Options

happy hannukah

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited December 15, 2004 in People
from the hand of a 10-year old, the story of hannukah many gentiles don't know why hannukah is celebrated, i certainly didn't until my dw explained it to me :D

and so, to everyone, happy hannukah - a time of celebration, and rejoicing. the extension of the season of thanksgiving, and a great way to get into that "holiday" spirit!

my boy looks forward to lighting the candles each night
12437612-L.jpg

enjoy (holiday season) photography

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2004
    That is a wonderful picture, Andy.

Happy Hanukkah, all.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2004
    Beautiful shot Andy! Happy Chanukka everyone!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    That is a wonderful picture, Andy.

Happy Hanukkah, all.

ginger

thanks so much, ginger!

potato latkes for dinner tonight, mmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2004
    Happy Hanukkah everyone for those who are Jewish and those who are not..clap.gif1drink.gif (lovely picture Andy)
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2004
    Happy Hanukkah
    I suck as a photographer...

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2004
    Andy, I've thought about this picture quite a few times since I first saw it. That doesn't happen that often, so it shows how effective the image is. In my memory, the background was black and completely nonintrusive. I revisited this thread to ask the technical question, how did you accomplish that?

But now I see that my memory fooled me. In fact the background is there and if I look hard it's kind of distracting and ugly. But the composition is so good and the subject so strong that the background fades in memory and isn't a distraction unless I make a conscious effort to look for it.

So this is a tour de force of good composition. Still, I'm interested in the lighting details. Was it completely available light (looks it)? Did you have to fuss with the room lamps? Where you thinking about that? Did you see the metal vase in the background and make some sort of decision about it when you shot?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Andy, I've thought about this picture quite a few times since I first saw it. That doesn't happen that often, so it shows how effective the image is. In my memory, the background was black and completely nonintrusive. I revisited this thread to ask the technical question, how did you accomplish that?

But now I see that my memory fooled me. In fact the background is there and if I look hard it's kind of distracting and ugly. But the composition is so good and the subject so strong that the background fades in memory and isn't a distraction unless I make a conscious effort to look for it.

So this is a tour de force of good composition. Still, I'm interested in the lighting details. Was it completely available light (looks it)? Did you have to fuss with the room lamps? Where you thinking about that? Did you see the metal vase in the background and make some sort of decision about it when you shot?

hiya rutt! and the best wishes to you and yours during this holiday season :D

y'know, i actually did plan this shot out - sort of - i thought about it during the daytime, what lens, what exposure i'd need, etc... (i chose my 35mm f/1.4). but that's about it i'm afraid :D the rest of the story is that it was a 30 second grab shot, dear wife says: "c'mon up, honey, trev and i are lighting the first candle...." and so i dash up with my camera...

no flash, just candlelight. 35 f/1.4L @ f/1.4... iso 800. truth be told, i didn't fuss with worrying about the bg - my wife does *not* brook such things ... so i stood behind my boy, focused on the candle, and boom...

thanks so much for the very kind word, i really appreciate the comment and the thoughtful discourse :D
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    happy hanukkah :)

12739862-L.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson