Options

Another Keyword Issue?

BassAnglerBassAngler Registered Users Posts: 104 Big grins
edited October 23, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Last night I bulk keyworded all photos in a new gallery:

http://www.kenspics.com/gallery/1511272

When I do a search of Smugmug for one of the keyworded photos I get zero results. Also the keywords don't show in my keywords section of my control panel.

What's going on?! Can we please make this simple process simply work?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    Hi Ken,

I see these

"memorial day parade bangor maine" "memorial day parade bangor maine" "memorial day parade" "bangor maine" "bangor" "maine" "memorial day" "memorial day in maine" "maine air national guard" "flyover bangor maine" "parade in bangor" "bangor parade" "veterans" "highland photography" "ken d'errico" "ken derrico" "maine photographers" "memorial day 2006" "bangor maine memorial day 2006" "bangor maine memorial day parade 2006" "maine army national guard"

and they are on the /keyword page on your site

http://www.highlandphoto.smugmug.com/keyword/

are there other keywords you added that are not showing up?
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    Hmmm, why wouldn't I see them? Why don't I get any results in Smugmug when I do a search for one of those keywords?
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    BassAngler wrote:
    Hmmm, why wouldn't I see them? Why don't I get any results in Smugmug when I do a search for one of those keywords?
    http://www.smugmug.com/search/index.mg?searchWords=bangor+parade&searchType=global&x=0&y=0

? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    Yeah and of the 56 results only one is mine and it's one I incorrectly keyworded. None of the newest photos show up.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    BassAngler wrote:
    Yeah and of the 56 results only one is mine and it's one I incorrectly keyworded. None of the newest photos show up.
    OK - thanks for the report - I've made sure that our engineers have seen this, sorry for any trouble.

So the keywords are there, but search isn't picking up is that our conclusion?

I could be that the indexing of the db is just behind right now. Stay tuned, and thanks for your patience.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    If you say they are there then they are. I don't see them. Only my older keywords are appearing.

When you say indexing may be slow does it take more than 24 hours? I did these last night.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    BassAngler wrote:
    If you say they are there then they are. I don't see them. Only my older keywords are appearing.

When you say indexing may be slow does it take more than 24 hours? I did these last night.
    Ken, as I posted in #2 post above, look on your /keyword page - do you see the keywords there?

The indexing, COULD be behind - things are a tiny bit "off" right now and we apologize for that.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    This is what I see...only my older keywords not the new ones in question.

http://www.highlandphoto.smugmug.com/keyword/

Standing by.....headscratch.gif
  • Options
    caseservecaseserve Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    My keywords are also not showing up
    I just keyworded over 800 photos this morning and they are not showing up.
    Site: caseserve.smugmug.com or www.CaseServe.com

Thanks,
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    Half a day later: keywords still haven't shown up.
    Andy wrote:
    Ken, as I posted in #2 post above, look on your /keyword page - do you see the keywords there?

The indexing, COULD be behind - things are a tiny bit "off" right now and we apologize for that.

It is now the morning after i uploaded my pics and the keywords are still not showing up.

When i log in and go to my new gallery, choose Smugmug or Smugmug_small style, i see the link that lets me edit the keywords for each pic.

When i click this link, the keywords do show up in the editbox. Also, when i do a 'View Source', the keywords do show up (as text of the invisible editbox).

So, the keywords are there and known, but the keywords just do not show up as visible links (<A> elements).
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    Keyword updating in the database is lagged. Not sure how long the lag is but it's definitely not as zippy as it used to be. Please hang in there, the system will catch up.

Sorry for the troubles - and we appreciate everyone's patience while we get things sorted!
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Keyword updating in the database is lagged. Not sure how long the lag is but it's definitely not as zippy as it used to be. Please hang in there, the system will catch up.

Sorry for the troubles - and we appreciate everyone's patience while we get things sorted!

I don't understand:
    If the keyword updating is lagged, how is it possible that i do see the keywords inside the editbox (invisible editbox, but becomes visible when you hit the 'keyword: edit' link)?

This means that the keywords for each pic are known and are on the page. They are not shown as clickable links, however.

It seems a page/html-formatting issue: Keywords are known and added to the (hidden) editbox, but not written as <a> links.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    Bulk edit of keywords not working
    same problem here too...

this is been an issue all week, I just uploaded 4 pics, only 2 of them showed up. I bulk keyworded the 2 files, and the keywords don't show up. I can hit edit keywords on the pic and they are there, etc.

Easily repeatable, why isn't this fixed yet?

I don't mind waiting till it is fixed but I don't see anyone from smugmug acknowledging it or saying they are working on it, etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    I don't mind waiting till it is fixed but I don't see anyone from smugmug acknowledging it or saying they are working on it, etc.
    I thought that's what I did?
  • Options
    TazzyTazzyTazzyTazzy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    keywords not showing up on bulk edit
    Here's what i've found. If I do a bulk edit of keywords after I use star explorer, they won't be found in the keywords list or in the keywords area when viewing a photo. I have to click on "edit" where the keywords are, then, the keywords pop in from when i did my bulk edit. So, I just simply have to click save.

So, what I do is. Bulk edit keywords. Then, have to visit each photo, click edit, then save. Really tedious and annoying, but it works. :\

-Mitch
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I thought that's what I did?

hard to believe it is just "lagging" when people are reporting that they bulk edited keywords yesterday, and they still don't show up today....

I know it has been a tough week, sorry to sound cranky
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    TazzyTazzy wrote:
    Here's what i've found. If I do a bulk edit of keywords after I use star explorer, they won't be found in the keywords list or in the keywords area when viewing a photo. I have to click on "edit" where the keywords are, then, the keywords pop in from when i did my bulk edit. So, I just simply have to click save.

So, what I do is. Bulk edit keywords. Then, have to visit each photo, click edit, then save. Really tedious and annoying, but it works. :\

-Mitch

Not related to starexplorer, I just tried adding keywords here where I used the Universal uploader, and the same problem exists....
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1519814
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    hard to believe it is just "lagging" when people are reporting that they bulk edited keywords yesterday, and they still don't show up today....

I know it has been a tough week, sorry to sound cranky
    It has. Thanks for that.
    Until I know more from Onethumb, it's just lagged. Apologies for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    OK, maybe it is lag. Some of my keywords are beginning to show up now, not all but some. The photos are now beginning to show up in a search too.

Not good in my opinion because I uploaded Tuesday. It's now Friday and if people were searching for my timely Memorial Day photos they wouldn't have found 'em. Could have caused a lost sale or two in my opinion.

:cry
  • Options
    jefflennanjefflennan Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Reasons why I am not seeing keywords on photo pages?
    Andy wrote:

Hi Andy

Thanks for all of your great help on the forums.

I am not seeing keywords on the photos in each of my galleries, although it works in others. Could this be bc that gallery is private? I am sure I am missing something. Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    jefflennan wrote:
    Hi Andy

Thanks for all of your great help on the forums.

I am not seeing keywords on the photos in each of my galleries, although it works in others. Could this be bc that gallery is private? I am sure I am missing something. Thanks for any help.
    You're right, Keywords do not work in private galleries.
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog