Options

Portrait of a friend

Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
edited December 4, 2004 in People
Hey DGrin,

I've taken some shots today of a friend of mine and her boyfriend. We also took some portraits, just for fun. I'd like to share a portrait with you that I really like (the only photo processed from the session besides creating proofs, as of yet)
36843923.jpg
I hope you like it, and please throw me your constructive criticism :flush if you want to! (it is a bit soft because of pbase, the picture is actually nice and sharp on the eyes and lips and in between)
Enjoy your weekend!

[edit]
Additional note: I've uploaded a B/W version because my friend liked that better :D the colour version is still visible down here somewhere :wink
[/edit]
*In my mind it IS real*
Michiel de Brieder
http://www.digital-eye.nl

Comments

• Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2004
    Nice Mike. Looks like you had a good time.

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2004
    michiel,

i recall another portrait of this lovely lady - one that we did some post/cropping on, eh what?

nice work

andy
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2004
    Looks very good, nice work!

I am fooling with some portrait Photoshop stuff, and nice portraits like this are fun for me to play with. Hope you don't mind, I don't have many portraits of my own to use. I know some folks don't like them too smoothed out, what do you think?

Original.................................................... Fooled with...

11932325-M.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited November 27, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Looks very good, nice work!

I am fooling with some portrait Photoshop stuff, and nice portraits like this are fun for me to play with. Hope you don't mind, I don't have many portraits of my own to use. I know some folks don't like them too smoothed out, what do you think?

Original.................................................... Fooled with...

11932325-M.jpg

You beat me to it DJ-S1. I thought the image was an excellent place to start a discussion of post processing for portrait enhancement. You smoothed out the lines in her forhead and under her eyes and at the side of her mouth. I think you made some nice improvements. Portraits of lovely young women do not need to be overly sharp. And this is a lovely portrait.
    thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2004
    Hi Andy,
    andy wrote:
    i recall another portrait of this lovely lady - one that we did some post/cropping on, eh what?
    Thanks for the compliment :D but it is another lady mwink.gif I'm trying to be more Yehuda and get me some more beauty to photograph
    Enjoy your sunday Andy!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2004
    to Pathfinder and DJ
    Hi guys,

nice of you to chime in! Thanks for the compliment, to start off with, also on behalf of my friend :D You did some nice work on post processing, and you are always allowed to use my photos for fooling around!
    As for the changes: you did a very food job in producing a smooth portrait! I'll have to discuss it with my friend if she wants her portrait to be smooth, because she's more into portraits 'as-is' if you get my meaning mwink.gif that's why I left the lines that could have been cleaned up, untouched.
    Thank you for taking the time to show me a different interpretation of the portrait, it is much appreciated! (I'll have a take on it myself later on mwink.gif)
    Enjoy your sunday!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2004
    Changing the photo
    Hello Dgrinners,

I've had to change the photo due to dissatisfaction of the model mwink.gif she wanted a B/W version, so she got it. It might be that you see the B/W replacement instead of the colour version that previous posters have worked on. I took their words in consideration and decided to make the B/W softfocus (except for eyes and lips) So I'd like to thank DJ again for reminding me of softening the portrait!

Ciao!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    With all respect for the fiddling of DJ, but I like the original version more. She looks more real... We women all know that you can't have skin like that unless you are a loreal model... and 17 years of age.

Michiel, I love also portraits to be honest... who needs the smoothing out?
    Why do they call it enhancement? When all the life is taken out of a face?
    Sorry, will get off my soapbox...

Still a nice job DJ and Michiel :D
  • Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2004
    Hey Michiel!
    How nice to find you here too! :-)

First of all, I must say you got a lovely portrait here. I like your B&W conversion, it works great!

Regarding the softness, it's just as you said: the eyes & lips look sharp, while the skin is smooth because of the soft look. If you had made it just a little softer, I think it would have been too much. So, nice job on this one too.

I also think it's very interesting that your model (especially the hair) looks like a girl I've photographed a couple months ago... :-)

Anyways... Great shot! Thanks for sharing!

Take care!

-- thiago
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2004
    thanks photocat!
    photocat wrote:
    Michiel, I love also portraits to be honest... who needs the smoothing out? Why do they call it enhancement? When all the life is taken out of a face?
    I'll take you on a step further :D I'd rather see women without make-up, oh well, in MY perfect world.... mwink.gif
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2004
    Laughing.gif, a confession
    Regarding the softness, it's just as you said: the eyes & lips look sharp, while the skin is smooth because of the soft look. If you had made it just a little softer, I think it would have been too much. So, nice job on this one too.
    I've done some REALLY agressive gaussian on the skin, like, 5.6 or something rolleyes1.gif I don't think it could have been much softer. Good to see it works out :D
    I also think it's very interesting that your model (especially the hair) looks like a girl I've photographed a couple months ago... :-)
    Hey, cool, have you got a link to the images???
    Thanks for the warm compliments Thiago!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    I don't usually do that kind of tinkering with my photos, but my dad's not happy that my gran's photos have so many lines in (she's a very wrinkly lady, not suprising at 87!).

Can I ask what funtion you use to do that smoothing, please? Might have a go on gran!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2004
    Sure, no problem Yvonne:
    yvonne wrote:
    Can I ask what funtion you use to do that smoothing, please? Might have a go on gran!
    I am using Photoshop CS to create the effect. Here are the steps I took:
    1. Open image ylsuper.gif
    2. create a duplicate from the background and use a gaussion blur (4 to 7... play a bit with it)
    3. add a layer mask to the blurred layer (reveal all)
    4. paint over the layer mask to remove the blur from the eyes and lips
    5. If you want to sharpen up the eyes and mouth, create another layer from the background an use either High Pass (soft light modus) or USM to sharpen.
    6. if you have taken step 5: add a layer mask to the sharpening layer, hide all, and paint the eyes and mouth to show the sharpening layer on those areas
    6. If you're doing B/W then take a channel mixer to convert the image (my favourite way!) and pump the greens, lower the reds (this is how I prefer to do a B/W conversion, YMMV)
    7. If converted to B/W append an adjustment layer of selective colours for the blacks.
    8. Perhaps a slight curves adjustment layer wll finish the job if you find the result not entirely satisfactory (In B/W I usually stay away from curves)

Well, that's about it. I hope I was clear, and if you need more help, just let me know!! If you send me the photo I can do some editing in photoshop and give you the PSD.
    Ciao!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    Michiel,

that was great. I am glad I just happened upon the info, very precise, I hope.
    You did say what the layer masks were called, that is so helpful. I am going to print it out and put it with other stuff in Kelby's book.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2004
    Hey Ginger, thanks for the compliment
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Michiel,

that was great. I am glad I just happened upon the info, very precise, I hope.
    You did say what the layer masks were called, that is so helpful. I am going to print it out and put it with other stuff in Kelby's book.

ginger
    If there's any trouble in the sequence that you might not understand just holler and I'll be happy to explain mwink.gif if it's going into a book it's gotta be right, neh? :D
    Cheers!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    I am using Photoshop CS to create the effect. Here are the steps I took:
    1. Open image ylsuper.gif
    2. create a duplicate from the background and use a gaussion blur (4 to 7... play a bit with it)
    3. add a layer mask to the blurred layer (reveal all)
    4. paint over the layer mask to remove the blur from the eyes and lips
    5. If you want to sharpen up the eyes and mouth, create another layer from the background an use either High Pass (soft light modus) or USM to sharpen.
    6. if you have taken step 5: add a layer mask to the sharpening layer, hide all, and paint the eyes and mouth to show the sharpening layer on those areas
    6. If you're doing B/W then take a channel mixer to convert the image (my favourite way!) and pump the greens, lower the reds (this is how I prefer to do a B/W conversion, YMMV)
    7. If converted to B/W append an adjustment layer of selective colours for the blacks.
    8. Perhaps a slight curves adjustment layer wll finish the job if you find the result not entirely satisfactory (In B/W I usually stay away from curves)

Well, that's about it. I hope I was clear, and if you need more help, just let me know!! If you send me the photo I can do some editing in photoshop and give you the PSD.
    Ciao!
    thanks very much. I'll give that a go this weekend.
  • Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2004
    Similar hair?
    Hi Michiel!
    Hey, cool, have you got a link to the images???
    Perhaps you remember this photo, it's the one that sold me on the ISO 1600 thing, take a look:

fab1.jpg

I think I made another version of it, with different processing, but can't find it right now...

Take care!

-- thiago
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2004
    Excellent thread.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    Beautiful portrait...
    Michiel,
    I love the black and white. Personally, I like smooth portraits. I like to see the picture as the "ideal" image of the person. You can see flaws in real life, why be reminded of them in a photograph. When you see a person in real life, their personality distracts you from any flaws and you don't notice them. But, in a portrait, you are almost looking at the person under a magnifying glass. The little flaws can distract you from the beauty that you know is there. Well, that's my pitch for retouching. :D
    Thanks for the tutorial. I am not good with layers. All help is appreciated. I don't have PS CS yet. (only Elements) Maybe Santa will bring it for Christmas. mwink.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog