edited June 9, 2006 in The Big Picture
Here.
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    Once I get comfy on the macbook, I'll try Opera.

My Firefox crashes at least once a day when I bump into a site with indigestible Java. I can't express how much their inept design annoys me.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Once I get comfy on the macbook, I'll try Opera.

My Firefox crashes at least once a day when I bump into a site with indigestible Java. I can't express how much their inept design annoys me.

Safari catches a lot of grief, and I've tried other browsers, but I keep coming back to Safari.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Safari catches a lot of grief, and I've tried other browsers, but I keep coming back to Safari.
    Yeah, you have to love a browser that you must shift-refresh 3x in order to get fresh images sometimes :uhoh
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah, you have to love a browser that you must shift-refresh 3x in order to get fresh images sometimes :uhoh

Sigh.

Read the article. Safari has a lot to offer.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

can you point us at a site or two that does this? I'm not saying it doesn't for you; I'm curious though, 'cause I don't remember FF ever crashing on either my Windows or OS X systems.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    can you point us at a site or two that does this? I'm not saying it doesn't for you; I'm curious though, 'cause I don't remember FF ever crashing on either my Windows or OS X systems.
    I did in another thread here. Problem is, when I find one... it crashes my browser. I have to go into my Task List and find the Process and stop that from running, before I can even restart Firefox. Wanna know how long it took for this computer dope to figure out even this much? Ticks me the hell off.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    hmm, interesting. I'll go hunt throught the threads here and see what I can find.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    hmm, interesting. I'll go hunt throught the threads here and see what I can find.
    I tried a search, can't remember where I posted it, it's been about a week.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I tried a search, can't remember where I posted it, it's been about a week.

Here.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Good find! Yeah, that's it.

And I'm not gonna click on it again, just to prove it still crashes my browser!
    Sid.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

I can load that site in both Safari and Firefox without a problem. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Works for me in FF Mac, FF Win, Opera, Camino, Safari and IE6 ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I can load that site in both Safari and Firefox without a problem. ne_nau.gif
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.

What, you think I'm making it up? FLIPA.gif

I've had java problems with the mozilla browsers ever since I started using them. For some reason, the Java applet or whatever it's called would never go into the correct folder. And it's not like I know where to put it. I find myself downloading the same stupid Java update over and over, to no effect.

Pain in the butt, I'm telling you. A flawed browser.
    Sid.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited June 8, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Sid,

I just loaded that page and used the widgets without problem. I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.4 on Win2k. Might you be using an old version of the Java Runtime Environment? Reason I ask, I had a problem using the Smugmug Java uploader a few days ago. The Java console reported Java language exceptions, which I found very strange. I had disabled the automatic update feature in Java because it was bugging me too often, and as a result was running a fairly old version. I installed the latest version and everything has been fine since.

FWIW.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.

What, you think I'm making it up? FLIPA.gif

I've had java problems with the mozilla browsers ever since I started using them. For some reason, the Java applet or whatever it's called would never go into the correct folder. And it's not like I know where to put it. I find myself downloading the same stupid Java update over and over, to no effect.

Pain in the butt, I'm telling you. A flawed browser.

better check your spyware, adware, viruswear, javawear, cuz it's not us, it's you. blbl.gif
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    Oh yea, I remember that one now. I know you don't want to hear it, but it works fine for me on my Mac. I'll check the XP system tomorrow at work. I wonder what the difference is, why yours acts up like that.
  • Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    better check your spyware, adware, viruswear, javawear, cuz it's not us, it's you. blbl.gif

it's good here too
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Sid,

I just loaded that page and used the widgets without problem. I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.4 on Win2k. Might you be using an old version of the Java Runtime Environment? Reason I ask, I had a problem using the Smugmug Java uploader a few days ago. The Java console reported Java language exceptions, which I found very strange. I had disabled the automatic update feature in Java because it was bugging me too often, and as a result was running a fairly old version. I installed the latest version and everything has been fine since.

FWIW.
    The smugmug java uploader thingy works fine for me. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    Oh yea, I remember that one now. I know you don't want to hear it, but it works fine for me on my Mac. I'll check the XP system tomorrow at work. I wonder what the difference is, why yours acts up like that.
    As I said, about once a day I Google myself into a Java exception that crashes my browser.

I'm a good boy. I update my Firefox. I click on "you need this java update" buttons. Really, I'm very obedient. Firefox, he hate me.
    Sid.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    I had tons of problems with FF crashing, images not loading etc. It was a mess. I fixed it all by creating a new profile. Somehow mine got corrupt, or there was something wrong, I am not sure. But FF is stable as a rock now.

To learn how to do this, go to http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

Back up your profile, create a new one, and see if it performs better. Btw, when you have more than one profile, FF asks you which you want to use. This can be useful, but gets very annoying, so eventually you will want to settle on one.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    StevenV wrote:

I check the site via FF on my mac running XP and it worked. I did need to update java, which it did without any problems. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    I had tons of problems with FF crashing, images not loading etc. It was a mess. I fixed it all by creating a new profile. Somehow mine got corrupt, or there was something wrong, I am not sure. But FF is stable as a rock now.

To learn how to do this, go to http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

Back up your profile, create a new one, and see if it performs better. Btw, when you have more than one profile, FF asks you which you want to use. This can be useful, but gets very annoying, so eventually you will want to settle on one.
    Bummer, it's a work computer, no access to Start/Run.
    Sid.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Do you have the Command Prompt?
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

If its a work computer, I'd mention something to the tech guys (if you have them). There's definitely a problem with your settings, but I'm guessing since you don't have access to start/run you're not going to be able to fix it yourself.

Its possible that eventhough you're downloading and installing Java, its not saving to the computer properly because of your limited user rights.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    No command prompt. I imagine you're right, Spesh.
    Sid.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    Oh god I hate Opera. I can't believe that article gave it such a good review. The UI is pretty but almost completely unuseable. Safari has a plethora of problems. Firefox is by far the best browser out there. Firefox 2+ is going to apparently r0x0rz your s0x0rz...

Just saying.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Oh god I hate Opera. I can't believe that article gave it such a good review. The UI is pretty but almost completely unuseable. Safari has a plethora of problems. Firefox is by far the best browser out there. Firefox 2+ is going to apparently r0x0rz your s0x0rz...

Just saying.

How is the UI unusable? I just checked it out for the first time in a while, and it's got a lot of great features, and seems very usable. FF is fugly. I think you're just used to FF, to tell the truth...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    How is the UI unusable? I just checked it out for the first time in a while, and it's got a lot of great features, and seems very usable. FF is fugly. I think you're just used to FF, to tell the truth...

Naw man, try to add toolbars and switch things around. It's very un-user friendly. Firefox is what you want it to be in terms of looks what with skins and all. Opera is craptacular.

• Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Naw man, try to add toolbars and switch things around. It's very un-user friendly. Firefox is what you want it to be in terms of looks what with skins and all. Opera is craptacular.

Skins don't hide FF's underlying fugliness. But I will try what you suggest with Opera.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    Well I grew up on windows, I guess it's not hard to see why I'm not that picky about looks lol3.gif