Options

New camera, now I need some advice on lens please

MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
edited August 21, 2006 in Cameras
Greetings

I just ordered the Canon 30D from BH Photo (body only)

I do not have any glass for it yet and would like some advice from experience if any of you could be so kind to suggest what I should be looking at for. I am looking at getting a couple lens to start. Budget is $2000.

I will be using the camera primarily for Portaiture, studio lighting and outdoor natural light. I may assist a friend on weddings occasionally so low light conditions are a consideration. My hobby of nature and landscape would be my other use and probably be the majority of the use the camera gets but the portrait stuff is where I want the best lens.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Monte

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    Probably primes may serve your needs.
    Canon 85 f1.2L, 50 f1.4 maybe good lenses.
    So is the 70-200 f2.8L IS
  • Options
    shawn1315shawn1315 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 20, 2006
    Lenses...
    Montec wrote:
    Greetings

I just ordered the Canon 30D from BH Photo (body only)

I do not have any glass for it yet and would like some advice from experience if any of you could be so kind to suggest what I should be looking at for. I am looking at getting a couple lens to start. Budget is $2000.

I will be using the camera primarily for Portaiture, studio lighting and outdoor natural light. I may assist a friend on weddings occasionally so low light conditions are a consideration. My hobby of nature and landscape would be my other use and probably be the majority of the use the camera gets but the portrait stuff is where I want the best lens.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey. Well being a Nikon user for since forever, I can't tell you what Canon lenses to buy, but I would have say that if portraiture is your mission either a "prime" lens, like an 85mm or a 105 will serve you nicely. Also, if Canon has an equivalent to the Nikon 24-120 VR zoom, you ought to look into that as well. That particular Nikkor Zoom is not the fastest lens out there but it does pretty well, if Canon has a similar lens you might find it worth checking out. I'm just getting my Smugmug site up and running, and have a coulpe of portraits up there that I shot with that zoom lens.

Low light? Go as fast as you can afford. You probably won't regret it, because even though you can shoot at higher ISOs digitally, a bride probably won't appreciate a "grainy" picture.

HTH. Like I said, I'm a Nikon guy, but it's all in the eye... the glass is just there to help. thumb.gif

Shawn
    s.lauro photography
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    I guess I would get the 24-105 and the 10-22 for that money.

The prime 50 1.4 is great, and I've heard great things about the 85.

The 17-40 is great, but for low light, you triple the money for the 16-35.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AtruckerAtrucker Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    You could get the 17-85IS, the 10-22 and the 70-300IS with enough left over to get a 50 and an 85 f1.8 for any really low low light shooting.
    I have abandoned my search for Truth and am now looking for a good Fantasy.
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    Thanks for the info, I realy appreciate the experiencd input.

A little more research and I should be set. Looking seriously at the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and 85mm f/1.8 USM for now and look at something like the 70-200 F2.8L USM a bit later.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    Good choices & what I would look for. Actually the 50/1.4 is on my list to eventually replace the 50/1.8, the 85/1.8 in the future, and 70-200/2.8 IS is second on the list. For wider, the 24-70/2.8 pairs up with the 70-200 very nicely & seems to be the most popular wedding combo. I love my 24-70, well worth the high price tag.