Options

A new cake has arrived :D Food photography can be such a pain in the...

B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
edited October 5, 2006 in Holy Macro
Would you sell this image? I like it, but talking with a pro friend, he told me I should be more careful when selling photos of food, because a bad work can affect my photo career in a very negative way, what do you think about this?
Food photography is such an art, and you play human psiquis, good.

C & C Welcome.

IMG_2958 resized.jpg

Byron M.
"... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth

Comments

• Options
    B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2006
    I was going to be posting this on Other Cool Shots or maybe in Technique, but I can't switch it from forums, how do I do this?
    "... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth
  • Options
    ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    I think with a cake like this that has an odd texture, it'd be better to see the inside of it, like a slice instead of the whole thing. It's not a bad shot at all, it's just not as interesting as some of the things you've done, and it's not instantly obvious what it is.

Fred.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    B:// wrote:
    I was going to be posting this on Other Cool Shots or maybe in Technique, but I can't switch it from forums, how do I do this?

You request a mod to do it for you. We have a thread for it in dgrin support, "Place Requests to Mods Here."

Anyway, I moved it. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    B:// wrote:
    Would you sell this image? I like it, but talking with a pro friend, he told me I should be more careful when selling photos of food, because a bad work can affect my photo career in a very negative way, what do you think about this?
    Food photography is such an art, and you play human psiquis, good.

C & C Welcome.
    Byron M.

The image itself is fine, but I too would like to see a cut away section to see what it's like inside.....what kind of a cake is that???
    ..... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    It's a small image and difficult to see on my monitor. I'm not crazy about the DOF. The focus seems to be on the top center of the cake and the part closest seems fuzzy. May not be that way in your original, I don't know. It's not a bad shot, but if you are hesitant about it at all, then I would agree with your friend and at least re-shoot it.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    Nice shot loved it nice taste
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I'm not crazy about the DOF. The focus seems to be on the top center of the cake and the part closest seems fuzzy.

I have to agree - the DoF seems too shallow here, I also like the idea of a piece cut out (and sent to me for taste testing).

I can't really tell what that item is in the background - it looks like a piece of the cake, but with it so out of focus, I think I would rather not have that element in the photo.
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    I shoot more cakes than I do anything else, and I am horrible at it!
    My wife is a professional cake maker.

The only thing that makes me more angry than photographing them is delivering them. That is horrible too.

Here's my cake gallery, hopefully it will help someone:
    http://dugmar.smugmug.com/gallery/397956