Options

Angeles Crest Trip

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 23, 2006 in Landscapes
Initially I thought to go to he Poppy reserve, but due to the weather conditions decided to go out a bit closer, and drive some miles on Angeles Crest Hwy.

Litte creek:

65785821-L.jpg

30 sec exposure of the moving clouds:

65785979-L.jpg

Tijunga Dam:

65786261-L.jpg

"A bridge too far":

65786575-L.jpg

Fog was getting thicker:

65786992-L.jpg

Trees in the fog:

65787058-L.jpg

From time to time there was some sun patches far away:

65787153-L.jpg

The fire road abruptly ended and we had to go back:

65787383-L.jpg

Clouds over greater LA:

65787455-L.jpg

Downtown LA (from about 20-30 miles, at 400mm):

65787504-L.jpg

The rest is here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/1392499

Thanks for watching! Sorry, no sun today..:dunno

Cheers! :1drink
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 23, 2006
    great shots Nik thumb.gif

Did you come down the Crest from the Palmdale side? I've traveled the road from N. Glendale to Mt Wilson and have never seen that dam. Damn!
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Thanks for taking me along for the ride.ylsuper.gif

I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    Angelo,
    Angelo wrote:
    great shots Nik thumb.gif

Did you come down the Crest from the Palmdale side? I've traveled the road from N. Glendale to Mt Wilson and have never seen that dam. Damn!

Thanks!

No, I came from Big Tijunga Canyon Road. As you can see from the map, it merges into Angeles Crest Hwy just a mile or two after the Dam.

I was hoping to get into the Little Rock Lake, but our attempt to use fire roads failed:-(. Next time, I guess...
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    Ric,
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Thanks for taking me along for the ride.ylsuper.gif

I enjoyed it.

My pleasure, thanks for watching!thumb.gif
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Great trip
    I like the "sun patches" one... so reminds me of our coastal fog. I'll be standing in dreary gray, but if I look east I can see blue sky and some sun on the hills. It's frustrating when I've been fogged in too long.

You got a great photo of it. Also liked the shots of the dam...
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    Thanks, Dee!
    Dee wrote:
    I like the "sun patches" one... so reminds me of our coastal fog. I'll be standing in dreary gray, but if I look east I can see blue sky and some sun on the hills. It's frustrating when I've been fogged in too long.

You got a great photo of it. Also liked the shots of the dam...

I am well familiar with coastal fog, so I can easily relay to your feelings. Luckily, our place of living is 10-15 miles from the shore and most of the time fog does not hit us (except for the cold winter nights). Mountains, of course, are whole other story..

Appreciate your comments!thumb.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks!

No, I came from Big Tijunga Canyon Road. As you can see from the map, it merges into Angeles Crest Hwy just a mile or two after the Dam.

I was hoping to get into the Little Rock Lake, but our attempt to use fire roads failed:-(. Next time, I guess...

Nik,

Great pics man! I like the one of the dam a lot. Yeah, those roads will surprise you. I can't tell you how many times I try to take hwy 2 over to the Pasedina area from the Antelope Valley, and I run into a closed gate. Grrr. I think they're still doing some fire and rock-slide clean-up.

I didn't actually go shooting today. Instead, I decided to nearly kill myself by going on a 19 mile mountain bike trek that took about 8 hours to ride, with about a 3500 ft alt gain. And, to top things off, it was muddy, socked in with clouds so we couldn't enjoy the view, and our map had errors on it. So, I'm sitting here nursing my wounds instead of playing with the new toy. Oh well, that time will come. :D
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    Kendall,
    aero-nut wrote:
    Nik,

Great pics man! I like the one of the dam a lot. Yeah, those roads will surprise you. I can't tell you how many times I try to take hwy 2 over to the Pasedina area from the Antelope Valley, and I run into a closed gate. Grrr. I think they're still doing some fire and rock-slide clean-up.

I didn't actually go shooting today. Instead, I decided to nearly kill myself by going on a 19 mile mountain bike trek that took about 8 hours to ride, with about a 3500 ft alt gain. And, to top things off, it was muddy, socked in with clouds so we couldn't enjoy the view, and our map had errors on it. So, I'm sitting here nursing my wounds instead of playing with the new toy. Oh well, that time will come. :D

Thanks, man!
    Yeah, them fire roads can get tricky..:-(

19 miles on a MB, and that alt gain.. Wow! I hope you at least feel good about it and have a sense of accomplishment:-)
    Heal fast and start shooting! You're not gonna start breaking in your new toy only in Utah, are you? mwink.gif
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks, man!
    Yeah, them fire roads can get tricky..:-(

19 miles on a MB, and that alt gain.. Wow! I hope you at least feel good about it and have a sense of accomplishment:-)
    Heal fast and start shooting! You're not gonna start breaking in your new toy only in Utah, are you? mwink.gif
    Thanks. Not too sore yet, but I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow. No, I'm sure I'll break it in plenty before then. Just gotta make the time. I'll be going to New Mexico this coming weekend, so that'll be a good opportunity to go crazy with pics.

9496500-Ti.gif