Options

Learned something new

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited April 6, 2006 in Technique
For me anyway. I always avoided shooting into the sun...but NOW I love it! I never took the time to fool with balanced fill flash...but today I did and I love the results. Pictures really come alive with the sun lighting the back of the subject.

This isn't a masterpiece, but it shows the effect I think.

63006978-L.jpg

And here's a better example. I took these today.

63008946-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Isnt it great when you learn a new trick and it comes together.
    Nice goingthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    Isnt it great when you learn a new trick and it comes together.
    Nice goingthumb.gif

Yep :) I think the reason I never messed with fill flash is because I didn't want to drag out the SB600 flash and worry about recharging batteries for it, etc. I recently bought a 15 minnute charger with 2400 mAh batteries and that helps a lot!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited April 4, 2006
    With film and non-automated cameras and flashes, fill flash was really hard to do.

But today, with modern DSLRs and their companion flashes, it is as easy as selecting ETTL and Av mode, at least on the Canon side of the aisle.

I agree - I like and use fill flash frequently in sunlight also. Nice point to emphasize and your pictures do it well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Lyle CLyle C Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Nice shots, esecially the top one. Looks like I need to start pulling my flash out more often!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 5, 2006
    that first shot is a winner thumb.gif

fill flash technique is good but you have to be careful... too much back light will give a halo effect that makes the subject look like a bad paste job.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited April 6, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    With film and non-automated cameras and flashes, fill flash was really hard to do.

But today, with modern DSLRs and their companion flashes, it is as easy as selecting ETTL and Av mode, at least on the Canon side of the aisle.

I agree - I like and use fill flash frequently in sunlight also. Nice point to emphasize and your pictures do it well.

It's just iTTL for Nikon folks, and many think it works a little differently, and better, than the Canon implementation. I can testify that Canon E-TTL can get fooled on center-weighted cameras, but true spot-mode capable cameras are supposed to work better.

Both technologies are better than TTL or auto-mode flash, especially when time is-a-wastin'.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    I was in matrix/multi-pattern metering mode for these shots. I rarely switch off from matrix metering unless I'm having a hard time getting a shot to look how I want it. I also had the flash dialed down -0.7 and the flash unit (SB600) in balanced fill mode. I've been walking around the yard the last few days using the setup (whether there was backlighting or not) and I'm liking the results :) No difuser on the flash unit either.