Options

Dgrin and Browser Issues

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited December 3, 2004 in The Big Picture
I've discovered some serious browser issues while trying to play here on Dgrin. OS is Mac Panther (10.3.6).

* Safari 1.2.4 - unusable. Near constant beachball of death.
* Camino v0.8.1 - unusable. Smilie animation seems to beat the browser into submission, so you can type one character per every two seconds.
* Mozilla 1.7.2 - works fine.
* IE 5.2.3 - works fine.

I would prefer to use Safari, and in fact, Dgrin is the only website I've come across so far that didn't work with Safari.

What's up with that, kids?
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I've discovered some serious browser issues while trying to play here on Dgrin. OS is Mac Panther (10.3.6).

* Safari 1.2.4 - unusable. Near constant beachball of death.
    * Camino v0.8.1 - unusable. Smilie animation seems to beat the browser into submission, so you can type one character per every two seconds.
    * Mozilla 1.7.2 - works fine.
    * IE 5.2.3 - works fine.

I would prefer to use Safari, and in fact, Dgrin is the only website I've come across so far that didn't work with Safari.

What's up with that, kids?

Same here. I just went to a basic editor in Safari. You may also want to turn off the option in Safari to automatically fill out forms. This has killed me in the past on other sites.

Dave
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 17, 2004
    Yup - I'm a Camino die hard (Mac OS X at home too thumb.gif ) and it makes me not want to check dgrin from home. Which is unfortunately the only place I have time.

What gives?

BTW, dgrin also seems to run slower with Firefox on my PC at work too. Especially the smilies.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2004
    Mac browsers
    fish wrote:

* Safari 1.2.4 - unusable.

Gotta love the web, right? Everything is so platform independant ;)

I'm using 10.3.6 and 1.2.4 as well. I have often had trouble typing in message forum edit boxes (as I am doing right now). I found I need to have basic editing only. Sometimes it works better than others. Right now everything is working just fine. I can type as fast as I want and it keeps up.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2004
    turning on basic editing doesn't help with safari. I guess i just need to deal with mozilla when i want to play on dgrin.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2004
    It is odd that you have such difficulty that you are going to have to abandon safari on dgrin.

I use a PB 1ghtz, OS 10.3.6 and Safari 1.2.4 (v125.11). Safari works fine for me, occasionally (rarely) it will type slowly and some smilies will not animate, but the majority of the time it works fine. I post in guided mode.

Have you tried to reset Safari? Doing so will remove all cookies and saved passwords. I do it every so often just in the hopes that it will speed it up.

I use it with a several different vbulletin sites and it is fine.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    It is odd that you have such difficulty that you are going to have to abandon safari on dgrin.

Agreed.
    Have you tried to reset Safari? Doing so will remove all cookies and saved passwords. I do it every so often just in the hopes that it will speed it up.

I just reset Safari, and no difference...except all my saved passwords and autofill fields are gone. :(:

I'll try it on the powerbook in a minute (i'm on the iMac now).
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I'll try it on the powerbook in a minute (i'm on the iMac now).

Okay, I'm using Safari on my powerbook now and it's working fine...even in full wysiwyg mode. No reset required.

I'm baffled. Any suggestions? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2004
    patch29 wrote:

I use a PB 1ghtz, OS 10.3.6 and Safari 1.2.4 (v125.11). Safari works fine for me, occasionally (rarely) it will type slowly and some smilies will not animate, but the majority of the time it works fine. I post in guided mode.

I use it with a several different vbulletin sites and it is fine.
    How bout Camino? You think this might work too (if I can find the reset in there somewhere...)
    Erik

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    How bout Camino? You think this might work too (if I can find the reset in there somewhere...)
    What about a dgrin option to just turn off smiley anamation? I'd use this on all browsers, actually. I hate the animation, but it does bring Camino to its knees.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    What about a dgrin option to just turn off smiley anamation? I'd use this on all browsers, actually. I hate the animation, but it does bring Camino to its knees.

As far as I can tell it is not possible to turn them off to one user. It is within the vbulletin software, to display all images (smilies included) or not. The only option would be to turn off all the img links in your control panel.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2004
    There is a small update today, not sure if it will help your Safari issues, but it might.
    Now available via Software Update:

Security Update 2004-12-02 delivers a number of security enhancements and is recommended for all Macintosh users. This update includes the following components:

Apache
    AppKit
    HIToolbox
    Kerberos
    Postfix
    PSNormalizer
    Safari
    Terminal

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2004
    For PC users - there was also a Firefox update recently that fixed a couple bugs there too.
    Erik