happy Holidays! Enjoy!

Don

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    Excellent work Onethumb. This is why I recommend smugmug to people all the time.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    Thank you very much!
    I guess we'll find out what these and other features are:-).
    And, to keep my initial promise, if it does not work, I 'd be the first to bitch about it - right here:-)

PS
    Does it mean gallery-handling API methods are also updated? If not - any ETA on that?

Thanksthumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    onethumb wrote:
    Galleries can now be auto-sorted on-the-fly based on your preferences. You can flag each gallery to sort differently, and use a variety of methods: Position (this is what smugmug has always used), Caption, Filename, Date uploaded, Date Taken, and Date Modified. You can then tell it whether to sort them in ascending or descending order.

Note that not all cameras/software packages properly set Date Taken and Date Modified, so your mileage may vary. Also, the first 10,000,000 photos or so on smugmug don't have Date Taken, even if it was set properly, though we do have plans to re-acquire that data in the future.

I should mention, too, that this completely removes the necessity of the 'Sort Photos' tool, so it's been removed. The three 'Arrange Photos' tools all still function if your gallery is set to 'Position', but otherwise, has no effect. They intelligently warn you about it if your gallery is mis-configured.

Don
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    onethumb wrote:
    I should mention, too, that this completely removes the necessity of the 'Sort Photos' tool, so it's been removed. The three 'Arrange Photos' tools all still function if your gallery is set to 'Position', but otherwise, has no effect. They intelligently warn you about it if your gallery is mis-configured.

Don

It's amazing, it's as if you guys spend part of your time in my mind-tapping my unvocalized pro "wish list". Thanks! bowdown.gif