Options

Imagine no possessions

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited July 11, 2006 in People
Imagine-no-possessions-IMG_3578.jpgHomeless man with his belongings in shopping trolley.
They are living amongst us but not with us. They have their own world - their own space. Often by cruel fate but frequently by choice they live out of the shopping trolley as their base. Their private space moves with them wherever they go.
The trolley is the closet and apparently the back, removable part if often used as a grill.

In the lunch time crowd he is the colourful character and thus the selective colouring technique. Notice how all the people in the frame as walking away from the center. (click the thumbnail or the link for full photograph)

Comments

• Options
    BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    I LOVE this for many reasons...His face and hair are amazing.... The people behind him are obviously well off... Very moving and at the same time a really nice shot.
    Kat
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt
  • Options
    Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    I'm saddened for those whom are homeless. Some may not want to get out of their situation, others can't get out of it and remian homeless.
    I use to be on the streets 14-15 years ago. However, I had it better than many... I lived in my cars and I had a job.
    When this country (USA) economically falls apart, I guess I'll be in my cars again, or in a tent. Life is hard, even when it's at it's best.

Nice shot. I like the color for the man and the b/w for those behind him. Maybe some people like that - that have nothing, have more color in
    their hearts than those that have everything.
    http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
    Camera: Nikon D50
    Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
    Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
    Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
    Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
    Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
    Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Good photo you had my looking at the photo for a while
    Nice selective color too

Fred
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    Thank you all for kind comments on this photo.

I know this has been discussed on many occasions but I refuse to accept people chose to live like that.

This man was aware I was taking a photo of him. He did not object or approve - like I did not exist for him.
  • Options
    deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Not quite sure how to say "really nice photo" to a picture like that since I find it so sad too.... But it truly is a great picture that captures a bit of our world today.. sad as it is...

The way you selectively colored it really makes the photo Ted... great job! clap.gif
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • Options
    athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    photography doesnt always capture the beautiful - we need more photography like this to depict reality well. i like the selective color in this as well.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    I try to keep a ballance in what I photograph. In a way that ballance is naturally provided. By the same token the less fortunate people are more visible in the crowd.

athos wrote:
    photography doesnt always capture the beautiful - we need more photography like this to depict reality well. i like the selective color in this as well.
  • Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    I've grown up in a small city in Western Canada, and less than a week ago I came to New York to visit family for a few weeks.. And just this Sunday my aunt and I went exploring Manhattan and I, for the first time in my life saw "true" homeless people, just like the man in that photo. It was absolutely heart breaking. I've seen people who don't have a home, but live in a shelter, but a lot of these peoples homes were in their bags. My heart absolutely goes out to these people who manage it. these photographs of homeless people actually affect me, they got to me before, but now that i've actually seen it, its nearly traumatizing. Jamie. ps. good photo
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    I've grown up in a small city in Western Canada, and less than a week ago I came to New York to visit family for a few weeks.. And just this Sunday my aunt and I went exploring Manhattan and I, for the first time in my life saw "true" homeless people, just like the man in that photo. It was absolutely heart breaking. I've seen people who don't have a home, but live in a shelter, but a lot of these peoples homes were in their bags. My heart absolutely goes out to these people who manage it. these photographs of homeless people actually affect me, they got to me before, but now that i've actually seen it, its nearly traumatizing. Jamie. ps. good photo
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe