Options

9/14/06 Maintenance Alert - Network Upgrades

WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
edited September 16, 2006 in SmugMug Support
We will be upgrading network components during the Thursday night 9/14/06 Thursday maintenance window (11:00pm to 04:00am PDT). There will be a period in which the entire SmugMug site will be unavailable.

Specifically, we will be removing our old Load Balancer and replacing it with a new solution. While we believe this will take a minimal amount of downtime to cut over, we may need several attempts to ensure success.

I will make updates to this thread when we start and finish. This outage should not impact DGrin.

Thanks for your patience, and sorry in advance for any inconvenience.

Comments

• Options
    RKeatonRKeaton Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2006
    Wireless wrote:
    We will be upgrading network components during the Thursday night 9/14/06 Thursday maintenance window (11:00pm to 04:00am PDT). There will be a period in which the entire SmugMug site will be unavailable.

Specifically, we will be removing our old Load Balancer and replacing it with a new solution. While we believe this will take a minimal amount of downtime to cut over, we may need several attempts to ensure success.

I will make updates to this thread when we start and finish. This outage should not impact DGrin.

Hey, now that wasn't so hard, was it??? :): :): :):
  • Options
    ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    Wireless wrote:

Now that is what I am talking about. A little heads up iloveyou.gif Still would prefer the e-mail but this is certainly much better clap.gif
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Now that is what I am talking about. A little heads up iloveyou.gif Still would prefer the e-mail but this is certainly much better clap.gif
    Also see your SmugMug messages, in your control panel :D
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    one step in the right direction... emails? :D
  • Options
    RKeatonRKeaton Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    Yes, I saw it in my Control Panel...that's why I was commenting. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Cool. Thanks.
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    Saw the message first thing this (control panel) AM!!! Nice going to the Smugmug crewthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    cool
    Andy wrote:

Just saw this message in my control panel and sure do appreciate the head's up. I love the way SM actually listens to us! Thank you. thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    Bump
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Thank you SOOO much for adding this new feature!!! (Letting us know what's going on, that is!)

Wow... A company that actually listens to the users/customers. Imagine that! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2006
    Bump
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    A email would be great, but I can see how that may not be a desirable thing in the eyes of the Smugmug owners (increase cost/time?) - a message in the control panel may go by un noticed...

but...

I DID see it, and I was happy that we got a message warning us of any disruption of service even temperarely (yes I know, I cant spell to save my live).

Thanks Smugmug - as mentioned, it's a step forward. It's little things like this that help make Smugmug a better choice - actaully listening to its customers, and even implementing ideas/suggestions from us (ok, not ME, but 'us' in general).

Having that warning allows me a chance to place a warning on my site to let people know that there will be a disruption, and it saves ME from having a heart attack wondering what's happening.

Derek
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    ZotzZotz Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    Load balancer
    Wireless wrote:
    Specifically, we will be removing our old Load Balancer and replacing it with a new solution.
    If you don't mind the question, what load balancer(s) are you retiring and which are you installing? Our LANs and WAN are built with hundreds of Cisco boxes, but Foundry boxes do the SLB in our data centers.

Just curious...

Rick -Z-
    Rick -Z-
    Zotz Shots
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2006
    Bump
  • Options
    Maintenance begins!
    Here we go folks. :)

I'll update here when I'm done.
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    Aaaaaaaaargh! I was two seconds away from saving my script when it locked out. The horror!

That does it, no cookie for you wireless rolleyes1.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    Wireless wrote:
    Here we go folks. :)

I'll update here when I'm done.

Johnny on the spot... right at 11pm :D good luck
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    Wireless wrote:

Oops! It looks like it did have an effect on dgrin for a few minutes. Something about the database being unavailable... Glad it's back now... I was having withdrawal issues...
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    jmpsmashjmpsmash Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    BeachBill wrote:
    Oops! It looks like it did have an effect on dgrin for a few minutes. Something about the database being unavailable... Glad it's back now... I was having withdrawal issues...

i was able to get to my page for 5 secs. then i got a maintainance in progress message... tick.. tick.. tick..
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    Well it is locked down tight now. Figures that I'd do some stuff I'd procrastinated on, and now that the edits are made I'm racing to shove the stuff up to the site. headscratch.gif 1:18 and still down. I yield.
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    Oh alright, I guess it would be cruel for you to do your work on an empty stomach. Here, have a cookie thumb.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=13710&stc=1&d=1152558860
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    OMG. have they finished the upgrade?
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    jmpsmash wrote:
    OMG. have they finished the upgrade?
    Hi JPM, we are still working on it. As soon as we are finished, information will be posted here!
  • Options
    jz_berkowitzjz_berkowitz Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    please email
    Really need to email these things... I just spent an hour copying my photos to a computer in an internet cafe (they had some USB issues I had to deal with) only to find out I cant upload, and then waited some time. Its been longer than an hour, can't upload, and I have to get moving.

As I am a new user I am sure that I am not accustomed to past difficulties, but in the name of people who use this as a way to manage photos while they travel, please email ahead of time.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Really need to email these things... I just spent an hour copying my photos to a computer in an internet cafe (they had some USB issues I had to deal with) only to find out I cant upload, and then waited some time. Its been longer than an hour, can't upload, and I have to get moving.

As I am a new user I am sure that I am not accustomed to past difficulties, but in the name of people who use this as a way to manage photos while they travel, please email ahead of time.
    Hi JZ, and welcome to dgrin! wave.gif

I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience! Notification had been put up here on dgrin, and in your control panel. We are looking into other ways of notification aswell.
  • Options
    Update
    We had some, uh, networking fubars during the process (amazingly not related to the new load balancers, which appear to be smoking fast right now). Unfortunately those incredibly dense pieces of hardware that sit right in between the keyboard and chair don't always transfer commands correctly.

We think things are back, but keep in mind we're still in maintenance window, and reserve the right to shut down again if we need to adjust/fix/etc. I'll post an all clear once we believe everything is stable and happy.
  • Options
    ivar wrote:
    Hi JZ, and welcome to dgrin! wave.gif

I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience! Notification had been put up here on dgrin, and in your control panel. We are looking into other ways of notification aswell.

the control panel thing is nice. but i think most users will prefer email. most other services notify via email anyway.

also, not every one logs into their smugmug account everyday (they should! ;) )
  • Options
    Wireless wrote:
    We had some, uh, networking fubars during the process (amazingly not related to the new load balancers, which appear to be smoking fast right now).

sweet. uploading my pics now. :D