Options

Different galleries sharing photos

padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited September 1, 2006 in SmugMug Support
How do I upload one photo such as it will be displayed in two or more galleries?

For example I may have a "Santa Barbara Trip" gallery that contains the picture of the train we took, but I also have a "Train" gallery that I wanted the same photo to be part of. Do I have to upload the same photo twice? It seems a waste... There must have a more appropriate way to do it, and my newbie condition hinders me to see it.

Cheers

Padu
http://padu.merlotti.com
http://padu.smugmug.com
www.merlotti.com
Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    padu wrote:
    How do I upload one photo such as it will be displayed in two or more galleries?

For example I may have a "Santa Barbara Trip" gallery that contains the picture of the train we took, but I also have a "Train" gallery that I wanted the same photo to be part of. Do I have to upload the same photo twice? It seems a waste... There must have a more appropriate way to do it, and my newbie condition hinders me to see it.

Cheers

Padu
    Hi Padu,

You cannot have one photo be displayed in two or more galleries.
    What you could do is upload a photo twice, or upload it once, then make a second copy and move that to the gallery you wish to display it in.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    OK, I may be getting in way over my head, and this isn't exactly what you want to do, but I *THINK* this is possible.

You could make a gallery that had a slideshow (a la BigWebGuy) that was a slideshow based on keywords. You could have one that was just your train shots. It wouldn't be a separate, independent gallery, but a way to display all of your train shots. You could set up the slideshow to be "clickable", so that if one were to click on any of the images as they went by, they would go to the original gallery with the shot in it.

Or you could just upload twice or make a 2nd copy, like Ivar said. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Padu,

You cannot have one photo be displayed in two or more galleries.
    What you could do is upload a photo twice, or upload it once, then make a second copy and move that to the gallery you wish to display it in.

I hope this helps.

Ok, that's how I've done, but I still think it is a waste. I'm a software engineer, and everytime I have to make copies of creative work (be a photo or a piece of software) I shiver.

In software for example, if you made copies of the same piece of code (a class for example), then if you need to make changes, it is very probable that you will forget to change one of the copies, besides the fact that you are performing wasted work.

Perhaps the danger is not too great with photos, as they tend to be more static (no need to re-touch as often) as software.

Conceptually, I like how Adobe Lightroom organizes its galleries: The photos are contained in shoots, but they may be mentioned (linked) in zero, one or many galleries.

Cheers

Padu
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    padu wrote:
    Ok, that's how I've done, but I still think it is a waste. I'm a software engineer, and everytime I have to make copies of creative work (be a photo or a piece of software) I shiver.

In software for example, if you made copies of the same piece of code (a class for example), then if you need to make changes, it is very probable that you will forget to change one of the copies, besides the fact that you are performing wasted work.

Perhaps the danger is not too great with photos, as they tend to be more static (no need to re-touch as often) as software.

Conceptually, I like how Adobe Lightroom organizes its galleries: The photos are contained in shoots, but they may be mentioned (linked) in zero, one or many galleries.

Cheers

Padu

There is already a request in the Feature thread for "virtual" galleries... I'd like to see virtual galleries made up of url's to other galleries, pics, and or keywords, etc.
  • Options
    crennercrenner Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    One image in multiple galleries
    I realize that I'm a n00b here, but I still saw an opportunity to put in my 2 cents.

I have another account with another picture sharing site (pbase), and I am used to being able to do the exact thing being requested (putting a picture in more than one gallery without it taking up extra space).

I realize that for most people at smugmug, this is not much of an issue, as the space offered to them is unlimited. At pbase, to use only one credit a month, your space is limited to 400 MB (so it is an issue there). When editing a pbase gallery, you can select image(s) and move them to another gallery OR you can check a box to "copy" them instead. The "copy" checkbox (on pbase) does NOT create a second copy of the image(s), but merely reference the image(s) from more than one gallery. By the same token, if you remove an image from a gallery, it is deleted from the site ONLY if you removed the image from EVERY gallery it is in.

So, just for reference, we know that the requested feature (a single picture upload used in more than one gallery) is possible, as it has been implemented elsewhere.

I'm not trying to say that this is a better way of doing things. I'm merely providing comparison and contrast with the way another site works. I only know about this because I've had my pbase account about 18 months or so. My new smugmug account exists because I'm considering (very seriously) switching my picture hosting entirely to smugmug.

I like things here, and will probably stick around.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    I support adding referenced (linked, virtual, aliased, etc.) photos. Even if space is not an issue, maintenance is, as padu described. On smugmug, if you later do a better conversion of a photo, and you used it in four galleries, you need to update all four copies individually. I don't even think there is a tool to tell you where your duplicates are. With referenced photos, you would be able to update one and not even have to know where the others were.

It's been suggested that virtual galleries can be assembled with keywords. For that, the question is this: Is it now possible to customize the look, arrange the photos, control access, set pricing, and add a description to an individual keyword-based gallery?

There might be cases where you actually do want to make an unreferenced copy. In that case maybe smugmug could provide that option at copy time. Do you want to created a linked copy, or an independent copy? The basics of this shouldn't be too hard, because precedents exist in countless software products. I hope the feature is added.
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    more thoughts... from way back
    since this thread is linked back to the FR thread, I thought I'd reference another similar discussion here...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=267974#post267974