Options

Macbook Pro good enough for photo editing?

David TaylorDavid Taylor Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
edited November 14, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
:dunno Title sorta says it all. At the moment I have a Gateway laptop and the screen is next to useless to do anything accurate on (not that any of my images are masterpieces :cry). I want a lappie because I like the flexibility they offer. I also think Apple is subliminally seducing me....

I'm thinking of a MBP that I could connect to a 23 inch ACD and then have a dual display. Is that possible? Can the MBP screen be calibrated?

I know you guys have the answers :wink

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2006
    Mac newbie here. I use a Macbook, not a Pro.

Yes, the screens can be calibrated.

Your plan is exactly what I'm contemplating, if the new MBP has enough memory.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    ne_nau.gif Title sorta says it all. At the moment I have a Gateway laptop and the screen is next to useless to do anything accurate on (not that any of my images are masterpieces :cry). I want a lappie because I like the flexibility they offer. I also think Apple is subliminally seducing me....

I'm thinking of a MBP that I could connect to a 23 inch ACD and then have a dual display. Is that possible? Can the MBP screen be calibrated?

I know you guys have the answers mwink.gif
    Macbook Pro here, 2gb RAM, Photoshop CS2, it works great. I use it for field editing and on the road.
  • Options
    Thanks wxwax. I see that the MBP maxes out at 2 GB ram. Are the new ones expected to have more?
  • Options
    Andy, how much do you trust it for editing?
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    fwiw...
    I use my Powerbook (G4) exclusively, though I'm sure it's not quite as optimal as others would like it's good enough for me. 512Mb RAM right now, but I'll quickly be moving to at least 1G if not more.
  • Options
    Thanks wxwax. I see that the MBP maxes out at 2 GB ram. Are the new ones expected to have more?
    I sure hope so. But I fear not, since the rumormill is silent on the issue.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2006
    Andy, how much do you trust it for editing?
    Trust it? Completely. I calibrate the monitor, it's great.
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Trust it? Completely. I calibrate the monitor, it's great.
    clap.gif Oooohhh, so tempting. Is it better to get the matte screen over the glossy?
  • Options
    THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    clap.gif Oooohhh, so tempting. Is it better to get the matte screen over the glossy?

My PowerBook G4 finally broke so I'm shopping for a new MBP. I have the same question - which screen is more "realistic"? Anybody?ne_nau.gif
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    My PowerBook G4 finally broke so I'm shopping for a new MBP. I have the same question - which screen is more "realistic"? Anybody?ne_nau.gif

I read it from a few sources (don't ask me to remember them all, one I think was from a mac forum) that the matte was best for colour correction, but the glossy had more impact when showing photos to others who were not so picky regards accurate colour rendition. Apparently the glossy is almost impossible to calibrate meaning blacks are too black. Maybe someone else can explain it better...
  • Options
    Plan BPlan B Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 9, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:

I have the same question. Andy, which screen did you get on your Macbook Pro? Glossy or Matte?
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    A poll by pros on a Mac website shows a significant majority (60%) going with matte.

Why?

A truer sense of colors, contrast. Gloss screens are finicky, need to be set at precisely the right angle, you never know if you've got it right or not. A truer sense of saturation.

IOW, for real work, matte was preferred.

If I can find the thread, I'll post a link.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

thanks wxwax......I read the theads and I STILL don't know which way to go.
    I need to decide fast (ordering in a couple of minutes)

Don't you have a Macbook (glossy) ? All I care about is accuracy in regards to colors for my photography.
    Plan B
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    Plan B wrote:
    thanks wxwax......I read the theads and I STILL don't know which way to go.
    I need to decide fast (ordering in a couple of minutes)

Don't you have a Macbook (glossy) ? All I care about is accuracy in regards to colors for my photography.
    Plan B
    Yes, I have a Macbook glossy.

Things look swell, when the angle's right. But it still saturates the images.

Frankly, I'd hesitate to make a glossy screen my primary work screen. I wouldn't trust it.

If you can, I'd suggest delaying your order, and going to an Apple Store to look at the matte and glossy screens for yourself.
    Sid.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 9, 2006
    The glossy screens are more eye catching ( I came from the Windows world with several HP lappies over the years ) so I had some reservations about Apples matte LCD screens also.

Apple chose the more matte screen originally to help the screen match printed output - pretty good idea, right?? That's why their Gamma was 1.8 also. Now, my Apple LCds are set to a Gamma of 2.2 like everyone else on the web, I calibrate them with a Spyder2 Pro, and would not go back to the glossy screens. They're easier on my eyes also.

Let's see if Andy agrees with my assessment......
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    Here's another thread on the same topic, different forum.

Click on the link in the first post and vote, in order to see the poll results.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Let's see if Andy agrees with my assessment......
    thumb.gif Standard (Matte) FTW!
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    thumb.gif Standard (Matte) FTW!

Thanks guys--- I went with a matte screen. I know it's bad form to ask a (lame-ish) question on your first post but I'm so comfortable here from lurking (back to when Andy switched to Macs!) and I 'know' wxwax from advrider-- seems like the same group of people some times.

I'll head over to the de-lurk page and post a pic.

B
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    IBM/Lenovo Flexview? ne_nau.gif
    109227111-L.jpg

That was taken to mimic me sitting in my chair facing straight ahead...notice, one is totally readable. In fact, just for fun, I'm typing this with the monitor like thatdeal.gif

Seriously, you want matte.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    Plan B wrote:
    Thanks guys--- I went with a matte screen. I know it's bad form to ask a (lame-ish) question on your first post but I'm so comfortable here from lurking (back to when Andy switched to Macs!) and I 'know' wxwax from advrider-- seems like the same group of people some times.

I'll head over to the de-lurk page and post a pic.

B

That's some serious lurking!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops