Options

FTP Photos to an Account?

charlesscharless Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited September 16, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hello,
Is it possible to FTP photos to my account? The current upload tools do not work for me (the java tool times out every time, and the Send to SmugMug tool only uploads 80% of my photos for some reason).
Thanks,
Charles

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited September 15, 2006
    Hi Charless,

Ouch, I'm sorry you're having trouble uploading, but thanks for letting us know about this. We don't offer FTP uploads, unfortunately, but hopefully we can help.

It sounds like you've tried at least two upload methods and from the sound of it you're having trouble maintaining a clean connection to us (which would happen with FTP as well).

Just to check, can you tell me what size and type of photos you're uploading? I'm just making sure they are below the 8 MB limit (for standard and power accounts) or 16 MB for pros (and 48 megapixels).

Is your connection wireless? Is there some interference on the connection from wireless handsets, etc.?

Here are two checks you can do:

1. The SmugMug speed test. Can you post the results?

2. The line quality test from DSLreports. It's free but you have to register. If you can point me the results for this, it would be great.

Thanks!
    Chris
  • Options
    Baldy wrote:
    Hi Charless,

Ouch, I'm sorry you're having trouble uploading, but thanks for letting us know about this. We don't offer FTP uploads, unfortunately, but hopefully we can help.

It sounds like you've tried at least two upload methods and from the sound of it you're having trouble maintaining a clean connection to us (which would happen with FTP as well).

Just to check, can you tell me what size and type of photos you're uploading? I'm just making sure they are below the 8 MB limit (for standard and power accounts) or 16 MB for pros (and 48 megapixels).

Is your connection wireless? Is there some interference on the connection from wireless handsets, etc.?

Here are two checks you can do:

1. The SmugMug speed test. Can you post the results?

2. The line quality test from DSLreports. It's free but you have to register. If you can point me the results for this, it would be great.

Thanks!
    Chris
    Whoops. The speed test just expired. The line quality test, however, is the most important one.
  • Options
    CammoCammo Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    charless wrote:
    Hello,
    Is it possible to FTP photos to my account? The current upload tools do not work for me (the java tool times out every time, and the Send to SmugMug tool only uploads 80% of my photos for some reason).
    Thanks,
    Charles

I would STRONGLY recommend StarExplorer. It is faultless (well, at least I have found it faultless!), and makes keeping your galleries in order a breeze...

Cammo
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Baldy wrote:
    Whoops. The speed test just expired. The line quality test, however, is the most important one.
    Update: Can use

http://www.speedtest.net and choose the San Jose CA location (just below San Francisco)....
  • Options
    Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for your help.

My photos are 6 megapixel photos that are between 4mb and 5.5mb in size. I do use a wireless connection, but it is generally quite good.

My speed test results are: 610 kbps download, and 463 kbps upload.

I did a line quality test at DSLreports, and the results are here: http://www.dslreports.com/quality/nil/2090737

Thanks,
    Charles
  • Options
    Hi Charless,

Well, the bad news is your connection fails the test to the West Coast, where our servers are. Here's the scoop:

95556823-O.gif

Anything over 2% packet loss is bad and for some reason right now you're experiencing up to 35%... It's really hard to hold a continuous connection for a multi-megabyte transfer when 1/3rd of the bits are not getting to us.

Just to clarify, this is to the servers DSLreports use for the test, which are close to ours. It's not exactly to ours but this result does not surprise me given your description of the problem.

Since you get through to the East Coast fine, I suspect your Internet Service Provider is having some sort of routing issue at the moment. You can call them, show them this test result and ask what's up.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

All the best,
    Baldy
  • Options
    That does not sound good. I use Time Warner Cable Road Runner service in NYC, and I'm surprised that such a large company has such a bad connection to the west coast. Oh well, hopefully this will get resolved soon.

Do you think this is a temporary problem?
  • Options
    charless wrote:
    That does not sound good. I use Time Warner Cable Road Runner service in NYC, and I'm surprised that such a large company has such a bad connection to the west coast. Oh well, hopefully this will get resolved soon.

Do you think this is a temporary problem?
    My bet is that it is. I don't know if Level 3, who they are routing through, is having some glitch or what, but I bet the problem goes away.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2006
    Cammo wrote:
    I would STRONGLY recommend StarExplorer. It is faultless (well, at least I have found it faultless!), and makes keeping your galleries in order a breeze...

Cammo

Thanks Cammo,
    I will give this a try.