Options

Provence - South of France

marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
edited May 1, 2006 in Landscapes
Last week we spent in the Provence in the South of France. The village we were in is called Bedoin and lies at the bottom of the Mont Ventoux. Weather was nice, and it was the time of blossoming of the fruit trees.

66819171-L.jpg
exif

This area is known for it's nice wines, but this was the very start of the season, where the leaves are just beginning to show. In some time, the next spot would present a totally different sight, with green leaves showing everywhere.

66819151-M.jpg
exif

The Mont Ventoux I spoke about is quite a climb that is often featured in the Tour de France, and a favorite among amateur cyclists. All day long you could see cyclists going out of their way to climb the 1500 meters on a 20 km road. When they had this view (although many gave the impression they saw nothing more than their front wheel....), they were near to the top, and most were exhausted at that point. Not us, since we were on our descent from our walk to the top. ;)

66819175-M.jpg
url

Next to spending some time walking in the villages and on the hills and mountains in our immediate surroundings -and relaxing-, we also visited Avignon, the home of the French popes back when. I just love to roam the streets of these old french cities.

66819181-L.jpg
exif

And as always, it pays to look up. Chances are, you get to see something nice and colorful.

66819192-L.jpg
exif
enjoy being here while getting there

Comments

• Options
    controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    I was very excited to see your post and your pictures!

I am one of those amateur cyclists who will be making my first pilgramage to Mont Ventoux this summer :-) The lunar landscape and the height of the mountain compared to everything around it come through in your shot. I hope, as you mention some have issues looking around on that climb, that I can enjoy it a little. :D

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    I'm glad you liked it. I do have a shot taken near St Colombe (the first village after Bedoin, the official starting point of the south climb), where you can see the top.

66819130-M.jpg

Don't let the perspective fool you. It's still far, and high up. ;) You still need to get to Les Bruns and St. Esteve from there, then the Forest, then Chalet Reynard, then the Furnace.

The reward, the high speed descent, is as breathtaking as the climb.

66013571-M.jpg
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    I like the 2nd shot of the descending rider there alot. I can't speak to the composition from an artistic perspective but as a cyclist I like it. I am sure knowing the stories behind the mountain help... thanks for putting those other two up.

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes