Options

Golf shoot

GiselleGiselle Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited May 1, 2006 in Sports
Hi All
I have a shoot this Friday for a golfing event. It will be a 3pm. I have never done this before, if any of you have, I would love to hear any advise or of mistakes to learn from.
I know they want some action shots, all foursomes, winner shots and candids at the crawfish boil afterwards. Thanks
Giselle

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    The one golden rule!
    Giselle wrote:
    I would love to hear any advise or of mistakes to learn from.
    Never, ever, click the shutter within earshot of any player who is in the process of readying for, or actually playing, a shot until after the club has struck the ball!
  • Options
    jrglassjrglass Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    I'm not sure what type of shots you have in mind. I followed a couple of "up and coming" golfers around and ended up with some shots I really liked. Check them out at http://www.jrglassphotography.com/gallery/362355 and see any of those shots gives you an idea.
    Never, ever, click the shutter within earshot of any player who is in the process of readying for, or actually playing, a shot until after the club has struck the ball!
  • Options
    VMacVMac Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Well, shooting for clients is much different than the general sports photography I like to shoot (since the former is mostly about making sure you get good, recognizable shots of each individual). That said, here's what I learned in my very limited experience with golf:

If you time the bunker (sand blast) shot just right, it is almost always a winner.

Don't be afraid to bring your longest lenses -- not only to get around the noise issue noted above, but to create some dramatic shots (particularly off the tee).

If there are any vantage points that let you get a decent elevation over the (putting) green, that can also make for some dramatic shots (especially with some shadow play).

If it is an informal event, and some of the participants don't mind, you are really in luck... because then you can get some cool wide angle shots right near them -- for instance putting your camera just a couple feet outside the teed up golf ball during their swing.

I'm still waiting to try some of these... so take with a grain of salt. :D
    Canon gear
    vmac.smugmug.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    General golf etiquette:
    • Never make any noise when the golfer is preparing to swing, and is swinging. This restricts you to aftermath shots - but doesn't exclude the possibility of getting the ball in the frame.
    • Don't move either.
    • Don't step on anyone's putting line on the green (the line their ball will follow to the hole.)
    • Don't step in bunkers without raking them afterwards.
    • Don't stand where a golfer's ball can hit you (this one you may need to massage - a long lens from the side of the fairway may end up being your best shot.)

Classic golf shots include:
    • A full follow-through and face after a shot with longer clubs, including tee shots, club in the frame.
    • Full or partial body with club, and a chunk of sod or dirt flying off the clubhead, with medium and short irons.
    • A spray of sand and the ball, on bunker shots.
    • And arm-pumping celebration after a made putt.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2006
    thanks for the info...
    I will do my best to remember the rules, and hope to get a few nice guys willing to let me be a bit of an annoyance for a couple good shots (I'm expecting most to be pretty boring). My husband told me to dress like the beer cart girls and they may be more willing to accommodate.mwink.gif
    Giselle
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    If you dress like the beer cart girls, they'll be taking the pictures of you!!!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    mknphotosmknphotos Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Please...
    ...you're beautiful. I doubt that anyone will care if you are right up in their face with a 18mm lens shooting away on auto advance as they make their shot. That's what mulligans are for anyway!
    Giselle wrote:
    I will do my best to remember the rules, and hope to get a few nice guys willing to let me be a bit of an annoyance for a couple good shots (I'm expecting most to be pretty boring). My husband told me to dress like the beer cart girls and they may be more willing to accommodate.mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2006
    mknphotos wrote:
    That's what mulligans are for anyway!
    I've searched and searched, but I can't find any reference to the expression 'mulligan' in the golf rules sanctioned by the R&A and the USGA.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    If you dress like the beer cart girls, they'll be taking the pictures of you!!!
    rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2006
    Mulligan...
    Mulligan v. - To retake an awful golf shot because a hot photographer was in your face and you couldn't concentrate on your shot.
    I've searched and searched, but I can't find any reference to the expression 'mulligan' in the golf rules sanctioned by the R&A and the USGA.
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    A lot depends on the type of event. A scramble tournament with a bunch of liquored up hackers does not require the finesse of a tour type event or even a club championship.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2006
    mknphotos wrote:
    Mulligan v. - To retake an awful golf shot because a hot photographer was in your face and you couldn't concentrate on your shot.

I'm not all that but I can usually get away with more just because I'm a girl. Can you blame me? Work with what ya got, right?
    Giselle
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    A lot depends on the type of event. A scramble tournament with a bunch of liquored up hackers does not require the finesse of a tour type event or even a club championship.

It is a scramble put on by a salesmen, with plenty of drinks.
    Giselle
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2006
    Here's my favorite from the golf gig...
    I hope he didn't hear me laughing, I was really trying not to, I just couldn't help it. This stretching went on for a good 2 minutes...
    Giselle
  • Options
    VMacVMac Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    There are so many things so wrong with that photo! And none have anything to do with your photography. rolleyes1.gif
    Canon gear
    vmac.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2006
    VMac wrote:
    There are so many things so wrong with that photo! And none have anything to do with your photography. rolleyes1.gif

It was so funny, the pic is oof because I couldn't see because my eyes were tearing up. But I had to share it...
    Giselle
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    Giselle wrote:
    I hope he didn't hear me laughing, I was really trying not to, I just couldn't help it. This stretching went on for a good 2 minutes...
    Giselle wrote:
    Work with what ya got, right?
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Giselle wrote:
    It was so funny, the pic is oof because I couldn't see because my eyes were tearing up. But I had to share it...

he was probably hamming it up if he did hear you, putting on a show and enjoying it... and what a show it was! :D:D

thanks for sharing
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    Giselle wrote:
    lol3.gif That's a very strange stretch indeed!
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    he was probably hamming it up if he did hear you, putting on a show and enjoying it... and what a show it was! :D:D

thanks for sharing

I really don't think he was, he seemed pretty shy to mene_nau.gif
    Giselle
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    first try...
    Giselle
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    second try...
    Giselle
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    screw it...
    Giselle
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    Giselle wrote:
    screw it...
    Is his name Mulligan?
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    Is his name Mulligan?

Is there a word for multiple mulligan? I got blamed for many bad shots...but they were all nice (mostly a bunch of flirts) and didn't care if I took pics, everyone was pretty wasted, one guy fell down while teeing off, too bad I didn't get a shot of it
    Giselle
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Giselle wrote:
    Is there a word for multiple mulligan? I got blamed for many bad shots...but they were all nice (mostly a bunch of flirts) and didn't care if I took pics, everyone was pretty wasted, one guy fell down while teeing off, too bad I didn't get a shot of it

This is turning into the funniest thread posted for a long time... Keep posting.clap.gif

Bod.
    friday.gif
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited April 30, 2006
    I think you got some nice shots there!

Golf has a lot of really weird rules. Did you know that you can't place your
    club in the sand to gauge how dry or wet it is? Yep, Gives you an "unfair"
    advantage. Bet you didn't know that if you putt into someone else's ball
    that's a two stroke penalty--neither did I.

Guess I better read the rule book since I'll be one of those drunks playing in
    a scramble in a couple of weeks :D It's a memorial tournament for a fallen
    firefighter.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2006
    Giselle wrote:

I told you that you would cause a lot of Mulligan's out there!!!

iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I think you got some nice shots there!

Golf has a lot of really weird rules. Did you know that you can't place your
    club in the sand to gauge how dry or wet it is? Yep, Gives you an "unfair"
    advantage. Bet you didn't know that if you putt into someone else's ball
    that's a two stroke penalty--neither did I.

Guess I better read the rule book since I'll be one of those drunks playing in
    a scramble in a couple of weeks :D It's a memorial tournament for a fallen
    firefighter.

If your scramble is anything like the one I shot I don't think you need to worry about the rule book! Just don't drink so much you fall off the tee box...you never know someone could get a picture of it and post it in a forum!
    Giselle
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2006
    mknphotos wrote:
    I told you that you would cause a lot of Mulligan's out there!!!

iloveyou.gif

Nah, I think it had more to do with XX not the DD!
    Giselle