Options

Making a custom diffusion for groups

Kelowna PicmanKelowna Picman Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited January 13, 2009 in Technique
As a wedding photographer one of my biggest challenges is, and I assume always will be, shooting groups on a bright sunny day. I shoot sometimes using my 580ex for fill flash, but find it lacking on brighter days where there are larger groups (10 or more). When I do use fill flash, I often get a shot that "looks" like flash was used (and I don't like the look), so I look for shade. and finding enough of that is very hit and miss...

Which brings me to my topic...

I am considering making my own custom diffusion/ reflector set up seen recently in this photograph http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=386126#post386126. The set up I want to construct would be smaller in scale, or course, but exactly the same idea; soft, natural light I can set up "anywhere". My idea was to make it out of PVC pipe and joiners in a "quick set up and take down" fashion. However, the trick is get the right type of diffusion/ reflector material. I would like something washable, if possible...

Comments? Thoughts? Ideas...All are what I'm after...:thumb
A picture is worth a thousands words...

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,828 moderator
    edited September 20, 2006
    As a wedding photographer one of my biggest challenges is, and I assume always will be, shooting groups on a bright sunny day. I shoot sometimes using my 580ex for fill flash, but find it lacking on brighter days where there are larger groups (10 or more). When I do use fill flash, I often get a shot that "looks" like flash was used (and I don't like the look), so I look for shade. and finding enough of that is very hit and miss...

I am considering making my own custom diffusion/ reflector set up seen recently in this photograph http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=386126#post386126. The set up I want to construct would be smaller in scale, or course, but exactly the same idea; soft, natural light I can set up "anywhere". My idea was to make it out of PVC pipe and joiners in a "quick set up and take down" fashion. However, the trick is get the right type of diffusion/ reflector material. I would like something washable, if possible...

Comments? Thoughts? Ideas...All are what I'm after...thumb.gif

I thought about doing this as well, but remember, there are several problems to contend with.

1) Positioning. These are fairly directional devices, and need to be aimed. You need to employ someone, or even a couple of someones, in order to use it properly, and they need to understand how, and why, it's used.

2) Wind. These are basically sails and even the slightest wind can throw them around. Again, you need people to keep the device steady and aimed. Sometimes, it's just not possible because of the wind to use these at all. (Of course, hair and clothing are also a problem then, so you might not be outside anyway.)

3) Time of day. If the sun is too far overhead, these panels are best used overhead as diffusors. If you think controlling them from the ground is not too bad, overhead suspension is just a pain.

I decided the best thing to do is what many others are already doing, and that is to use multiple flash units. The ability to provide controllable light is extremely important, and I think the combination of relatively compact monolights, when you have acess to AC power, and slaved compact electronic flash, when you can't rely on AC power, is the best way to go.

You have tremendous diversity in the use of umbrellas, when appropriate, or even softboxes with the monolights. This is also one area where a digicam may be more valuable, because you can sync at much higher shutter speeds (usually).

If you still want to build framed reflector/diffusors, rip-stop nylon is said to be a good choice. (Brian is pretty amazing.)

http://www.diyphotography.net/homestudio/blz/soft-light-panel-frame

The absolute best is a Dacron polyester used for sail cloth. Watch for versions that have brighteners added, because they may add a bluish tint to the light.

http://www.sailcloth.com/
    http://www.dimension-polyant.com/e_docs/home/home_fr.htm
    http://www.challengesailcloth.com/

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    I don't see them as practical, the setup time would be too long. Too much weight to carry around, etc. You have to remember the wind. You have to have a way of anchoring the silks and reflectors to the ground, and that gets heavy quick (sand bags, etc).

Instead, you may want to consider using multiple off camera flash. In the spring of this year, I had to shoot in a park with noonish type sun. So I used two lights to brighten the shadows and lesson its contrast:

shoener225.jpg

I was able to setup and tear down quickly as well as walk the stuff in and out without breaking a sweat :-)
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Ziggy:

Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I wanted. I may just go to using both lighting solutions, because I don't want to be confined to just one. This information will help, thanks.

I was also looking at the monolight solution, as well due to the fact that I already have 2 unbrella set ups. All I need to pick up are 2 monolights with transmitters, and I'll be set, hopefully.

I think I might just also stick to shooting smaller groups, as a rule. Unless I have the environment that lends to shooting a larger group.

All Ideas I'm toying with...thumb.gif
  • Options
    SS:

What did you use for lights, did you use umbrellas, and where, in position to the sun, did you set them up?

I have tried something similar, but with mixed results, so if use this solution, I need to tune my technique.thumb.gif
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    What did you use for lights
    2 - Sunpak 555 flash units
    did you use umbrellas
    no, just straight flash, umbrellas eat a fair amount of light, and on a bright sunny day, I needed all the light I could squeez out. I used two flashes to get enough brightness and also to try and get more coverage.
    and where, in position to the sun, did you set them up?
    The lights were at camera left, the sun was camera right, so the flash was maybe 45 degrees and the sun was about 45 degrees, or as near as I could get it. I was basically trying to avoid flat lighting the group.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins

Comments? Thoughts? Ideas...All are what I'm after...thumb.gif

I've experimented with this and the PVC turns out to be waaaaay too flexible. Smaller scale use of electrical conduit is an alternative.
  • Options
    nathan3011nathan3011 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 13, 2009
    Hi Guys,

I've been harassed and harangued (kidding) into getting married later this year in July/August but i've had quite a few people saying that it will be quite hard to find a good photographer because of the fact that it is harder to take good pictures when it is bright sunshine (i know most will have gone by now anyway where we are leaving it late)

I just wondered if Builder Liability Insurance is something you think about before agreeing to photograph a wedding at all??

Thanks
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 13, 2009
    Translucent panels are made by California SunBounce among others. They work well, but are not inexpensive, unfortunately.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,828 moderator
    edited January 13, 2009
    nathan3011 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I've been harassed and harangued (kidding) into getting married later this year in July/August but i've had quite a few people saying that it will be quite hard to find a good photographer because of the fact that it is harder to take good pictures when it is bright sunshine (i know most will have gone by now anyway where we are leaving it late)

I just wondered if that is something you think about before agreeing to photograph a wedding at all??

Thanks

Any good wedding photographer should be familiar with handling all sorts of lighting conditions. It would be a good idea to ask for samples of photos taken under the conditions you anticipate.

White "European" design tents are often a great way to both protect your guests from excess sunlight as well as provide the photographer with a better environment for shooting.

This is what I mean of the tent:

454317442_yFJXE-O.jpg

454317350_eW3BQ-O.jpg

(These are some snaps I took prior to a rehearsal in 2007.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 13, 2009
    Those tents are white, but the lighting is green.

One would be well advised to take the time to make a custom white balance when shooting in tents like these. DAMHIKthumb.gif

I am sure Ziggy already knows this too:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin