Options

I started using Bibble

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited May 25, 2006 in Finishing School
I have been using Photoshop and ACR for RAW processing for a while now. But I have been irratated with Photoshops activation scheme. So around the beginning of the year I decided to say no to activation, which means bye bye to windows and adobe...

...enter linux and bibble.

I just completed my first gallery using bibblepr 4.7 to edit and batch process the RAW files from a job I did on Saturday. I was pleased with the work flow for the most part, different from ACR but largely as capable with a few goodies that even ACR doesn't have.

I did notice that the color temperature adjustment does not match ACR. I had to use settings that were a few hundred K lower than I normally would use. And the only feature I found missing was vignette control. I do have word from the developers that this feature is planned for a future release.

I tried the Perfectly Clear setting, and it does seem to work and work effectively to jazz up a photo and make the exposure look pretty good. I still could milk a little more out of the image by fine tuning saturation, contrast, and exposure, but that just makes sense :wink

All in all, I was impressed, and was able to be productive within a short time. Now that the initial learning curve, I look forward to getting deep into it and bend it to my will :rofl

Anyone out there use Bibble? Any tips or resources you know of?
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    I have been using Photoshop and ACR for RAW processing for a while now. But I have been irratated with Photoshops activation scheme. So around the beginning of the year I decided to say no to activation, which means bye bye to windows and adobe...

I just completed my first gallery using bibblepr 4.7 to edit and batch process the RAW files from a job I did on Saturday. I was pleased with the work flow for the most part, different from ACR but largely as capable with a few goodies that even ACR doesn't have.

I did notice that the color temperature adjustment does not match ACR. I had to use settings that were a few hundred K lower than I normally would use. And the only feature I found missing was vignette control. I do have word from the developers that this feature is planned for a future release.

I tried the Perfectly Clear setting, and it does seem to work and work effectively to jazz up a photo and make the exposure look pretty good. I still could milk a little more out of the image by fine tuning saturation, contrast, and exposure, but that just makes sense mwink.gif

All in all, I was impressed, and was able to be productive within a short time. Now that the initial learning curve, I look forward to getting deep into it and bend it to my will rolleyes1.gif

Anyone out there use Bibble? Any tips or resources you know of?

I hadn't heard of it. Then again, I don't shoot RAW and the product probably isn't much use to me. At least, not until I buy my next camera.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006

I tried a trial version of Bibble Pro 4.7 and was quite taken with it. If I didn't already have and use DxO Optics Pro, I'd choose Bibble.

You probably know that PT Lens is available as a plugin, and works nicely.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    I tried a trial version of Bibble Pro 4.7 and was quite taken with it. If I didn't already have and use DxO Optics Pro, I'd choose Bibble.

You probably know that PT Lens is available as a plugin, and works nicely.
    Yes, it's nice. It reads the lens and focal length used so all I have to do is click on the checkbox to apply the correction if needed. Pretty cool stuff.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    AardAard Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 25, 2006
    How reliable have you found Bibble? When I tried the trial it crashed repeatedly.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    Activation is new to us Mac people and I haven't had an issue with it yet (though I do believe I have inadverntly tossed away one of my activations). What problems in particular were you having with activation? Something I should worry about as well?
    Should be fun. Might want to check the Pro Photo Community forums about Bibble (the old Galbraith forums). I wonder if Bibble would compile and run under OS-X in an xterm window?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu