Options

Veronica [Bikini shoot]

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited June 30, 2006 in People
Hello friends!
My friend Veronica, some of you might have "met" her before, called me tonight, asking if could take some bikini pics of her. Well, I really - honestly - didn't feel like it, but I didn't have the heart to let her down! So I forced my self to utter "Sure!" in a "Oh, I'm so happy that you asked me!"-voice. A photographer gotta do what a photographer gotta do! *Haha* :wink
So we went out and gave it a go.
Veronicas major "problem" that just doesn't give in, is controlling her facial expressions. She always looks the same, almost like she's bothered or bored. But she isn't, we always have a good time when out shooting, laughing and joking all the time, we've been shooting togheter many times, and we've know eachother for many years but facing the lens waiting for the shutter release click-click she gets "this" expression. Comments and critics are welcome!

78580407-O.jpg

78580385-O.jpg

78580398-O.jpg

78580419-O.jpg

78580430-O.jpg

78580444-O.jpg

78580466-O.jpg

Well - I got a few "smilers" anyway!

78590235-O.jpg

How is THIS for a smile?

78593464-O.jpg

78593498-O.jpg

78593490-O.jpg

Comments

• Options
    camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    Watch those blowouts on the skin - were you using any kind of on-camera flash?

As for facial expressions, I totally know what you mean. I work with a number of models who have the same problem. What I've found works is two things.

The first is cheating: have a conversation, but keep shooting. Shoot lots of frames. Fill those CF cards, buy more, and fill them. Most of the shots will be utter garbage because she's talking, but you'll find a few where her mouth and face are in a novel and unique position, and there's your shot. The problem, of course, is, as I said, that's cheating. Additionally, it does the model no good, because she can't learn from it and reproduce the expression.

The second is to tell her that she's acting, not modeling. Pick and emotion and give it to me. You'd be surprised at how well that works.

Sometimes. Not always.
  • Options
    elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    Thanx for your input! Yes, I had my 580EX on camera. I only have one speedlite, and no IR-transmitter. I brought a Sunpak 383 Super that I use off shoe via a sync cable - but do ya think I had the cable with me? No! Otherwise, I would have experimented a little, bouncing or shooting through an white umbrella.

Yes, we do chat all the time, but mostly about what we are doing. Next time, I'll try to talk about anything but what we are doing. :):

Matty
    cambler wrote:
    Watch those blowouts on the skin - were you using any kind of on-camera flash?

As for facial expressions, I totally know what you mean. I work with a number of models who have the same problem. What I've found works is two things.

The first is cheating: have a conversation, but keep shooting. Shoot lots of frames. Fill those CF cards, buy more, and fill them. Most of the shots will be utter garbage because she's talking, but you'll find a few where her mouth and face are in a novel and unique position, and there's your shot. The problem, of course, is, as I said, that's cheating. Additionally, it does the model no good, because she can't learn from it and reproduce the expression.

The second is to tell her that she's acting, not modeling. Pick and emotion and give it to me. You'd be surprised at how well that works.

Sometimes. Not always.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    Matty good photos
    I sure she is very happy with these.
    Very beautiful model

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    glowbellyglowbelly Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    they are beautiful photos of a beautiful lady. my ONLY nitpick is the jewelry. i think it should come off in shots like these. just my opinion.
  • Options
    jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    elfving73 wrote:
    Yes, we do chat all the time, but mostly about what we are doing. Next time, I'll try to talk about anything but what we are doing.
    I don't work with professional models. With my portrait photos, I get people to smile by first getting them to stick out their tongues, make funny faces, etc. Then I take shots of the funny faces. I always tell them "I can delete that, if you want.". What I'm trying to do is get a really horrible shot, so that they stop being self conscious about what they look like in the photo. I already have a really horrible photo "in the can" so everything else is going to be better, right? Usually this loosens them up and I get great smiles after I get the funny face shot.

Chris's advice is also very good. You can't fault his photos! So, if your model can act, I'd go with that approach.

(Hi Chris. Long time no talkie. I think the last time we met was at your place in SLO, circa 1997?)

jc
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Great series Matty, and what a charming model. I like number six and nine best.

Malte
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Nice series of shots. I'll have to say photo #6 is my favorite.