Options

Shoot-out Attendees, Please Read & Reply! Vegas to Bryce Transportatoin

grannyrobingrannyrobin Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited May 16, 2006 in The Big Picture
We want to check to see that everyone who needs a ride from Vegas to Bryce has a ride. So... I'm going to post what we know so far about rides and riders. I've got lots of stuff I just don't know about. I really don't want to get a weekend message from a certain photographer, a message along the lines of "Can't you count, granny?" I'm hoping you'll help me out here.

VEGAS TO BRYCE CANYON DRIVERS AND RIDERS LIST

Nik is renting an AWD. Riders include Mike Lane, Michiel de Brieder, and Kudbegud. Right? (Yes, confirmed by Andy).

Andy has a Mini-van - + 4 (or 5)

Virginia Bonesteel - + 3 (Maxine Niblock and 2 more)

Dragon - + 5 (CWPhotos, Bob Bell, nwilkins, Ann McRae, Gluwater)

Jeremy & Lars Olsen + 2

CatOne, Paola + 2

Which brings me to my main question: which of the following people could use a ride from Vegas to Bryce?

Tony DeJoie and Mrs. DeJoie
Adam Grim and Kendall.
Denny Cox.
Matt Updenkelder.

I'd really like to know first whether each person needs a ride. Secondly whether each person knows right now that they have a ride.

If anyone's clueless, who cares? Just say so. If my listing is botched, just say that, too. I'd much, much rather find out sooner than later.

Wishing each of you a very fun trip...
-grannyrobin

Comments

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    I have rented a car and will be bringing Maxine Niblock with me from Vegas. We can probably take one more person comfortably. Maxine is doing the post-shoot shoot and I will be returning to Vegas from Zion on Sunday May 21 - so far without passengers.

Virginia Bonesteel

Email
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Ed Hughes and Mrs. Hughes. + Connie

We're actually going to be traveling around a bit before the shootout and we'll be at Bryce the day before everyone else.

We're covered...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I have rented a car and will be bringing Maxine Niblock with me from Vegas. We can probably take one more person comfortably. Maxine is doing the post-shoot shoot and I will be returning to Vegas from Zion on Sunday May 21 - so far without passengers.

Virginia Bonesteel

We might cram 2 deal.gif Get cozy, girls!
    I think we could auction off the seats next to our four ladies - lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2006
    REMEMBER: EVERYONE is chipping in and sharing the costs of the cars on this trip. Riders *and* drivers.
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    I thought we were riding with Gary aka Dragon300z. He has given me an approximate cost, etc....
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    I'm a little out of the loop at this point, but I was under the assumption that the RV that Nik was renting was for the post-shootout. I'll have to get spun back up if not.

If it is for the shootout and the post-shootout, I'm with Nik. If not, I've got a prius with room for 2 or 3 others with a small amount of bags.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I thought we were riding with Gary aka Dragon300z. He has given me an approximate cost, etc....

No worries bob your covered. Check the list of names after "Dragon". This is mainly for the names in the second list that aren't accounted for.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    I won't be going to vegas... I'm arriving at Bryce a day early (16th) up from NM/AZ so I'm covered.
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Kate and I are driving in from parts unknown to Bryce and going to parts
    unknown after the shoot. (we're driving from Mn.)

We're taking the Subaru so the back seat in really tight. While we're jumping
    between the parks we should be able to help out with a ride.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    DavidTO and aeronut are driving straight up from LA area to Bryce, to arrive on the 16th.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited April 30, 2006
    Pathfinder and Nightingale and Rutt will be arriving Bryce, Wednesday afternoon from Escalante Utah.

We will not be in Las Vegas before or after the shootout.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Editha and I are renting a car in Vegas. After the shootout we are heading west to death valley.

ANy transport assistance we can give will only be one way...
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    GREAPER wrote:
    Editha and I are renting a car in Vegas. After the shootout we are heading west to death valley.

ANy transport assistance we can give will only be one way...

And how many can you take from LV to Bryce? ear.gif
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    And how many can you take from LV to Bryce? ear.gif

Paola and I will have a car. We could take 1 more... possibly 2.

We are staying 4 nights at Zion, though, so I'm not sure we wouldn't leave someone stranded.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2006
    CatOne wrote:
    Paola and I will have a car. We could take 1 more... possibly 2.

We are staying 4 nights at Zion, though, so I'm not sure we wouldn't leave someone stranded.

Bill, you'll have a car in Vegas? And can take 1 (possibly 2) to Bryce? Just being clear...
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    Nik's info:
    Nik is renting an AWD. Riders include Mike Lane, Michiel de Brieder, and Kudbegud. Right? (Yes, confirmed by Andy).

Well, for the shootout I'm renting a large sedan (e.g. Ford Taurus) early morning Wed 17th at LV airport (Hertz) and leaving it at St.George Sunday morning. And the abovementioned gentlemen are riding with me.

However, is somebody else needs a ride AND is OK with this schedule, I can definitely get a larger vehicle (van) - on the condition that this person will be able to return it to LV on his/her own. If that be the case please let me know ASAP.

Starting Sunday we're getting RV plus Path is joining us in his vehicle.. Jack is assumed to ride with us on RV, but since he'd have his Acura anyway (by default leaving it parked in St.George for the duration of the Post-shootout Lake Powel trip), that can be discussed also...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    digital_gopherdigital_gopher Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    Lars and I are planning on renting a car in LV on 5/16 and returning Sunday in time for a 6 pm flight. Should have room for 1 or 2 more people.

Jeremy
  • Options
    tonydtonyd Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Ok, I just noticed this new (new to me) thread and I suppose I need to determine real soon if I can get a ride or should rent a car. I arrive in LV on Tuesday afternoon and will be departing from LV early afternoon on Monday May 22.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Bill, you'll have a car in Vegas? And can take 1 (possibly 2) to Bryce? Just being clear...

Correct. Once they're in Bryce they'd be on their own.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    CatOne wrote:
    Correct. Once they're in Bryce they'd be on their own.
    I'm not following that last part -
    We're all sort of expecting that all seats in all cars will be filled up as we head out on our photo excursions... And all the riders will be bringing cash for car $$$ sharing.

Yeah?
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Excursions, cars, etc.
    Andy wrote:
    We're all sort of expecting that all seats in all cars will be filled up as we head out on our photo excursions... And all the riders will be bringing cash for car $$$ sharing.

Yeah?

Just to make sure:

Bryce has a very nice free shuttle system (much better than Yosemite's)that runs a bus every 10-15 min. Really no need for a car UNLESS: we're going too early/too late, or outside the park borders. Also note: after hours there may be no place to park the car AFAIK, which kinda renders using it useless. We had to walk about a mile from the place we were staying to get to the sunrise point.

Excursions outside Bryce is a different story, but I don't think we all gonna take them at the same time. Afterall, we came to see Bryce, didn't we? mwink.gif

Zion: private vehicles are NOT allowed inside Zion Canyon, period. Only park's own natural gas-operated shuttles (also about every 15 minutes throughout the day). Again, excursions outside the canyon is a different story (see above).

HTH
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 11, 2006
    Granny,
    No need to worry about me. I sent Andy an email on the 1st, informing him that for a number of reasons I will be unable to attend :cry

I hope everyone has a blast. Knowing how well you SM folks set these up, that's almost guaranteed :D My biggest regret is that I will miss meeting all the Dgrinners that will be there. Oh wellll.......

Steve

PS; whoever gets selected to be Andy's roomie should make sure that they bring earplugs lol3.gif Not that Andy snores much, he just talks about food in his sleep :lol
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Well, for the shootout I'm renting a large sedan (e.g. Ford Taurus) early morning Wed 17th at LV airport (Hertz) and leaving it at St.George Sunday morning. And the abovementioned gentlemen are riding with me.

However, is somebody else needs a ride AND is OK with this schedule, I can definitely get a larger vehicle (van) - on the condition that this person will be able to return it to LV on his/her own. If that be the case please let me know ASAP.

Starting Sunday we're getting RV plus Path is joining us in his vehicle.. Jack is assumed to ride with us on RV, but since he'd have his Acura anyway (by default leaving it parked in St.George for the duration of the Post-shootout Lake Powel trip), that can be discussed also...

Hoo boy, now I'm confused. So I'm riding for the shootout in the rented vehicle? If so then my prius will be parked in Vegas and I therefore won't be able to drive anyone. Clarification and schedule please Nik...ear.gif

• Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Mike,
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Hoo boy, now I'm confused. So I'm riding for the shootout in the rented vehicle? If so then my prius will be parked in Vegas and I therefore won't be able to drive anyone. Clarification and schedule please Nik...ear.gif

Since you were opposed to the idea of leaving your prius in St.George, like, say, Calfeerider (which is totally your call and I have zero grudge with that), we could not use your prius as a transportation mean en route LV - Bryce - Zion - St.George, hence we had to arrange for a rental car, hence you could as well ride with us...:): Anyway - call me if still confused...:D
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Since you were opposed to the idea of leaving your prius in St.George, like, say, Calfeerider (which is totally your call and I have zero grudge with that), we could not use your prius as a transportation mean en route LV - Bryce - Zion - St.George, hence we had to arrange for a rental car, hence you could as well ride with us...:): Anyway - call me if still confused...:D

Okay got it. Man it's been a while. Am I all settled up as far as cash goes? One request for a bit of a change of itenerary. I'd like to park my car at Nellis AFB for the duration of the shootout/post shootout. What are the chances that someone could either drive me from nellis to the motel 6 or that you guys could pick me up at the Nellis front gate? If it isn't possible I'll just take a cab, but it'll cost $40 or $50 for that so I'd rather not if I don't have to.

So lemme get all this straight. Depart Vegas at 0830 on the 17th, do the bryce/zion thing then stop in st george when we're done to pick up the party wagon. Do our post shootout shootout thing and then drop the RV off in Vegas? And then go on our merry ways from there. Is that about right?

• Options
    edited May 12, 2006
    Mike,
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Okay got it. Man it's been a while. Am I all settled up as far as cash goes? One request for a bit of a change of itenerary. I'd like to park my car at Nellis AFB for the duration of the shootout/post shootout. What are the chances that someone could either drive me from nellis to the motel 6 or that you guys could pick me up at the Nellis front gate? If it isn't possible I'll just take a cab, but it'll cost $40 or $50 for that so I'd rather not if I don't have to.

So lemme get all this straight. Depart Vegas at 0830 on the 17th, do the bryce/zion thing then stop in st george when we're done to pick up the party wagon. Do our post shootout shootout thing and then drop the RV off in Vegas? And then go on our merry ways from there. Is that about right?

Your front gate is almost exactly on our way to Bryce, so I can easily pick you up (as well as anybody else who starts in Vegas:-).

You're pretty much on the money with everything else except the last part. We drop RV at St.Geroge, Jack gets his MDX and we losers take a shuttle to LV. *Then* we go our merry ways (Michiel, Kudbegud and me are spending the night in the same Motel 6, or shall I say, on the Strip:-). Or, maybe, Jack gives us a ride to LV (Jack - we gonna pay cash:-).
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread but Editha and I have been so busy we have not talked about our plans even though we made them months ago.

We arrive in Vegas in the afternnon on the 16th. We are not spending the night there.

We leave from there and spend the night at the Seven Wives Inn-St George Utah . We will be meeting up with the group on the 17th.

I doubt that fits with anyone elses plans, but let me know.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited May 13, 2006
    Diana and I have a small rental car mostly filled with us and the luggage. We're not traveling to or from Vegas. We'll meet everyone at Ruby's. We do have room for one person if need be between Bryce and Zion.

Looks like we're down to 46 now, if I'm countng accurately. :cry
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Yeah?

That's fine. I guess what I'm saying is we are staying a couple extra nights in Bryce, so can't provide any transport back to Vegas... will be hanging out with my folks.
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Your front gate is almost exactly on our way to Bryce, so I can easily pick you up (as well as anybody else who starts in Vegas:-).

You're pretty much on the money with everything else except the last part. We drop RV at St.Geroge, Jack gets his MDX and we losers take a shuttle to LV. *Then* we go our merry ways (Michiel, Kudbegud and me are spending the night in the same Motel 6, or shall I say, on the Strip:-). Or, maybe, Jack gives us a ride to LV (Jack - we gonna pay cash:-).

Hey Nik, I'm already on the road and in Southern AZ this evening to shoot the saguaro's that are - hopefully - in bloom so I have limited email access. We may need to play the ride back from St George to LV by ear. My g/f will be in LV visiting her folks and depending on what their plans are may affect what I end up doing. So unless reservations for the shuttle are required, we can discuss more as the week progresses and things shake out - who needs a ride where etc.
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM