Options

What is an Order Password?

DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
edited August 18, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I see that when ordering, the customer has the choice (is it a choice?) of creating an order password...what is this for?

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    no choice
    It appears mandatory. It also appears to be designed to let the customer check on their order. No offense smugmug, but don't we all have enough passwords to remember these days? I'm sure there's a reason (same reason everyone else does it?). I'm curious though what inspired the password.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    I see that when ordering, the customer has the choice (is it a choice?) of creating an order password...what is this for?
    It's not a choice, customers often need to refer back to their order, this lets them do that.
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It's not a choice, customers often need to refer back to their order, this lets them do that.

I recall clicking a link in my e-mails numerous times to check on my orders but never had to create an order password before. headscratch.gif
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    A bit more in-depth explanation
    DodgeV83 wrote:

It's there so you can go to an easy url like this: http://www.smugmug.com/cart/order.mg?OrderID=23424 to view your order. Specifically, you can see thumbs and cropping and use those thumbs to get back to the gallery they came from. It makes placing a similar order easy. If there wasn't a password in place, you (or anyone) could go to a random order page (http://www.smugmug.com/cart/order.mg?OrderID=2658) and see personal info.

I hope that makes sense! I'm glad people are speaking up about this, I'll start thinking of a way to explain this better in the shopping cart (helpie?).

-Anne