Options

Issue with category test

samyasamya Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited May 28, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi,
I created a category 'test' and some subcategories and albums under it using Star*Explorer. When I try to access the category test using my browser, it says:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /test/ on this server
:scratch:scratch:scratch

Any idea? If test is not allowed as a valid subcategory, it should be prevented from being created throught the API also.
Thanks
-Samya

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2006
    Does the category show up in StarExplorer? I don't tried creating it, but I get the same error on my site trying to access /test/ instead of the usual redirect to the homepage. Looks like this directory exists on all accounts for internal testing.
    I guess that's nothing to worry about - you just can't use 'test' as a category name. 'Test' with a capital T should work though, but I don't recommend it as some might not pay attention when typing the address and then end up on the error page.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2006
    Please, always put a link to your website if you are requesting assistance, okay? Saves us alot of searching. http://samya.smugmug.com

Did you create a category 'test' or 'Test'? Make sure you use your capitals right. http://samya.smugmug.com/Test gives me no problems, just says no (public) galleries found.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2006
    'admin' seems to be a reserved directory name, too (what a surprize). This time I get no error page though - just an empty page.

Maybe there's a possibility for the SM team to redirect these maintainance folders back to the homepage for anyone without sufficient credentials if it accidently gets hit by a visitor?! mwink.gif

Sebastian

PS: I'll add it to the feature requests.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2006
    I filed a feature request. Trying to create both 'test' and 'admin' with the tools in the control panel resulted in messages stating that the categories were created successfully - so it's not just the API that lacks the error handling.

Sebastian

EDIT: both categories also show up in my list of custom categories - so I could assign pictures to them!
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2006
    For Sebastian:
    Yes the category shows up in Star*Explorer and the API interfaces. The only problem is accessing via web. Now, since I cannot access it, I'm not sure how to delete it.

for Ivar:
    Yep, I should have posted link to my site. But what do you mean by use capitals right? Is having a category with non capital letters not allowed? Whay are you confused about Test/test. In my original post, I never used Test, right?

Any idea how I can delete this category?
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2006
    samya wrote:
    For Sebastian:
    Yes the category shows up in Star*Explorer and the API interfaces. The only problem is accessing via web. Now, since I cannot access it, I'm not sure how to delete it.

for Ivar:
    Yep, I should have posted link to my site. But what do you mean by use capitals right? Is having a category with non capital letters not allowed? Whay are you confused about Test/test. In my original post, I never used Test, right?

Any idea how I can delete this category?
    I think I brought up the captial 'Test'. This one you can actually use, because it's not reserved, but as I've already said I wouldn't do it myself - too much possible confusion between 'test' and 'Test'.

Deleting is no problem - you just have to do it directly on your homepage, because I think you can't delete stuff at all from S*E. Go to your control panel - in the 'organize & customize' section there's a link called 'categories'. From there you can delete your custom categories.

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2006
    I think I brought up the captial 'Test'. This one you can actually use, because it's not reserved, but as I've already said I wouldn't do it myself - too much possible confusion between 'test' and 'Test'.

Deleting is no problem - you just have to do it directly on your homepage, because I think you can't delete stuff at all from S*E. Go to your control panel - in the 'organize & customize' section there's a link called 'categories'. From there you can delete your custom categories.

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Yep. That worked. Thank you.
    The sub categories under test were moved automatically to Others. Is that a feature?
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2006
    samya wrote:
    Yep. That worked. Thank you.
    The sub categories under test were moved automatically to Others. Is that a feature?
    Sounds like a good feature, if it is one.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero