Contest: Show us how to flaunt it!

BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
edited November 4, 2006 in The Big Picture
Several years ago, we made a cafepress store for SmugMug gear. We primarily built it for employees and family, but quickly discovered that a lot of our customers were buying items to wear. (For clarification, we don't make any profit from those. We offer them so everyone can flaunt their love of SmugMug!)

So whats the problem with that?

The problem is that our logos and designs are old and busted. The logos are our old logos (boring and grey), and we don't have any clever designs. You all keep us so busy with feature requests that we haven't been able to create new gear.

We figured the best way to get some really awesome gear is to tap the deep pool of talent here on Dgrin, and we are prepared to reward the efforts handsomely.

Okay, so lets cut to the chase and outline the details. A good place to start is to check out our existing store, full of our existing (boring) merchandise:
http://www.cafepress.com/smugmug

Then you can check out the entire CafePress catalog here:
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/

We are primarily looking for apparel (both kids and adults!), but we are always open to creative ideas. :D

So whats in it for you?
Phat lewtz of course.

Grand Prize:
A brand spankin' new, sexy Canon EOS 30D with kit lens. (Yes, we are serious)

Second Prize:
1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo Mac Mini (brand new, we didn't let Andy get his grubby hands on it first!)

Third Prize:
Adobe Photoshop CS2 (it's about time your photos got the attention they deserve)

Honorable Mention (choice of one of any of the following):

The brand new, redesigned iPod Shuffle (You know you want one.)

Pantone Huey Colorimeter (to make sure that monitor looks JUST right)

Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home Photo Bag (to coddle your camera)

How do you submit, and how do we choose?

Simply fire me an email to "ben at smugmug dot com" with your submission. You can send me a link to a SmugMug gallery with the images in it, or you can even create your own CafePress store so you can display them on the product.

We simply choose based on the ones we like the best. The submissions will be passed around the office here, and we will vote for the best.

How many prizes will there be?

There is only one grand prize, one second prize, and one third prize. But don't worry, there is no limit to the number of "Honorable Mentions" we can choose! An Honorable Mention is any design that didn't win one of the top 3 prizes, but that we still think is awesome enough to offer in the store.

The grand prize (and subsequent prizes) is reserved for a design we will actually use. If no designs are submitted that we plan to use, no prizes will be awarded. Based on the talent here on Dgrin, I am sure that won't be an issue!

Who can enter?

If you are reading this (and are not an employee of SmugMug or family member of an employee of SmugMug), you can enter. By entering the contest, you give us permission to use that design (you will be rewarded of course!).

When is the Deadline?

The official deadline is October 30th. Winners will be announced on Halloween. Trick or Treat!

Questions?

ben at smugmug dot com

Smug since 2003

Comments

• AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2006
    I want in!
    clap.gif

Can employees enter? rolleyes1.gif

-Anne
  • BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    clap.gif

Can employees enter? rolleyes1.gif

-Anne

good point. I edited to make it clear employees can't enter. rolleyes1.gif
    Smug since 2003
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    Ben wrote:
    Second Prize:
    1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo Mac Mini (brand new, we didn't let Andy get his grubby hands on it first!)

Executive override: We'll be buying the 1.83GHz Core Duo for the Second Prize winner, not the gimpy 1.66GHz box.

Don
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2006
    Wow, that kicks bootay!

IMHO you should be going through Zazzle, but that's besides the point :D
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    Ben wrote:
    The problem is that our logos and designs are old and busted. The logos are our old logos (boring and grey), and we don't have any clever designs.

We are primarily looking for apparel (both kids and adults!), but we are always open to creative ideas. :D

Sooooo looking at the above 2 lines ben............is that a new logo for your procucts or do you want or a new line of apparel (clothes) thought of & suggested headscratch.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    gus wrote:
    Sooooo looking at the above 2 lines ben............is that a new logo for your procucts or do you want or a new line of apparel (clothes) thought of & suggested headscratch.gif
    My question, too.

This is a competition to submit a new logo design for smugmug?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    If someone wins 1st prize, can they choose the computer rather than the camera?

Not that this is likely to be an issue for me, just askin':):
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    wxwax wrote:
    My question, too.

This is a competition to submit a new logo design for smugmug?

I am in also!!!!!!clap.gif

but like the question above is this contest for a new smugmug logo?
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
    Sorry, to clarify... the contest is NOT for a new smugmug logo in general. We quite like our logo, and plan to keep using it. The contest is designed to create cool new apparel for smugmug, preferrably USING the logo in some way. :D

I had a question via email about proper use of the logo, and I think Themes are a good example. We don't mind if you get creative with the logo, as long as it still is undeniably our logo... and looks awesome.

That clear it up?
    Smug since 2003
    Justiceiro wrote:
    If someone wins 1st prize, can they choose the computer rather than the camera?

Not that this is likely to be an issue for me, just askin':):

Something like that can probably be arranged. thumb.gif
    Smug since 2003
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    Oh, this is cool!
    Let me put my thinking cap on!

Can you clue us all in and tell us exactly what is being bought by smugmuggers who are not employees?

That would help in directing our design efforts.

No use designing underwear if no one's buying any, for example... :-)
    Dee wrote:
    Let me put my thinking cap on!

Can you clue us all in and tell us exactly what is being bought by smugmuggers who are not employees?

That would help in directing our design efforts.

No use designing underwear if no one's buying any, for example... :-)

I will see if I can get actual numbers from Don, who I believe set up the store initially.

Shirts and Sweatshirts are obvious targets, as those are pretty popular. As a lot of you know, our "red hats" are very popular as well. We don't get those through CafePress (we don't particularly like their hats), but hat designs are definitely welcome as well. We will probably just get them made somewhere else.

Here is a shot of the red hat so you know what I am talking about:
    84518377-M.jpg

It has the smugmug logo (with smuggy) on front, and www.smugmug.com on the back. Pretty straightforward currently.
    Smug since 2003
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    Thanks Ben
    for the clarification -- and I love the photo too!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2006
    bump
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2006
    Ben wrote:
    The contest is designed to create cool new apparel for smugmug, preferrably USING the logo in some way. :D

That clear it up?

Clear as mud mate. Sorry i cant design apparel headscratch.gif
    edited September 19, 2006
    bump, to make sure it doesn't get forgotten!
    Smug since 2003
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2006
    headscratch.gif :ivar wings.gif
    Ok i am confused what logo it should be photo or something else it should be a jpg file or something else headscratch.gif how big Jpg
    i want to edit my photo headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited September 21, 2006
    headscratch.gif :ivar wings.gif
    Ok i am confused what logo it should be photo or something else it should be a jpg file or something else headscratch.gif how big Jpg
    i want to edit my photo headscratch.gif

Hi Awais,

It can indeed be a photo, or it can be something else. We had wildly popular mugs a while back that had a really amazing shot (contributed by Dgrinners), a quote about photography, and our logo. We gave those out at some conferences, etc... and people loved them. So a shot that highlights that we are a photo site could work if done right.

Also, for everyone else... just to be clear, you can enter as many times as you want. So you can go for the shotgun approach if you are having trouble coming up with that perfect design. :)

-Ben
    Smug since 2003
  • HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    I really NEED a camera. So I'll be entering this contest as many times as I can.:D

Just for further clarification, are you looking for submissions that are one product at a time, or would you rather see a complete product line up (such as a complete CP store) as one submission?

Thanks, and you guys rawk! clap.gif

My wife and I will be setting up a smugmug pro account soon. We are but children in the photography-as-a-business world but we are learning fast. Saving the coin for a pro account is going slowly but going none-the-less.
    HiSPL wrote:
    Just for further clarification, are you looking for submissions that are one product at a time, or would you rather see a complete product line up (such as a complete CP store) as one submission?

Thats a good question. I don't think we prefer one over the other, if for no other reason than the winning product design might ONLY work for a t-shirt, or only for a hat. But if it is a truly stellar design, then we would prefer it over a lesser design that can work on every type of product. Make sense?
    Smug since 2003
  • HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    'k

I am having ideas that would work for specific products. More like different layouts of your current logo than anything else. I think I'll submit individually then.....

thumb.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    Not to be rude, but the smugmug logo would fit very nicely across the ass of shorts and underwear. Seems to be popular with the young 'uns these days.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2006
    I may enter this. Is there a place where we can get different versions of your logo? For example a Hi-Rez TIFF file and/or WMF(vector file)?? Or is it just off your site as a low-rez Jpeg?

You can PM it to me.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2006
    wildviper wrote:
    I may enter this. Is there a place where we can get different versions of your logo? For example a Hi-Rez TIFF file and/or WMF(vector file)?? Or is it just off your site as a low-rez Jpeg?

You can PM it to me.
    You can just make it yourself :)
    it's comic sans font and the smuggy face is colon-D turned 90degs clockwise :D
  • DanielaDaniela Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 25, 2006
    rolleyes1.gif

So much for that expensive graphic designer!
    That's hilarious!lol3.gif
  • DernoDerno Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    ill definately be entering this!, i have a few ideas for this. by the way. im new here, great forums! My name is Harrison Miracle, i don't know where else to post my "hi im new" thread, so ill just do it here! haha
    http://www.derno.net
    Canon Rebel XT
    Hello Harrison welcome to the forum
    i am also doing everything to get that .....
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited September 26, 2006
    a question : how many designs can we enter? cause i have roughly 12-16 designs ready and i was wondering if i could submit them all? i understand i cant get like first second and third or a bunch of honorable mentions, i just like to present people with a variety to choose from
    Canon Rebel XT
    edited September 27, 2006
    Derno wrote:
    a question : how many designs can we enter? cause i have roughly 12-16 designs ready and i was wondering if i could submit them all? i understand i cant get like first second and third or a bunch of honorable mentions, i just like to present people with a variety to choose from

I think unlimited headscratch.gif

My Gallery
    edited September 27, 2006
    heres some of my designs so far, but i still got a month to go
    CLICK PICTURE FOR CLOSER LOOK

smugmugdesignssmall.gif

whatcha think so far, i know a few are weird / young styled but i mean, im 18 and i love random placement of designs on shirts
    Canon Rebel XT